Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2021, 11:11   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
prescription Medicine in Bahamas/Caribbean/cruising

My Wife and I are a couple of years away from casting off as full time cruisers. I am currently trying to figure out how to get medicines like Humira that need to be refrigerated in remote locations? Also, we are selling our residence so I am not sure what you do for your residential address?
Looking for any insights especially for people on Humira and similar medications.
Thanks
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:39   #2

Boat: Beneteau 373
Re: prescription Medicine in Bahamas/Caribbean/cruising

When I sold my house and moved aboard I got a mailbox at a UPS store. This gives me a street address. They will also forward mail once I go down island. (don't know the cost of that yet) but I have been working on making everything possible paperless.
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 12:04   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

St Brendan’s Isle will handle your mail if you are in America.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 12:56   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I hear you can use the marina address for driver license and such. But you need to stay in one place to do that.
Old 29-03-2021, 07:27   #5

I'm intending to be able to move around the Caribbean and Mexico. Looking for the best way to keep my medications coming in
Old 29-03-2021, 07:42   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqun View Post
I'm intending to be able to move around the Caribbean and Mexico. Looking for the best way to keep my medications coming in

Arrange with your doctor to get 3-6 months supply (or more) at a time. Have a friend or relative visit and bring your meds, or fly yourself to pick up.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 07:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Arrange with your doctor to get 3-6 months supply (or more) at a time. Have a friend or relative visit and bring your meds, or fly yourself to pick up.
This is the correct answer with the caveat that visiting foreign countries with someone else's prescriptions could cause you a great deal of legal trouble. Easier to fly home every 6-12 months yourself or possibly visit a doctor in the country you are visiting if they have access to the same types of prescription medicines.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 21:17   #8

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

I don't think many people appreciate the problem. Humira is not a “regular “ prescription medication in a little plastic bottle from CVS.

Getting a prescription for a 3-6 month supply isn’t the problem. I don't know Humira specifically but all the “mab” drugs are VERY expensive and I doubt any insurance company is going allow multi-month supplies. Injectables come from specialty pharmacies, are shipped once a month in insulated boxes with cold packs and have to be transferred to a refrigerator with 24 hours or so of being shipped, which doesn’t work very well over long distances and across borders. Either that or formulated and infused .

I need one of the “mab” drugs which can either be injected weekly or infused monthly. My wife and I are planning to take a year off and the winter plan (as yet unproven) is to establish residence in Florida and to be within reach of an airport once a month so that I can catch a puddle jumper to Miami. This is not a great plan and I am nervous about the possibilities of getting stuck somewhere so, if you come up with a better idea, please post it here – I would welcome an alternative.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 08:11   #9

Geoff 54
Yes this is the problem. Are you going to get an actual residence in Miami?
I am going to discuss my options with my doctor next week but I think the issue is probably really going to be with my insurance company. I am nervous about tipping my hand and putting up red flags in case I need to do a work around.
I will let you know how I make out. Please feel free to let me know how your idea works out. someone out there must be doing this.
thanks
Old 31-03-2021, 08:46   #10

Boat: Hylas 54

There is a lot of small plane traffic between Florida and the Bahamas. Try talking to some aircraft charter companies about flying in meds. Maybe befriend a pilot? Possibly there is a doctor or pharmacy in Nassau that you can make a deal with to stock what you need.

For residency in Florida, many cruisers including myself use St. Brendan's Isle https://www.sbimailservice.com/
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 21:43   #11

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqun View Post
Geoff 54
Yes this is the problem. Are you going to get an actual residence in Miami?
I am going to discuss my options with my doctor next week but I think the issue is probably really going to be with my insurance company. I am nervous about tipping my hand and putting up red flags in case I need to do a work around.
I will let you know how I make out. Please feel free to let me know how your idea works out. someone out there must be doing this.
thanks
Sorry for the slow reply.
Yes, the plan is to rent the cheapest small apartment that we can find that is in a safe area, as convenient as possible for the airport and a major hospital. That way I can be a legitimate Florida resident and I will have somewhere to to stay for the couple of nights that I will be there each month. I'm thinking that, for me, I should go with a infusion once a month so that I can avoid the hassle of transporting syringes and keeping them refrigerated. I've done both infusions and injections and there are advantages and disadvantages to each. 'Don't know of that is an option for you.

The only alternative that I can think of, is to keep my current medical arrangements and fly back and forth to New England. This would make it easier to arrange but cost more, both in time and money. We wouldn't be able to rent out our current home which would have probably paid for a small apartment and the necessary flights.

I just don't think that getting stuff delivered outside of the US would work. It would only take one official somewhere to hold up your shipment for two or three days and a months worth of meds would be ruined. And please don't risk using anything unless you are certain that it has been stored properly. Different med but doing that caused me to be admitted because it shut my kidneys down. I was lucky and made a full recovery but just not worth the risk.

I wish I had a better way but....
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, cruising, rib