Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 13:21   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Propane Tank Recertification

My propane tank certification expired so the gas place wouldn't fill it. A new tank was $200, but it turns out that you can get the tank tested and recertified and that was a total of $30.

Just a FYI!
Old 10-09-2014, 15:09   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: propane tank recertification

The price must vary widely. I just paid $10. I didn't tell them it was for a sailboat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My propane tank certification expired so the gas place wouldn't fill it. A new tank was $200, but it turns out that you can get the tank tested and recertified and that was a total of $30.

Just a FYI!
What size of tank was that?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:11   #4
CLOD

did you get it filled at the same time?
Old 10-09-2014, 15:15   #5

If I have a 5 gal tank that needs recert, I just take it down to the grocery store and trade it in for a brand new Blue Rhino tank. They exchange tanks instead of refilling them, so I get 5 gal of propane in a new tank for about $18.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
What size of tank was that?
It was an 11lb and yes it was refilled at the same time.
Old 10-09-2014, 15:54   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

I have 6 (or 7?) lb. aluminum bottles - about $50.00 for re certification and gas fill here in CT. You can't exchange aluminum bottles from Rhino. But - one less thing to worry about in the gas line system.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-09-2014, 16:08   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

In Oz at least, tanks have a coating grade of 1 to 4 with 1 being the "best". I'm guessing a lot of people aren't aware of this aside from rating 1 tanks which are obvious because they are hot dipped galvanised. I just had my boat's BBQ "1" rated tank recertified because it is gal, is in good condition, is expensive to replace and it lives on the outside of the stern rail. The 2 "swap and go" tanks on my home BBQ are rated "2" (which is BIG step down in corrosion protection from rating "1") but I'm not confident that would be the case in all swaps as this rating isn't considered when accepting tanks for exchange.

Here's a link to Aussie tank grading. It's in the context of caravanning, but the same applies to boats.
Gas Bottle Standards
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:15   #9

Boat: Rinker 24

For what it is worth, if you have propane heat at your house the company you buy your gas from might recertify your tanks for free, at least mine does. As mentioned, if you have 20 pound tanks it is often easiest to just exchange it for a Blue Rhino or whatever, and if you do that politely ask if you can pick the tank out of the rack so you can pick a newer one. I made that mistake once as I was empty and had guests that afternoon so I exchanged my precious shiny new tank for an exchange at the hardware store that looked like it had been painted with a brush.

Lastly, be aware that most all of the exchange places that I know of no longer fill with 20 lbs of propane, Blue Rhino only puts 15 pounds in their tanks now. Maybe not an issue but 25% more might keep someone from running out on a cruise sometime. Additionally, my local guy charges a couple dollars less for 20 pounds than Blue Rhino does for an exchange.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:27   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

When my tanks are empty and less than pristine looking, I exchange them for refilled ones. They do give you less than 20lb of propane but they aren't charging for 20lb so it's not fraud.

I have had tanks filled before but I don't remember the cost.
Old 10-09-2014, 16:53   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
propane tank recertification

I believe there are at least two different levels of certification, and these carry two different "due" dates, One I believe is just visual, while the other I think may be a hydrostatic test like a Scuba bottle goes through.
I have an 11 lb aluminum bottle with an original manufacture date of 1987 my local gas company will fill it based on a visual, but most won't. I need to send it off, but am still looking as to where. I haven't asked my hydro shop that does my Scuba bottles yet. I did buy a second bottle from Defender for about $200 as my locker can hold two.

Unfortunately these are not the steel barbecue bottles
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are I guess three methods
http://phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cache/pv..._cylinders.pdf
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 17:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
When my tanks are empty and less than pristine looking, I exchange them for refilled ones. They do give you less than 20lb of propane but they aren't charging for 20lb so it's not fraud.

I have had tanks filled before but I don't remember the cost.

You need to get out more. It's not only the cost of a refill. Sometimes you leave your tank with some guy and it comes back next week. Or you spend the whole day on a bus or in a taxi. My favorite is getting to the gas plant in the back of of a pick-up truck. There are usually 6 of you in the back, what a bomb.
Old 10-09-2014, 17:35   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You need to get out more. It's not only the cost of a refill. Sometimes you leave your tank with some guy and it comes back next week. Or you spend the whole day on a bus or in a taxi. My favorite is getting to the gas plant in the back of of a pick-up truck. There are usually 6 of you in the back, what a bomb.
?????
Old 10-09-2014, 17:45   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have an 11 lb aluminum bottle with an original manufacture date of 1987............. I need to send it off, but am still looking as to where.
This is the type of tank I have that I just had recertified. I took mine to Suburban Propane distribution center.

One of the industrial gas places referred me to a U-Haul Center. You need to check around.

Tags
certification, propane