Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 13:13   #196
RPZ

Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Two words. "Rat guards"
There's the zombie trap too; just place a TV set tuned into prime time junk just forward of the mast on the cabin roof facing the bow. They'll all be quietly sitting on the foredeck in a memorized state.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:17   #197
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
I suppose, given some reflection on various inputs here, that the ideal prepper boat is a fully stocked "ready to go" live aboard.

If you happen to be ashore, don't procrastinate, get to the dock as directly as you can.

Once you've made the decision that it is a good idea to leave, all you have to us start your motor, disconnect any AC and water connections and start casting lines, then go.
With a properly prepaired vessel the water tanks should be.full as soon as practical after you come back to the marina . Also unless you liveaboard and need electric there realy is little reason to be on shore power when not needed. (Also helps longevity of zincs)
Old 23-02-2017, 13:46   #198
RPZ

Quote:
With a properly prepaired vessel the water tanks should be.full as soon as practical after you come back to the marina . Also unless you liveaboard and need electric there realy is little reason to be on shore power when not needed. (Also helps longevity of zincs)
Yeah I'd have additional gallon water containers and if I could afford it a watermaker ( or two )
Old 23-02-2017, 13:58   #199
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Yeah I'd have additional gallon water containers and if I could afford it a watermaker ( or two )
Get one of the pursurvivor 35 manual units . Got mine for under 200 on ebay. Works great just remember to repickle after testing. Also there is a thread on here on how to make it 12volt powered on the cheap.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-168329.html
Old 23-02-2017, 14:17   #200
RPZ

Cheers
Old 23-02-2017, 14:36   #201
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I love Spain. Especially the excellent pork products. Jamon Iberico yum! The assertion that it is somehow different or doesnt have the same problems as the rest of Europe is naive.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/2...-migrants.html

Its also not that different from tbe US. I have a brother in law who is a cop in Cacares. He is a total redneck. His dream is to be a cop in the US because then he could have a gun and get to shoot people.
Actually those pictures are taken in Cueta, N Africa.. and the Moorish influence stretched as far as Ireland I believe.. tho' its hard to find much evidence these days as histories have been edited/rewritten since I went to school..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:38   #202

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch

Anybody thinking they are going to shoot it out might as well sell their boat. The whole point of a well prepared vessel is to escape the carnage, not to participate in the carnage. If you reside on the Pacific Ocean, head south until you cross the equator, then look for a hospitable nation that is willing to let you anchor off their island. Nobody is going to take you in once the SHTF. You will essentially be a refugee, and the world is saturated with those. Stock your vessel to support you for at least three years. Use your head, not your brawn.

Good Luck!
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 08:55   #203
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post
Anybody thinking they are going to shoot it out might as well sell their boat. The whole point of a well prepared vessel is to escape the carnage, not to participate in the carnage. If you reside on the Pacific Ocean, head south until you cross the equator, then look for a hospitable nation that is willing to let you anchor off their island. Nobody is going to take you in once the SHTF. You will essentially be a refugee, and the world is saturated with those. Stock your vessel to support you for at least three years. Use your head, not your brawn.

Good Luck!
You have a great boat for.it to just love Brandlmayr designed boats .( just sold dads s42 )
Old 24-02-2017, 09:25   #204

Boat: Lancer 45... 45

Love this thread. My boat is being refitted not necessarily for end of the world type doomsday things but more towards end of the wallet doomsday things. Solar,wind, garden, still, additional space for provisioning, appliances and instruments not from the 80s lol
SetsunaSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 22:25   #205

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post

Good Luck!
Your option to be a victim, not mine. Free will is exceptional...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 00:29   #206

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
There are 25 caliber Springer rifles (air).
Quote:
Two words. "Rat guards"
Air rifles are great fun for shooting rats. Get good enough at it, then you can shoot and eat them after the zombie Apocalypse.

Quote:
68°f thats shorts diving water for me
Becides couldnt.say no to ten bucks each
Brrrrr. anything under 75°F means that it's time for this lizard to dry off and put on a jacket. Under 70 and I sail south.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:34   #207

Boat: Island Trader 37 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I would suggest iodine in med kit. A few drops in your water to help with radiation.

Definately a ham radio which brings one to need a self sufficient renewable power plant onboard. i.e. solar panels with LifePo4 battery bank.

Thermal and night vision viewing systems. New HD digital radar. And of course a water maker with 3 to 5 years worth of filters.

Fishing nets, lures and spearfishing gear.

Personal protection gear such as hand to hand long blade knifes, rifles, handguns and plenty of amo. Kevlar vests would be worthwhile as well.

Situational awareness a must.

1. Prepare to move quickly from Europe and North America - follow news of heightened tension between known western adversaries such as Russia, Iran, N Korea and China. The need for rapid relocation priot to a first attack is to preserve your electronics from an EMP attack. Have an onboard Faraday cage for a spare handheld ham radio, batteries, and GPS. Also carry and know how to use a sextant. I would aslo have a spare solar MPT controller and 4 LifePO4 spare batteries. All in a faraday cage. All to protect against a surprise EMP first strike. If you are out of EMP shockwave range of Europe and North America these precautions generally will not be required.

