Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 04:53   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Then according to Jewish law you are a fully fledged Jew of birth. Jewishness is passed down pMaternally. Your fathers background has no impact...
Slip of the finger?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Prepper Boat Thread

Deleted
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 21:54   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Slip of the finger?
Thanks.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:53   #109
RPZ

Major issues I can see surviving long-term on a boat are water and food. And don't count on being able to just pull in somewhere, drop anchor and obtain either, and just leave.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:25   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Agreed on food and water.

The Prepper Boat does one of two things....

It gets you out of a hot situation for a while until it cools down. Think significant urban riots.

Or it gets you to someplace safe. Your retreat at a distant island.

Since we have retired, and no longer live in a city center the riot scenario isn't as big a deal. Unless the kids are stuck but being able to get there in time is dicey.

And we have the distant retreat worked out.

But in any case, any thing bad enough to require a prepper boat is gonna shake stuff up everywhere. Everyone will be hurting. Any little bit of advantage will help.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:37   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Major issues I can see surviving long-term on a boat are water and food. And don't count on being able to just pull in somewhere, drop anchor and obtain either, and just leave.
Water maker and various bits of fishing gear. Also learn what seaweeds are inedible ( much easier since most are edible)
Old 12-01-2017, 05:47   #112

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Then according to Jewish law you are a fully fledged Jew of birth. Jewishness is passed down Maternally (corrected). Your fathers background has no impact....
The foregoing is true, of course, because while paternity may be questionable, maternity is never in doubt!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:06   #113
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Water maker and various bits of fishing gear. Also learn what seaweeds are inedible ( much easier since most are edible)
These will help, but a water maker may break, may not last long enough. Fishing is hit and miss sometimes but will probably keep you from starving. And supplement s would be necessary like vit c, magnesium perhaps, etc.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:10   #114
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Agreed on food and water.

The Prepper Boat does one of two things....

It gets you out of a hot situation for a while until it cools down. Think significant urban riots.

Or it gets you to someplace safe. Your retreat at a distant island.

Since we have retired, and no longer live in a city center the riot scenario isn't as big a deal. Unless the kids are stuck but being able to get there in time is dicey.

And we have the distant retreat worked out.

But in any case, any thing bad enough to require a prepper boat is gonna shake stuff up everywhere. Everyone will be hurting. Any little bit of advantage will help.
Agreed. Only potential trouble I see with distant islands is that there are not really that many of them and everyone with an ocean capable boat will be heading for them as well.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:18   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
These will help, but a water maker may break, may not last long enough. Fishing is hit and miss sometimes but will probably keep you from starving. And supplement s would be necessary like vit c, magnesium perhaps, etc.
Diy solar still backups
Seaweeds have what land plants have
Sea Vegetation - Seaweed provides all 56 minerals and trace elements in quantities greatly exceeding those of land plants. Easy to use in any recipe.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:33   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Agreed. Only potential trouble I see with distant islands is that there are not really that many of them and everyone with an ocean capable boat will be heading for them as well.
True, but what pecentage of the population has an ocean capable yacht and an ocean capable captain? But it pays to establish connection in advance so you are welcome.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:39   #117
RPZ

All agreed. And good to remember when you are places where it can be found. However you're not going to find seaweed in the open seas. You could find and dry as much as you can to take along, but then you can do the same with a lot of foods.

My main point is that once you leave inshore waters should it simply become unsafe and head out into the wild blue yonder you are on your own with what you have onboard. And what you can supplement it with way out there.

Good book to read is Adrift, by Steven Callahan. He spent 76 days in a raft.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:46   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
All agreed. And good to remember when you are places where it can be found. However you're not going to find seaweed in the open seas. You could find and dry as much as you can to take along, but then you can do the same with a lot of foods.

My main point is that once you leave inshore waters should it simply become unsafe and head out into the wild blue yonder you are on your own with what you have onboard. And what you can supplement it with way out there.

Good book to read is Adrift, by Steven Callahan. He spent 76 days in a raft.
Trust me there is seaweed everywhere and fish can be caught just about anywhere.
Old 12-01-2017, 13:08   #119
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
True, but what pecentage of the population has an ocean capable yacht and an ocean capable captain? But it pays to establish connection in advance so you are welcome.
Well, I use the term loosely. In a crisis many people might see their boat as such regardless. Even if a small fraction of them get there, wherever "there" happens to be, things are going to be crowded even with those that are truly capable. And in the face of too many people arriving at places with limited resources, locals, particularly island authorities, are not necessarily going to be welcoming many visitors at some point.
Old 12-01-2017, 13:22   #120
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Trust me there is seaweed everywhere and fish can be caught just about anywhere.
I trust my own eyes. I have crossed the Atlantic, and the Irish sea a number of times. There are a lot of places where there is not anything floating around. How many fish were beneath the surface is another question.

In a situation bad enough to warrant taking to a boat into the open seas, all communications will be prioritized. Your weather fax may not be available as might not be navigational resources. Or your equipment might break down. Navigating and keeping your boat afloat might take over nearly all your time, at times; so I would not want to be relying on what I can catch in a net or on a hook. Especially if I had a family on board.

Go without food for a day or two, or be grossly deficient for longer, and fatigue, exhaustion exacerbated by exposure and cold will put you at the beginning of what could be a rapid downhill spiral. Add unforeseen injury, sickness and now you are in a real crisis.

Nope, I would have a good store of food onboard. What I could catch or net would be a bonus and make what I had go that much further.