Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2007, 20:17   #1

Boat: Searunner 31
Portable Galley recommendations

I've inherited a lovely small tri with no galley.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to assemble or buy a small but relatively functional galley for a cuddy cabin?
I have to work with the following space: 24" wide x 20" deep by 18" high
I can put sink & icebox elsewhere if needed.
Need stove, prep counter, coffee stuff, dish & flatware storage.
Extra points if it's removable for off-season.
Old 31-05-2007, 21:49   #2
Kai Nui

Yes, I can recomend this stove
F0-837251 FORCE 10 BARBECUE
I have owned 2 of them, and love them. This should also be good for the extra points
Attached Images

Old 31-05-2007, 22:11   #3
Kai Nui

Counter top can be built to fit out of teak strips. And for coffee, this is a must. Nothing makes better coffee.
Espresso Stovetop Makers
For hot water, a thermos works great. Cut a hole in the counter top to hold the thermos, and if you install a basin, get the pump style for coffee. It can be used to run hot water when doing dishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9993espresso_stovetop.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1231  
Attached Images

Old 31-05-2007, 22:26   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
We used a Magma BBQ on the last boat and a gas burner with disposable cartridges as pictured. Reasoning being was that 90% of our cooking is Asian style and done in a wok.

You can get various Chinese imports in Australia for as little as $15, with a canister costing $2.

They come in a hard, re-usable plastic case.

When these start to look manky after about 3 years , just chuck it and get a newie .

You can use it up top on a hot still night and even take it ashore to use.

I would highly recomend these.

*Portable Gas Cooker Model IRST002

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-48_1_b.jpg

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1947_14283005
Old 01-06-2007, 01:21   #5

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Stove - It really depends on how far you want to go. Staying in the states the Kyenton 1 burner from West Marine is a good choice and portable.

Coffie - long threads on this. I like mine hot and there is a backpacker one from REI that fits inside of the cup or bottle. Nice, fast and hot. Less than $ 10

Work space - Recommend a fold up table or something over the sink.

Dishware and flatware storage. Get a big preasure cooker without a long handle. Like this one - Kuhn Rikon Switzerland Products: Duromatic Thermal-cooker
The 5L is a little taller than the 3L and about the same price. OR check out the different backpacker supply sites and you should find something that will work well.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:45   #6

Boat: C&C 27
I'm using the same stove and espresso maker that Kai suggests. The stove works pretty well and Mirror makes a pressure cooker thtat fits the top exactly. The espresso maker also works well but take care not to overfill it or risk getting scalded on a moving boat. Consider contacting Force 10 and getting an additional bracket for the stove. Mount one inside for rainy days and one outside for days when you prefer not to heat the cabin. For a prep counter check out the fold out counters from the RV store. They are not marine grade but you can get some ideas of how to make something that will be.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:15   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The best little portable stove is the one Cat Man Do mentioned. They are available for about $25. West Marine sells the same thing for $65. A six pack of butane goes for $5. I carry one as a back up if I ever run out of propane and they're very useful if you're having a beach party.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:05   #8
Kai Nui

A quick and simple counter top. I plan on doing this in the pilot house of my tri. Take a large cutting board (available from Kmart, Target, or wherever). Mount it on a hinge below the stove brkt (if you go with the Force 10). Set it to fold down with a hinged prop underneath. You will have a nice counter work space, and can move it out of the way when using the stove inside. With the second brkt, you can use the stove outside mounted to the bulkhead for most cooking.
Old 02-06-2007, 00:00   #9

Thumbs up Beginning Work...

Well, I found the Force 10 online, but found the Korean butane miracle stove recommended by Cat Man Do at the local asian market for $26 - I even found a stanless steel model. So my galley starts with the butane stove.
Next I'll look for the cutting-board counter and a flip-down sink arrangement.
After that I'll start on the coffee.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 00:11   #10
Kai Nui

Hope to see some photos as you go along. Although I woould have to start with the coffee. Can't work until I feed the addiction.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:48   #11

Paint & Prep

I'll see what I can get posted before and after it goes in.
I'm hoping to build the basic setup at home then slide it into the space.

The SeaRunner 25 is a lovely boat, but many of the spaces are so small that it's really hard to do much with them. The galley space is about the size and layout of a larger boat's nav station: sit on a bench facing athwartships under the hatch, then pass the results into the cockpit for comfort and headroom.

With the low cabin overhead I may have to shift longer cooking operations to the cockpit or stern pulpit (rail barbecue) - hence the hope for a removable solution.

Anyway, time to start work.
Old 02-06-2007, 19:37   #12

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Microcruising in the Bahamas

Take a look at this site for some ideas
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley