Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2016, 12:14   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Why is it that Americans are so obsessed with this Zombie End of the World crap.. is it all the fried food and Taco's..
Either that or boredom, I don't know which.
Last end of the world was in 2012 when the Mayan calendar ended?
Big one before that was Y2K I think, the Y2 K thing had me real worried as my Korean tour was up in Jan., and while I didn't believe the world would end, I knew way my luck runs it would be enough to keep me in Korea for an extended time.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 14:18   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Were new blue water sailors. my boat MUST be in tip top shape by corination day, 2017. It is my observation that our country is slipping, and quickly. I don't like what I see coming in the near future.

I like the idea of having many exit options. My new HR33 is a major part of any potential exit strategy.

I don't worry about zombies, I worry about my jet set neighbors who live on credit cards, travel extensively on money they don't have. And their potential inability to feed their families in the case of a event.

I'm not interested in providing material comfort to,those who lack the vision to plan for the future. Options are always good.

Dirk

Ok then.. well I suggest planing for arctic conditions since we are all planing on heading to northern Alaska (on the left coast) or to northern Greenland on the right coast. We leave the day before coronation day right after the passport burning celebration.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 15:51   #18

I would suggest iodine in med kit. A few drops in your water to help with radiation.

Definately a ham radio which brings one to need a self sufficient renewable power plant onboard. i.e. solar panels with LifePo4 battery bank.

Thermal and night vision viewing systems. New HD digital radar. And of course a water maker with 3 to 5 years worth of filters.

Fishing nets, lures and spearfishing gear.

Personal protection gear such as hand to hand long blade knifes, rifles, handguns and plenty of amo. Kevlar vests would be worthwhile as well.

Situational awareness a must.

1. Prepare to move quickly from Europe and North America - follow news of heightened tension between known western adversaries such as Russia, Iran, N Korea and China. The need for rapid relocation priot to a first attack is to preserve your electronics from an EMP attack. Have an onboard Faraday cage for a spare handheld ham radio, batteries, and GPS. Also carry and know how to use a sextant. I would aslo have a spare solar MPT controller and 4 LifePO4 spare batteries. All in a faraday cage. All to protect against a surprise EMP first strike. If you are out of EMP shockwave range of Europe and North America these precautions generally will not be required.

2. If in the Northern Hemisphere prepare to relocate bellow to the Southern Hemisphere immediately following a nuclear exchange in the North. Simple reason is Northern Hemisphere winds don't crossover with Southern winds. The bulk of nuclear radiation will circulate in the North. In the case of a full nuclear war there are bases in the southern hemisphere that would likely be attacked. I will refrain from naming them but they total less than 4 so even then atmospheric radiation in the Southern Hemisphere will be enormously less than in the North. This is why you have billionaires owning properties in Southern Argentina, Patagonia.

I'm a little concerned with the latest news over the past 48 hours. Putin has told his population to prepare for a nuclear war. Today his Defense Minister told all citizens to be within 40 minutes of a nuclear shelter. Yesterday Putin called on all Russians living overseas to return to Russia. This follows his earlier call for all Russians studying abroad to return to Russia immediately. All diplomats and staff are flying back to Russia.

Is preparing for a global nuclear war using your boat as your survival pod such a silly idea? We have never had a nuclear war and I pray that we never will.

Just as an aside. After 9/11 when I had offices on Wall Street and kived in NY. I bought a power boat and had it fully fueled at all times. It was my rapid escape vehicle. Anybody remember how all the bridges and tunnels were locked down following 9/11. Intel and DOD were worried about a durty bomb attack on NYC. Last thing I wanted was to be trapped with no way out.

But here I am. Didn't need the power boat but I had a lot of fun with her. Having a global travelling sail boat that is well equiped may never need to be used in a worst case scenario but it will privide a lot of fun.

Let's hope the current world tensions will subside and life goes on as normal
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 15:59   #19

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Why is it that Americans are so obsessed with this Zombie End of the World crap.. is it all the fried food and Taco's..
It's the Gubmints stoopid...

And a financial collapse of the world markets which is iminent...

survival mode requires being self sufficient. Buy magazines!(not the printed ones)

Learn Morse Code, may come in handy.

Excellent tip on the iodine, also google "fish mox flex" for an antibiotics source, like cipro.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 16:30   #20

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

I don't have a crystal ball, and I'm not kresken. I just know that something isn't right. I'd rather be prepared then not.

64 driver, easy for you to say sporting an Apache! I'm serious jealous.

Someone noted the similarities between cruisers and preppers. From my prospective, I agree good call. We have a place on a small river above 6000. Option #1.

if your counting on Uncle Sam to bail you out in those circumstances, you might want to rethink your strategy.

