Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03   #1

Project Plan or To Do List for Cruising

has anyone compiled a comprehensive project plan or to do list for someone planning to go cruising for a multiyear trip? I be interested in getting a list of all the tasks that need to be done in preparation for a long cruising trip. We don't have a boat yet and only started planning. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
mctdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: Project plan or to do list for cruising

Welcome to the forum mctdog. I'm getting in early one this one because I see it being the first big thread for 2012. Why? Because it is so hard to pin down an answer to what is needed/necessary on a multi-year cruise.
There are several books devoted to readying your boat for offshore cruising, the Pardy's book comes to mind, and there are several sites around the net that give good advice for updates/ upgrades for offshore cruising and long distance cruising. attainable adventures comes to mind in regard to that.
But it's a grey area as to what tasks need to be done, for each boat is unique in it's current readiness for cruising, and there are many different ideas as to what a boat needs to do that.
For example no one here will tell you that you're crazy to go offshore without radar... wait, some will actually, but the point is, you are not crazy if you go offshore without radar. You have simply decided it is beyond your budget, or is within your personal acceptable risk to go without it. Some folks have cruised the world without engines, batteries, GPS, etc.. You see what I am getting at?
So what is on one person's list of things which must be done to cruise multiyear, and another equally capable person's list will be markedly different, and based on their own ideas/ experience.
I'm looking forward to some of the ideas that blossom forth here.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Starting at the very beginning...

The first decisions in planning an extended cruise are about the time frame, budget, cruising area and experience/training.

Seven years ago I started with a 3 year plan. I worked out my budget and decided on east coast Australia/South East Asia as my cruising area.

Looking at boats was a real eye opener. Good seaworthy boats were several multiples of my budget and it slowly became clear that to get a suitable boat in Australia was going to involve a "project".

I took my wife on a few charters/other peoples boats. No worries, all green lights...

So about five years ago (my, how time flies) I brought Boracay. If you want to see what was involved have a look at my blog.

As Boracay was in the water we were able to use the boat more or less to get some experience. It was then, as it became clear that this was a commitment to our joint futures, that our lack of experience and training became clear. The value of an in the water project boat was that we were able to resolve many issues and gain much needed experience.

So now the boat is still not finished, maybe it never will be, but we are planning to head north at the end of the current cyclone season.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:09   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Project Plan or To Do List for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctdog View Post
has anyone compiled a comprehensive project plan or to do list for someone planning to go cruising for a multiyear trip? ....
If they did, they probably threw it away half completed before they set off. It can be a bit overwhelming when you browse sites like this one and read about all the essential items you must have. Beth Leorard's The Cruisers Handbook probably has the best discussion of the key issues. Striaghten out your land personal life and finances, buy a boat, sail it for awhile, add what is needed.

Tags
cruising