2. If in the Northern Hemisphere prepare to relocate bellow to the Southern Hemisphere immediately following a nuclear exchange in the North. Simple reason is Northern Hemisphere winds don't crossover with Southern winds. The bulk of nuclear radiation will circulate in the North. In the case of a full nuclear war there are bases in the southern hemisphere that would likely be attacked. I will refrain from naming them but they total less than 4 so even then atmospheric radiation in the Southern Hemisphere will be enormously less than in the North. This is why you have billionaires owning properties in Southern Argentina, Patagonia.

I'm a little concerned with the latest news over the past 48 hours. Putin has told his population to prepare for a nuclear war. Today his Defense Minister told all citizens to be within 40 minutes of a nuclear shelter. Yesterday Putin called on all Russians living overseas to return to Russia. This follows his earlier call for all Russians studying abroad to return to Russia immediately. All diplomats and staff are flying back to Russia.

Is preparing for a global nuclear war using your boat as your survival pod such a silly idea? We have never had a nuclear war and I pray that we never will.

Just as an aside. After 9/11 when I had offices on Wall Street and kived in NY. I bought a power boat and had it fully fueled at all times. It was my rapid escape vehicle. Anybody remember how all the bridges and tunnels were locked down following 9/11. Intel and DOD were worried about a durty bomb attack on NYC. Last thing I wanted was to be trapped with no way out.

But here I am. Didn't need the power boat but I had a lot of fun with her. Having a global travelling sail boat that is well equiped may never need to be used in a worst case scenario but it will privide a lot of fun.

Let's hope the current world tensions will subside and life goes on as normal
A faraday cage for an EMP is great idea. I have all my family photos stored on my iPhone and wouldn't want to lose them. However I don't see that having a handheld GPS safely in your faraday cage is going to be helpful at all of the EMP takes out all the orbiting satellites . . . . Just saying'.
Old 04-03-2017, 14:45   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Whether or not your boat serves a prepper function depends on the scenario you wish to prep for. In our case we lived in a center city area that would quickely become untenable if some civil disruption broke out. We kept the boat in the water all year round, with water and fuel. Ready to roll. We lived on it at least part time.

For short term disruption it gave us a place to hang out until the dust cleared.

I'm not sure it's possible to prep for every possible scenario. An all out nuclear war, for example, would be difficult to survive. We've lived near DC for years, and I suspect we wouldn't have survived the first strike. We're farther away now, but I suspect survival is going to be contingent upon being far enough away from the initial blast zones AND radiation zones.

Surviving a pandemic is probably more reasonable. But we're older now, and take a few prescription drugs each. While we're much better equipped to survive on our boat than we were when living in the city, I'm thinking that most of us Boomers probably won't last a whole lot past the original "dying time." When the electric grid collapses and our CPAP is no longer usable, when the food distribution system fails and we have to rely on what we can scrounge up and when the pharmacy no longer dispenses my thyroid meds and DH's anti-hypertensives and cholesterol meds our health will probably start to fail. And there aren't going to be any modern clinics, pharmacies and hospitals to ease our suffering. Unless, of course, the pandemic affects only one continent and we would be welcome on another. There weren't a whole lot of folks in their 60s, 70s and 80s before modern medicine.
Old 04-03-2017, 14:56   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Parks--

You might find William Forstchen's book "One Second After" presents a somewhat more plausible scenario for "survivalist" thinking/rationale. It deals with the effects of an "EMP" attack on the USA given the US's dependence on electronics for even what most would think the most elemental services/utilities, heat, light, water supplies, fuel etc. The possibilities are quite real and the "attack" might not come from deranged Mullahs. It could as easily come from a Solar eruption pointed in earth's direction. It seems that, in the US, the Pentagon has already been preparing for such an event but there has been little done to prepare/protect civilian infrastructure. With that, having one's boat "prep'd" has much to recommend it provided one is not dependent upon electronics as most/many seem to be these daze.

FWIW...
I read that book and had nightmares for weeks. For the first time, I was grateful to live near the airport . . . if the planes overhead were waking me up, the EMP hadn't happened.

One noted about that book was the idea that people who had prepped and had food enough for their families were supposed to share what they had with folks who had not prepped. It was regarded as anti-social to put your own family first and "hoard" what you had. The main characters were preparing to "raid" the farms and take the food the farmers had set aside for the future and share it out among the townspeople. Then there was the idea that they should take all the meat in town and have a big barbecue to use it up before it went bad. Had no one thought of canning meat for the future? Drying it maybe? Beef jerky anyone?

I worked in a hospital and the description of what happened in the town's nursing home was realistic, but frightening.

The book will definitely get you thinking about preparing for an EMP and about how you think society should be re-formed after the collapse of our current civilization.
Old 04-03-2017, 15:34   #210
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fwiw EMP's are not really much of a threat to anyone. Honestly I would be much more worried about a CME.
Earth's Greatest Threat: The Sun and Its CMEs | Ecology Global Network