I've noted a peculiar set of skills within the cruising community. Self reliance, and what I enjoy a lot is just how level headed everybody is.

I'm hoping to learn from you all.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 16:48   #21

So you mat think talking about preparing for the worst while hoping for the best is silly. It has just come out today that the United States President has raised the US Defence readiness to DEFCOM 3

Breaking News Today.

United States nuclear warning system has been upgraded to DEFCON level 3, meaning the US Air Force is ready to mobilise nuclear aircraft in just 15 minutes.
Old 14-10-2016, 17:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
So you mat think talking about preparing for the worst while hoping for the best is silly. It has just come out today that the United States President has raised the US Defence readiness to DEFCOM 3

Breaking News Today.

United States nuclear warning system has been upgraded to DEFCON level 3, meaning the US Air Force is ready to mobilise nuclear aircraft in just 15 minutes.
It is being reported today that US President has ordered the CIA to commence a Cyber attack on Russia.

Russia has announced today it will shoot down USA aircraft attacking Syrian Government positions in Syria.
Old 14-10-2016, 18:14   #23

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post

Breaking News Today.

That would be DEFCON 3...
good observation anyway, thanks!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 19:18   #24

A partial answer to the 'why the obsession with zombies' question is provided here
Zombie Preparedness|Are We Prepared?|PHPR
2old2bgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 20:25   #25

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Todays's DEFCON upgrade story is sensationalist fiction.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 20:55   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Whether or not your boat serves a prepper function depends on the scenario you wish to prep for. In our case we lived in a center city area that would quickely become untenable if some civil disruption broke out. We kept the boat in the water all year round, with water and fuel. Ready to roll. We lived on it at least part time.

For short term disruption it gave us a place to hang out until the dust cleared.

For long term disruption we also have a place in Northern Canada, on the water, where I have relatives. Also a dual citizen. So in a worse situation the boat can get me there, and maybe provide me with a way to make a living trading or transport.

Mostly I'm prepping for civil disruption, riots, martial law. I see our global financial institutions as being overly complex and very complicated and not well understood. I think trust in these systems could evaporate almost overnight, disrupting trade long enough to cause food riots and other critical shortages. That would create civil havoc.

But in the meantime we are now retired and living aboard. Still a good prep platform. So we prepped for disaster and retirement at the same time. Disaster may come but retirement is now here. Sounds like a win/win to me.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 21:07   #27

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Todays's DEFCON upgrade story is sensationalist fiction.
Yep, we know.

Probably the same dumbass website that stated this a few months back. Run by a convicted felon.

I worked on those bombers for a few years.

The nation's defense readiness level is not a mater of public record.
Old 14-10-2016, 21:56   #28

Well, my long range plans................
The problem is they are long range plans and I can't move them up. If I could be gone November 8th I would.
Its gonna be at least 3 years for me
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 03:21   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Prepping for EOTWAWKI (ww III, zombies, pandemic) is pointless. Events like that (if they were to ever happen) will wipe out 80% of the population and no amount of prepping for them will offset the fact that you'll be overwhelmed by the event.

Hpeer has the right mind set. Prep for short term civil disruption which also has you set up to live self sufficiently in retirement. win/win.
Old 15-10-2016, 08:22   #30

Boat: Beneteau First 42

When we lived in California, we viewed our boat as our refuge in the event of a major earthquake, which seemed the most plausible threat we faced at the time. Several of our friends in our marina did as well so we all kept our boats prepared for that possibility including full water tanks, always full fuel tanks, dried food stores (Mountain House from REI in Bezerkly), first and second aid stores and medications, lots-and-lots of batteries etc. etc. etc. Pretty much what we would store on the yacht for a long passage. We took a fair amount of ribbing for our "Dooms Day" preparations by folks that eventually proved sorry they hadn't done likewise.

As it occurred, we got outta Dodge before any of these preparations was ever needed. Some of our friends, however, were not so lucky and particularly those that lived in the Marina District in the City (San Francisco) when the "big one" hit there. Many of their homes were damaged or destroyed and several ended up living on their boats--one couple for nearly two years--until their homes were livable again. Food and water supplies were also in short supply, at least for awhile, so reserves on their boats paid their keep and first aid supplies also came in handy. (There were injuries but fortunately no deaths among those we knew.) For some, folding bicycles also came in handy when their cars were crushed under piles of rubble in the remains of their homes.

The foregoing also proved true for other friends of ours in Montecito (Santa Barbara) when the wild fires destroyed their homes/cars/etc. Several of whom decamped to Catalina.

Today, several people we know up north are currently living on their boats that survived Mathew while their houses did not. Sadly, several moved to North Carolina to escape the hurricane threat in Florida!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote