Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 13:07   #271

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Prepper Boat Thread

The Indy comes in many different calibers for the same price I'm not sure why you wouldn't get the 30 caliber for hunting. Except that for about 15 bucks 150 pellets at 30 caliber 300 at 25 caliber and 500 at 22
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 14:08   #272

This is a .357 air rifle that sells for $750 and pretty much could take out all game. Of course you should add a scope and if you don't have a scuba compressor you have to get the hand pump for about another hundred or two. The following video is a hunting video don't watch it if you don't like hunting. To me it shows that this airgun is humane even with a large animal and I've seen comparisons of this with a 25 on squirrels and it may seem like overkill to a lot of people but they were making clean kills at over a thousand yards.

https://youtu.be/45fFgJipjOo
Old 02-04-2017, 14:45   #273
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
This is a .357 air rifle that sells for $750 and pretty much could take out all game. Of course you should add a scope and if you don't have a scuba compressor you have to get the hand pump for about another hundred or two. The following video is a hunting video don't watch it if you don't like hunting. To me it shows that this airgun is humane even with a large animal and I've seen comparisons of this with a 25 on squirrels and it may seem like overkill to a lot of people but they were making clean kills at over a thousand yards.

https://youtu.be/45fFgJipjOo
Not poo pooing this at all - just a word of warning. Some countries like the U.K. class and define airguns over a certain power level as firearms. So anyone owning or acquiring such a piece should carefully check the laws of countries intended to visit before in order to plan port entry customs procedures.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 15:02   #274
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My Beeman in .177 cal was illegal in Germany because it was over the ft lbs of muzzle energy limit. I didn't know that until I was there, so it never came out of its case. It is easy to be illegal and not know it.
I think it quite safe to say anything capable of killing would likely fall into some kind of prohibited category.
However air guns of very high power have been around for centuries, Lewis and Clark carried Air rifles for instance.

But let's not let this turn into a gun thread, that will kill it quick.
If you do want to logically discuss "prepping" your boat, leave weapons out of the discussion, there are other forums for that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 15:10   #275

I understand I almost started my last post with I don't want to turn this into a gun thread, but I also think there's a big difference between weapons and hunting. I also think that food is probably the most important thing when it comes to prepping. Edit. next to water!
Old 02-04-2017, 15:14   #276
RPZ

Quote:
I understand I almost started my last post with I don't want to turn this into a gun thread, but I also think there's a big difference between weapons and hunting. I also think that food is probably the most important thing when it comes to prepping
This (food) is very true, and airguns are certainly much overlooked. The beauty of them is that are legal in many countries, and ammo is so cheap, as opposed to "guns" that are not legal in many countries, and ammo can be extortionately expensive(!).
Old 03-04-2017, 08:08   #277

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Somewhere back a while, a couple of years ago, there was a thread in stored energy devices such as air guns. Very informative. It seems some places of the world have outlawed almost anything you can think of.

From that thread I found out, and independently verified, that in NY state it is illegal to own a sling shot with a wrist restraint.

Anyway, from my reading on nuclear winter a full exchange will likely kill us all soon enough to make that discussion mute.

Like I said above my biggest worry is civil unrest making large western civilization untenable. If just to sit in the harbor while the city burns. Unless it gets really bad. Then our boat takes to our retreat far away where we are welcome and recognized. And there it gives us a way to contribute to that culture via transport and we earn our way.

Anyway, that's the plan.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:35   #278

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
...a full exchange will likely kill us all soon enough to make that discussion mute...
That's logical, as dead men tell no tales. (I can't help but segue into this trailer):

hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:19   #279

Great video on making pemmican. I haven't read the book but sounds pretty cool.
http://www.thelostways.com/vsl/index...oodforsurvival
Old 22-04-2017, 17:40   #280

I've never heard of something that clots blood before. This could definitely save your life if your away from medical attention and it's not that expensive.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JOCQSKQ..._zC.-ybHVZZ78D

There are also powders that you pour into the wound for even more life-threatening cuts. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG8V1W..._8K.-yb9RG0885

Shop around I don't know how good of a deal that is.
Old 22-04-2017, 18:14   #281
RPZ

Quote:
I've never heard of something that clots blood before. This could definitely save your life if your away from medical attention and it's not that expensive.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JOCQSKQ..._zC.-ybHVZZ78D

There are also powders that you pour into the wound for even more life-threatening cuts. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG8V1W..._8K.-yb9RG0885

Quick Clot.

Cayenne pepper works on minor stuff too.
Old 22-04-2017, 18:29   #282
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

The us military has been using quickclot for well over 25 years in various formulas.
How good of a deal it is depends on whether you will bleed out or not without it.
Old 22-04-2017, 23:09   #283
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The us military has been using quickclot for well over 25 years in various formulas.
How good of a deal it is depends on whether you will bleed out or not without it.
Like everything else, better to have and not need, than need and not have. Quick Clot should be in everyone's kit.
Old 23-04-2017, 05:46   #284
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Like everything else, better to have and not need, than need and not have. Quick Clot should be in everyone's kit.
They even make a version for dogs . I carry some with me when going afield even without my dogs.
Old 23-04-2017, 08:58   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
They even make a version for dogs . I carry some with me when going afield even without my dogs.
What is the difference?

I also heard that fish antibiotics are fit for human consumption.