Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 10:21   #181
RPZ

Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Actually most of those stories of mayhem in New Orleans turned out not to be true afterwards. The reality on the ground was of people helping each other out, not preying on each other.

Our media will latch on to one story, and multiply and magnify it. And thus the fact get obscured that in general most people are nice people, who wish their neighbour no ill, and who will help each other in a crisis.
I have listened to firsthand account witnesses.

It wasn't just the murder and looting in parts of the city, it was thousands of people stranded in their houses, attics and rooftop with little or no potable water, food, and medical help.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:21   #182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
One more note about air rifles. As a kid we used to shoot BB guns at paper targets with a cloth behind them inside a cardboard box and we would reuse the BB's over and over again. I would think this would also work with pellets.
I would have to recomend extreme caution if you choose to reuse pellets. BB's are made of steel and wont deform however pellets are made of lead and deformation and jamming in the barrel would be a concern for me.
Old 23-02-2017, 10:33   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Today I scored big at goodwill . 2 10mm wetsuits for $10 USD each
10 mil? Takes what 25lbs of lead to sink them
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:34   #184
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Google does not tell you anything about the extent of the riots, only about the extent of the reporting on those riots.

You are displaying the same kind of bias as a European who thinks that mass school shootings in the US are a daily occurrence...

That is actually not true. I've been there. And I know the oft repeated "fact" of Sweden being the "rape capital". That is just an artificat of the way Sweden collects rape statistics, nothing more.

And I know people who live there. And I go there myself. I've actually lived there (but that was a while ago) Brussels is not my favorite city. But the press is again exaggerating massively here.

Newspapers and TV stations are in the business of making money. "If it bleeds it leads", and as a result bad news dominates, and a single incident gets picked up, amplified, editorialised until you get the impression that a lot more is going on than there really is.

There is no new s blackout. There is news amplification. It is utterly weird how the MSM gets accused of playing things down when they are observably doing the exact opposite.
MSM won't interview the Swedish police and firemen I have seen and listened to interviewed on camera. I have not seen MSN air any if the videos I have seen filmed in Mooslem portions if Swedish cities by independent journalist. Nor will they show the videos posted all over the web of the violence in many other cities, Paris included.

There were ethnic riots in places like Bradford, Leeds etc in the UK during the 1980s. They were virtually unreported in the U.S.

Yes, mass media is controlled.

Go into the mooooslem section of Brussels for a day, then come back and tell us about it. Take a camera and record your "experiences"

You are right about so-called "mass shootings" in America though. You got that one right.
Old 23-02-2017, 10:35   #185

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Also pellets have skirts that have thin edges. I wouldn't think this would cause them to jam they just wouldn't shoot very fast or accurately, don't shoot a pellet that is visually damaged and Always use fresh pellets when hunting of course.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:38   #186
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
10 mil? Takes what 25lbs of lead to sink them
With my water temps in the low 40's its worth the weight
Old 23-02-2017, 10:45   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
One more note about air rifles. As a kid we used to shoot BB guns at paper targets with a cloth behind them inside a cardboard box and we would reuse the BB's over and over again. I would think this would also work with pellets.
No, I have had a Beeman air rifle for years, interestingly although I took it Germany with me, it was illegal in Germany as its ft lbs of energy was too high. I didn't know that until after I arrived, so it never left its case in Germany. The one cock air rifles are called spring piston air rifles, Mine has a 30 mm heavy piston that you cock back, when you pull the trigger it lets it fly, and this is what compresses the air to drive the pellet. They require more skill to shoot than a gunpowder rifle because there is a lot more time after you pull the trigger before the pellet leaves the barrel.
You can cheat by putting one drop of oil into the cylinder, the compression is so high that the oil Diesels and pressures go way up, you can hear the crack as the pellet goes supersonic, bad for the gun though
Air rifles can be incredibly powerful, Lewis and Clark carried air rifles to shoot bears and other large game with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
Anyway a pellet engraves into the rifling of the barrel when it is shot, so its a one use deal.
However a pellet is much safer than a BB, reason is a lead pellet is hard to get to ricochet, but that steel ball that a BB is will ricochet all over the place.

"You'll shoot your eye out kid"
Old 23-02-2017, 10:46   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
With my water temps in the low 40's its worth the weight
I dive dry in 68F water, I'm a wuss
Old 23-02-2017, 11:22   #189
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have S&W and Beretta co2 guns and the pellets come from the catcher as flat as paper money. I know air rifles shoot faster than these co2 handguns.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:37   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have S&W and Beretta co2 guns and the pellets come from the catcher as flat as paper money. I know air rifles shoot faster than these co2 handguns.
I think my Beeman is around 900 FPS muzzle velocity with a Wad cutter, match pellet, less with a hunting pellet?
There is a lightweight pellet called a Laser pellet that it will often push supersonic, you know from the .22 sounding crack.
However a .177 pellet loses energy like nothing else, I doubt it will go 100 yds even fired like a Howitzer, but a 50 feet they are astonishingly accurate.
I enjoy precision shooting and many years ago some South African hunters invented "Mini-sniping" something that is more difficult that it sounds and is very much precision shooting without firearms, using usually Olympic quality air rifles
http://www.minisniping.org/articles_petercapstick.html
Old 23-02-2017, 12:03   #191
RPZ

K_V_B, and anyone else that wants to know what's happening in Sweden - and why you do really need a prepper boat - no matter how "civilized" your country is at the present time, just google:

Ewa-Gun Westford Malmo

Much in Swedish but some articles in English.

If things can get so bad in a "civilized" place like Sweden, it can happen anywhere else. And it is happening in other parts of Scandinavia and Europe.
Old 23-02-2017, 12:33   #192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I dive dry in 68F water, I'm a wuss
68°f thats shorts diving water for me
Becides couldnt.say no to ten bucks each
Old 23-02-2017, 12:47   #193

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

To see good in depth reporting on world events, check out "Frontline" and the "Independent Lens" series on PBS.

Also, about eurocities, Christiania (in Coppenhagen) is one of my favorite places in the world, some of you know why. Prague, Bilboa, Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Rimini, Casis, Vienna, and Amsterdam all hold fond memories for me. Paris, London, Berlin much less so but still good. Never had trouble anywhere, except with some NPA on a lonely road on Luzon in the P.I. But that's not Europe.

And, yes, the 10mm is a wrist breaking round. Hard to get good with that kicker. Would hate to have a hand to hand brawl with some big lug that could handle it well. 45acp is the go. As a peace lovin sailor, don't need 18 rounds at hand anyway.

And don't forget, zombies can walk on the bottom and climb your anchor chain.
Old 23-02-2017, 13:04   #194
RPZ

I suppose, given some reflection on various inputs here, that the ideal prepper boat is a fully stocked "ready to go" live aboard.

If you happen to be ashore, don't procrastinate, get to the dock as directly as you can.

Once you've made the decision that it is a good idea to leave, all you have to us start your motor, disconnect any AC and water connections and start casting lines, then go.
Old 23-02-2017, 13:08   #195
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

And don't forget, zombies can walk on the bottom and climb your anchor chain.
Two words. "Rat guards"