Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 05:59   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"
Propane Connections In Europe

Couldn't figure out where to post this question. I hope here is ok.

Has anyone changed USA propane connections over to European style camping gaz? We need to know what is involved and how to do it, if we can. Yes, it is rather at the last minute before our Atlantic crossing. We have had no problem getting USA gas filled in all the world and then we came to the complicated Europe where they work to make life challenging by having more rules than people!

I need a gas person or some other experienced gas cruiser to help us. Nobody speaks English here in Morocco and we could sail into the USA in dec eating canned beans and raw eggs!

We did buy an elaborate kit of attachments for world gas connections which has just been decorative so far! We have usually found someone to fill our tanks on the sly since there are these pesky legalities in different countries.

I think we are most scared to death of the gas bottles!!
Old 26-08-2012, 06:54   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Propane connections in europe

if you have a fly rubber hose to the bottle, either high pressure, ( on bottle regulator ) of low pressure, then you can buy the correct Camping Gaz fittings easily in Europe. The stover will generate slightly less heat on butane, but other then that the system will be fine, Sometimes there is a difference in regulator pressures, between butane and propane ( though not since harmonization in Europe), but again it doesn't really make a difference.

The difference in Europe is that the refilling of domestic/leisure gas bottles is now illegal, but like everything it still goes on.

Dave
Old 27-08-2012, 06:48   #3

I have been able to get my American tanks filled at a few locations in the med...the gas plant in Cueta some how managed to fill my tank, but they did not think they were successful! I had my tanks filled at a Zadar Croatia gas plant with no problem. Now I am near Rome at a marina near the airport and will begin my search for a plant. Any suggestions out there. I may end up buying a 100 euro tank and using the European regulator if I can make the hose fittings work. I also have a European adaptor for my American tank, but you have to find a plant to get it filled...

S/v Koinonia II
gilbdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:18   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Propane Connections In Europe

Coming back to the UK with US GRP bottles I bought a set of these adaptors .. GasBOAT 4018 Marine Universal Gas Cylinder Adaptor Kit at SOCAL

Not cheap but will have paid for themselves already by not having to buy the expensive camping gaz. Rent a bottle of butane for the day and transfer into the grp bottles, easy not to overfill as you can see the gas level. Takes a while when it's cold but easy to do, hang the full bottle upside down above the empty one and let the gas dribble through. Haven't tried it round Europe yet but hopefully will be easy borrowing a local bottle for a day or so to fill up.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:03   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"
We bought the expensive adapter kit and may have to use it here in Morocco to decant some. Some guy is supposed to show us but it should be a laugh with us not speaking anything they speak here.

Thanks for the help. We are hoping the cape verdes won't be a problem but we will see. We wintered in Sicily and the local company could usually fill our tanks. They usually don't like anything that takes a bit more effort but some of them made it work.

Tags
propane, europe