Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 10:18   #226
RPZ

Re: Prepper Boat Thread

GoingWalkAbout,

Classic example of government and institutions saying "all is well" - when they have in fact not even looked. Or at least if they have, they are not saying.

Its interesting to note that our Navy warships, many of which have monitors and measuring equipment for radiation and operate in the Pacific, are not being used as a ready source of data. Or again, if they are no one is talking about it.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:59   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
GoingWalkAbout,

Classic example of government and institutions saying "all is well" - when they have in fact not even looked. Or at least if they have, they are not saying.

Its interesting to note that our Navy warships, many of which have monitors and measuring equipment for radiation and operate in the Pacific, are not being used as a ready source of data. Or again, if they are no one is talking about it.
You have focused on the elephant in the room. Real scientists are saying we need more research and data points. The propagandists are proclaiming.... there is nothing here to worry about. Eat all the west coast sourced sushi you want.

It hasn't been widely reported. Japan has passed a law making it illegal to publish Fukushima and environs radiation level figures. Such publication in Japan, 10 years in prison.

I guess Japan is more worried about its 2020 Olympics attendances then the planet.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:09   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Military has incredible assets, that are not used. To a large extent Businesses do NOT want them used, its tough to compete against a Tax funded asset.
For example, USCG used to often tow, before Boat US and Sea Tow, now if they did, I bet they would be sued by Boat US and Sea Tow.
Used to be US Army Medivac helicopters were used for civilian accidents, program was called MAST for Military Assistance to Safety and traffic I think, but your local Hospital little Lifeflight helicopter just cannot compete against a fully equipped Medivac Blackhawk, so the Army was made to stop MAST.
Aerial firefigting is another example, California burns, while hundreds of National Guard helicopters sit idle.

If US Navy weighed in to assist Science with their tens of Millions of dollars of State of the art equipment, how you gonna compete with your little research vessel?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:47   #229
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Military has incredible assets, that are not used. To a large extent Businesses do NOT want them used, its tough to compete against a Tax funded asset.
For example, USCG used to often tow, before Boat US and Sea Tow, now if they did, I bet they would be sued by Boat US and Sea Tow.
Used to be US Army Medivac helicopters were used for civilian accidents, program was called MAST for Military Assistance to Safety and traffic I think, but your local Hospital little Lifeflight helicopter just cannot compete against a fully equipped Medivac Blackhawk, so the Army was made to stop MAST.
Aerial firefigting is another example, California burns, while hundreds of National Guard helicopters sit idle.

If US Navy weighed in to assist Science with their tens of Millions of dollars of State of the art equipment, how you gonna compete with your little research vessel?
This is a really good expansion of my point, as it extends to other issues, including SAR.

Usually the first argument is "the costs". And it is not a valid argument. Military vessels and aircraft are already paid for, and already have to be fueled and maintained. Their crews are already paid, whether they are underway, or sitting at home off duty.

It applies to all operations of the military; personnel, aircrews, ships crews etc have regular operational training, exercises etc. The fuel, maintenance etc is already paid for. Simply switching it for real rather than imagined purposes does not affect the cost.

Taking SAR as an example, including small vessel recovery, what better way for aircrews and ships crews to keep their skills than the real thing? What better way to improve skills, improve techniques, pioneer better ways, equipment etc?
Old 15-03-2017, 16:58   #230

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:

A64, You are so on point! Non competition clause. Of course the other side of that is I would have had to do something else for 5 years. The situation does change completely in a natural disaster. Most civilian EMS operators can't even carry water for all of our Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, and Coast Guard folks! They do not possess the skill set or equipment and training that we pay handsomely for!

Obviously some policy changes need to be made!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 23:56   #231

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
GoingWalkAbout,

The post preceding yours had a nice graph, proving that in fact, they have looked...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 00:04   #232

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
You have focused on the elephant in the room. Real scientists are saying we need more research and data points. The propagandists are proclaiming.... there is nothing here to worry about. Eat all the west coast sourced sushi you want.
I would worry more about mercury than cesium. Your body is good at getting rid of cesium.

I'll repeat: Radioactivity is easy to measure. If the radioactivity released by Fukushima was significantly higher than what the official sources say, that would have been know. However, even Greenpeace accepts the official data.

Quote:
It hasn't been widely reported. Japan has passed a law making it illegal to publish Fukushima and environs radiation level figures. Such publication in Japan, 10 years in prison.
Can you quote a source of that? This smells of an urban legend. Especially given the fact that there are quite a few sources out there actually publishing radiation levels, and doing so without being harassed.

