Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 11:06   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
The plastic tanks should be no issue - according to the same rule of the tank having a clear certificate label. They are not an American invent either as we had used them ever since the 90ies in Sweden.

The steel tanks are not 'cheap' everywhere. Here, in Spain (Canary Islands), the 6 Liter tank cost is around 30 Euro (45 USD). Cheap? Well, not really as they have 4 different LPG gas companies and re-sale on leaving varies depending on whether your original provider serves this specific area. NB 30 Euro = 35 Liters of gas (propane and butane available).

My bad experience with NZ was 2004/5 when Opua and Auckland refused to fill my Swedish tanks certified autumn 2003. Whangarei did not have this issue, but I do not think it a good deal to go 10 miles up a tidal river just to fill my LPG tanks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 12:21   #17

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'
never had any problem getting gas in the caribbean. ha!
seriuosly though, filling your tanks is usually easy once you locate the vender. in the french islands, like martinique, if you have the french style tanks, luckily my french boat came with two, you can simply swap. of course most venders in other islands do not have the nozzle to fill french tanks, so best to have a stateside type bottle as well. in trinidad we had to leave our bottle at the entry gate of a marina, like powerboats or crews inn, and it returned full that pm. in luperon the vender was just out of town, so you rented a motorbike to take it. oh well.
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 06:16   #18

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
In the US and British Virgin Islands getting a tank filled can be a problem and only in the USVI can you exchange but some will not allow an exchange if they know you are from a boat.

In the BVI some refill companies will only do aluminum tanks some will only do steel tanks but NOT if they were on a boat. Some will only refill with a certain fitting and all have the policy if the tank "looks" questionable to not refill. I've not found any BVI company that will refill the new fiberglass tanks... but I understand somewhere does it... probably a transfer refill from a mid size home tank.

Wish my tanks were a bit larger but the tank locker is fixed and can't change it.

I find the best locations for refills and always check my status before I head out for a few weeks away from easy sources.