Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 21:11   #331

Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have sailed in everyone and except the puddle ( Atlantic)
Some lasting as much as 120 days underway continuous . I am not as you put it dependant on shore for basicly anything . Waterworld is a good movie and a joke at the same time

The need to dump human waste, charge batteries, and fill up with water at a marina IS dependence....

I wonder how long any of us could last without shore support of some kind? 120 days without any resupply from shore is impressive. I'd love to hear the story.

The Vendee globe for example involves a long period without support, but is entirely dependent on stowed supplies, and is far from living off the sea. If you have a big enough boat (enough displacement), you could live for a long time on stowed supplies... Actually living off the resources the sea has to offer is an entirely different challenge.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:29   #332
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
The need to dump human waste, charge batteries, and fill up with water at a marina IS dependence....

I wonder how long any of us could last without shore support of some kind? 120 days without any resupply from shore is impressive. I'd love to hear the story.

The Vendee globe for example involves a long period without support, but is entirely dependent on stowed supplies, and is far from living off the sea. If you have a big enough boat (enough displacement), you could live for a long time on stowed supplies... Actually living off the resources the sea has to offer is an entirely different challenge.
If I didn't go to my marina I can just dump the waste overboard ( at least 3 miles offshore) plug in power because it's available , same with filling my water tanks . Don't want to use my watermaker less than 3 to 5 miles offshore.
Old 22-02-2021, 07:54   #333

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
but realistically in the next 20-30 years various factors will lead to a progressive collapse of social order which will accelerate. T
So is this boat something you plan on building with a finish date of 2040 or a pipe dream that you would like to have in the event of a EOW event. When will you start building?

What would be the point of surviving for months or even years at sea on your own? what great event are you waiting for that will enable you to return to land?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 08:28   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So is this boat something you plan on building with a finish date of 2040 or a pipe dream that you would like to have in the event of a EOW event. When will you start building?

What would be the point of surviving for months or even years at sea on your own? what great event are you waiting for that will enable you to return to land?

Pete

Pete:
I have no plans to build an ark and sailing off. I was describing the characteristics I would want. A multihull for the better ride and to not having to "live on my ear", and the expansive deck and cockpit space. The relative flatness of the ride and the fact that you are not constantly rolling, or heeled over, means it is easier to be "productive" at sea. A pod or cabin means that you are able to see around you, rather than being down in a hole. The rig I described means low stresses, and minimal maintenance, minimal hardware to keep up, etc. It also means minimal draft, and the ability to beach the boat for bottom maintenance, and a boat that is inherently unsinkable so long as it's divided properly.... you aren't carrying tons of dead weight for ballast.

I also mentioned the desirability of sailing off in a group rather than as a single boat... a community so to speak. People do better as part of a community. Another advantage of a group is the possibility of scouting areas to possibly land for supplies or even to settle, and of course common defense and rescue. And of course, our different capabilities and diverse knowledge complement each other. One boat may have a serious "green thumb" aboard, another a seamster, another someone skilled in metal fabrication, another someone skilled in general repair, or in carpentry, of fiberglass work, another someone willing to do bottom cleaning in exchange for other things, another a doctor or dentist, a brewer, a midwife, a prostitute, a preacher, a bard or musician, Someone might be a superb fisherman, or pull a trawl, Another might be an electrician. Someone else might specialize in making fuel from microplastics pulled up in a trawl. Another might be skilled at predicting weather, or an exceptional navigator etc. The boats might be spread out over a few hundred square miles of ocean most of the time....but that is not far, at other times in close proximity for gatherings. The congregation would probably migrate away from cyclone seasons

Whatever event drives you and others to take to the sea to escape it may last a few months, or several years, but chaos and turmoil eventually burn themselves out.

I don't expect to live long enough that an EOW event would hit during my productive lifetime..... I'll be 95 in 2050 in the unlikely event I live that long, nor do I consider my timeline as being any more than a wild ass guess based on climate models. We are destroying the world we live in systematically and relentlessly. The evangelicals ( I was raised one) believe that they will all be lifted up to what amounts to the "mother ship" by the angel Gabriel while others fight amid the wreckage they've left behind. A fairy tale that makes them simply not care. The worst nightmare of course is reincarnation.... The ultimate justice ;-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:34   #335

Boat: Arm floaties (orange)

has anyone considered bringing a small propane forge like hobbyist use for knife making/jewelry making?

