Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 08:08   #1

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Pots and pans

The Admiral and I are having a "discussion". It goes something like this, "I need to bring this" , " No, you're not taking that."
The conversation mostly revolves around my Griswold cast iron, which has taken YEARS to slowly acquire and which I use daily.
I can't find any posts or blogs about this very important subject and would like to take 3 or 4 of my most used pieces with me.
Other than a small to medium sized pressure cooker, what are "must haves" and what are items you brought that you tossed ? Who else out there is using or has used cast iron ?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 08:57   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Pots and pans

I'm not sure how cast iron would hold up on a boat. Maybe others have experience with them. I think you should take the utensils that you normally use the most. After tiring of moving pans to and from the boat, I purchased a set that stays on Amapola. I have a pressure cooker that I found in a thrift store and then bought a set of Magma nesting pans. They aren't cheap but I love them.
Old 26-07-2015, 18:52   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

We found a "boatload" of stainless steel bowls at Goodwill. They all nest together. Now when we go to Costco we're always looking for boat things. I'd hate to spend hundreds of dollars buying stuff I think would be great, only to find later it doesn't work as well as we thought.
All you serious Cruisers can let me know where to spend my meager earnings.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 19:34   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SSgtPitt,

The only item I wish I had brought that I gave away is a cast iron Dutch Oven. The only regret.... So I say, if you love your good cast iron skillet and Dutch oven, bring 'em along, keep 'em oiled. Make it work. Furthermore, it'll keep your wrists strong, too!

We actually have two pressure cookers. 6 qt. and 8 qt. Use 'em for different things, and like having tops that will by golly stay on in a rough seaway.

Ann
Old 26-07-2015, 20:01   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I love my nesting magma pot and pan set. Saved heaps of cupboard space.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-07-2015, 20:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I have an old cast iron griddle that's held up well these last 8 years aboard. As long as the cast iron is seasoned it will hold up well. I have just a mix and matched set of pans and pots, many from goodwill. The cast iron griddle was my grandmothers and then my mothers.

I find that I don't really use a pressure cooker all that much, like pretty much never. I have one, but it's just taking up space in the Quarter berth.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 20:27   #7

We brought all our pots and pans from home, and a full set of crockery too, though not the "good" crockery.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 20:37   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

After thinking about this a while, I'd say bring what you use most often, or has a special use, like you bake your favorite Christmas cake in that baking tin, favorite rolling pin, weird stuff like that. You'll only have to replace them. Better to make room for them from the get-go. This is especially true if you enjoy cooking, or the products you make that are favorites for you.

Ann
Old 27-07-2015, 02:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
After thinking about this a while, I'd say bring what you use most often, or has a special use, like you bake your favorite Christmas cake in that baking tin, favorite rolling pin, weird stuff like that. You'll only have to replace them. Better to make room for them from the get-go. This is especially true if you enjoy cooking, or the products you make that are favorites for you.

Ann

Agree completely!

I, too, left an excellent cast iron casserole dish in the UK when we left and regret it!
Old 27-07-2015, 04:44   #10

Boat: center console

Most important is to check to see what pots actually fit your cooktop, in the combinations you use most. I found that the pot holders on the stove top limited the sizes we could use, so I am looking to modify the top for a better fit.
Also, I can recommend Corning Corelle dishes. They are lightweight, compact, nearly indestructible, and not plastic!
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:00   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

We have a cast iron pan. For grilling we find it better than a barbecue which is often difficult to get real hot. If you like food take the best pots and pans you have.
Old 27-07-2015, 05:11   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cast iron does just fine on a boat. so do whatever your bettr half wants to use for cooking. let her win., your tastebuds will thank yourself when she cooks something awesome. back off the pots n pans stuff. she wins there.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:14   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I would suggest to save room you buy a combination cooking pot with strainer lid. We used ours for three years and still have it in the house now.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Trend...+with+strainer

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:14   #14

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Out of pure laziness, I size my pots and pans to fit the pan clamps so I don't have to move them. One burner small, for kettle and small sauce pan, one large for cast iron frying pan and large sauce pan.
I second the recommendation for Correlle dishes, I use the square ones cause they fit better in my tiny little boat.

goat (galley master )
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 10:01   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Magma nesting pot/pan set (stainless, with an encapsulated aluminum heat sink on the bottoms), slow cooker, pasta cooker/steamer, Corelle.

I don't doubt cast iron would work, but... storage space dictated.

-Chris