Quote:
I guess Japan is more worried about its 2020 Olympics attendances then the planet.
Well, Japan has some experience there, in how quick life can return to normal after a nuclear event. Within weeks after the bomb drop on Hiroshima the streetcars were running again...

Anyway. If radiation levels in Japan were above normal, someone would have noticed by now, wouldn't they?

Radioactivity is so easy to measure that radioactive tracers are often added to dangerous chemicals, so that spills can more easily be located...
Old 16-03-2017, 00:26   #233
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
The post preceding yours had a nice graph, proving that in fact, they have looked...
If you read the post, and understand what Dr. Buesseler is quoted as saying, no, in fact, they have not.
Old 16-03-2017, 03:33   #234

I do not consider myself a prepper but as a long term liveaboard cruiser I accept that there are many similarities.

My boat is set up to allow me the freedom to choose where I go and where I stay without resorting to the need to purchase any external items/services.

It's a sailboat so of course I can move without the need to use the engine, therefore low fuel requirement. In fact I haven't topped up the fuel tanks for over three years.

I use very little power, LED lighting, small GPS units for navigation- no chartplotters etc. There is a sextant and tables aboard-and I know how to use them! I have an SSB radio and minimum boat electronics. Whilst I use paper charts I do have the entire world charts in digital format. Sometimes you end up in places you weren't intending to!

The substantial battery bank is charged by a KISS wind generator. This has always provided sufficient power for my day to day needs. However as I age and get softer(!) I am adding a couple of flexible solar panels so that I can power a refrigerator.

There is a small PUR/Katadyn watermaker that can produce 6 litres an hour with power generated by the KISS. Water can also be collected from the decks. In 17 years this has always satisfied my water requirements. I have tankage for 900 litres.

In addition to the usual propane stove I also have a small wood burner that has a 'oven' unit that sits on top which enables me to heat the boat and cook a meal using foraged fuel. The great thing is that the dry heat keeps the interior of the boat in tiptop condition.

I can my own food and regularly carry sufficient to allow me to not need to purchase supplies for many months. Wonderful when you find that idyllic isloated anchorage and can just stay as long as you want...
I love to fish and have also been known to grow a supply of leaves and herbs onboard when conditions allow.

There is a hand operated sewing machine onboard and it has been used to repair sails, make new canvas and upholstery. I usually have a bolt of sunbrella in stock and all the threads etc that I would need.

Major spares are kept as a matter of course and there is a full compliment of tools. In ten years I have not employed anyone to repair/ fabricated anything onboard.

It's been a big learning experience and the willingness to acquire a new skill is of vital importance. Thank god for youtube!

There is tremendous pleasure in being so independant. Having said that I don't ignore the pleasures of the grid. I am currently plugged in to a marina
and enjoy the delights of unlimited internet access and an electric kettle. But what is important to me is having choices, and the opportunity to exercise them.

I believe the most important tool I have is that whilst I am not anti-social I am however socially independant.

The longest time, to date, that I have spent off grid totally is just under six months-it was simply wonderful.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 04:36   #235

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Annk I hate to break it to you but you're a prepper. Please don't confuse that with doomsday prepper.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 07:43   #236

Quote:
If you read the post, and understand what Dr. Buesseler is quoted as saying, no, in fact, they have not.
I see the results of measurements. That means measurements have taken place. That means that statements like "they haven't even looked" are false.

What is so hard with that?

More evidence that "they haven't looked" isn't even remotely true:

Home : CMER
Old 16-03-2017, 07:56   #237
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Annk I hate to break it to you but you're a prepper. Please don't confuse that with doomsday prepper.

What is a "prepper" then? I though it was some nut preparing for the Apocalypse?

Where I live and grew up Annk would most likely have been called a Hermit.
Much rarer now but there have always been people that have lived outside of the normal conventions, not in a neighborhood, no car and 9 to 5 job, no country club membership etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:16   #238

Click image for larger version

Name:	1489677232509.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	143267 big difference between doomsday prepper and a prepper.
Old 16-03-2017, 08:17   #239

Quote:
What is a "prepper" then? I though it was some nut preparing for the Apocalypse?

Where I live and grew up Annk would most likely have been called a Hermit.
Much rarer now but there have always been people that have lived outside of the normal conventions, not in a neighborhood, no car and 9 to 5 job, no country club membership etc.
There is actually a job opening for a hermit near where I curently live...
Old 16-03-2017, 08:25   #240

Here's the best definition I found for prepperClick image for larger version

Name:	1489677909756.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	143272