I have been considering buying a kit or fire bricks just in case there was ever an instance where I needed to make something.

PS:
Everyone who talked politics on this thread, please take it to reddit/facebook or wherever else you want, just keep it out of topics it doesn't need to be in. Maybe start a new thread like "What Politics will lead to the end of the world" or "I have trash opinions that I want to force others to see because I am sad turd nugget wrapped in fail sauce"
Cannasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:52   #336
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannasail View Post
has anyone considered bringing a small propane forge like hobbyist use for knife making/jewelry making?

I have been considering buying a kit or fire bricks just in case there was ever an instance where I needed to make something.

PS:
Everyone who talked politics on this thread, please take it to reddit/facebook or wherever else you want, just keep it out of topics it doesn't need to be in. Maybe start a new thread like "What Politics will lead to the end of the world" or "I have trash opinions that I want to force others to see because I am sad turd nugget wrapped in fail sauce"
What are you going to use for the heating trust me a gas unit uses lots of propane and you don't want a coal fire on your boat . Get to a beach and you can use a wood fire .

I run gas and coal forges
Old 24-02-2021, 12:57   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
What are you going to use for the heating trust me a gas unit uses lots of propane and you don't want a coal fire on your boat . Get to a beach and you can use a wood fire .

I run gas and coal forges

Thank you for replying and my plan was to use propane, but I didn't realize it would consume so much.

If you don't mind me asking, if i wanted the ability to make small items would I be better off just buying some firebricks, collecting wood and making a mini forge where ever I can? Or am I being ridiculous and this wouldn't work at all?
Old 24-02-2021, 13:10   #338
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

My trash opinion, that I want to force others to see, because I am sad turd nugget, wrapped in fail sauce, is that you're being ridiculous, and this wouldn't work at all.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 13:13   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
My trash opinion, that I want to force others to see, because I am sad turd nugget, wrapped in fail sauce, is that you're being ridiculous, and this wouldn't work at all.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 24-02-2021, 13:33   #340
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

newhaul: Aside from your forge & blower, how much do your anvil, vise, and hammer (& any other essential tools) weigh?
What kind of parts might you, a skilled smith, forge with a beach fire?
What might I, a complete neophyte, hope to make?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 13:50   #341

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, if i wanted the ability to make small items would I be better off just buying some firebricks, collecting wood and making a mini forge where ever I can? Or am I being ridiculous and this wouldn't work at all?
I would make coke first which is a 3 day process and then use the coke to get the heat necessary to heat steel. Your choice of steel might be limited but a nice piece of old leaf spring will probably do.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 13:53   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I would make coke first which is a 3 day process and then use the coke to get the heat necessary to heat steel. Your choice of steel might be limited but a nice piece of old leaf spring will probably do.

Pete

Thank you sir. I appreciate you.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:40   #343

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
newhaul: Aside from your forge & blower, how much do your anvil, vise, and hammer (& any other essential tools) weigh?
Gord,

Do you remember that guy who was doing the videos about building an 80 someting foot steel boat who wanted a forge onboard?

Sun Seeker or some such?

Lots of videos, he cast his own props, etc.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 18:46   #344
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for replying and my plan was to use propane, but I didn't realize it would consume so much.

It would work ok for simple mild steel projects just 4 or 6 fire bricks or a couple of decient logs to contain the trench you are building your wood fire in . A 2 pound short sledge or ballpien hammer and a chunk small chunk of thick steel to work as an anvil pair of pliers would be a good idea as are leather gloves.
Lots of youtube vudeos just look for simple forge knife making.
Old 24-02-2021, 18:55   #345
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well here goes I can make a simple wood fired forge just about anywhere.
My portable anvil I made weighs about 25 pounds now figure about 5 pounds for hammers most of which you have in your onboard tool kit anyway.
I could actually forge just about all of the same stuff I can in my home gas or coal forges.
The hardest part is the metal to start with . It's not a fast process to make steel from ore.
Not difficult just time consuming. ( mostly in forge refining the bloom steel to usable. )
It's made from light rail iron. And about 15 inches long and 4 inches tall

With a little patience you could easily learn to make a knife or other simple tools and in time well many other items
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200125_130515.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	233284