Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 12:39   #151

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Propane vs Alcohol Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The best thing I recall about alcohol was the smell of bacon and eggs while I was still in the bunk circa 47. The stove had a unique odor.
Yep, that was the pressurized version. The 2G version isn't even similar for more than an instant. On my last boat, I had the single burner. Bought and sold on Craig'sList. $100 each way. Also paid $100 for my two-burner. I only use a second burner on Taco Tuesday. Some may want to try one before deciding.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 14:44   #152

Re: Propane vs Alcohol Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I usually get distracted by the next shiny thing, then see that the water is boiling.

This works well for me: Attachment 154210

Thanks for the picture! I should probably get one for my lead-acid top offs as well.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 15:46   #153

Boat: Rafiki 37

Anyone have an Origo oven? How does it work? I had a pressure alcohol Kenyon stove/oven for years. Stove worked great, but I would burn a month's worth of alcohol to bake bread in the oven.

I assume the new Origos are better?
Old 16-08-2017, 19:38   #154

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Anyone have an Origo oven? ...
My wife bakes bread (and cakes, biscuits, you name it) every few days in the Origo 6000 (the oven version of the Origo 3000). I can get by on less than one litre of fuel a week for my cooking efforts but using the oven takes more, she estimates using on average 3 litres p.w. No complaints at all about baking with the Origo, though temp control is by checking the thermometer every five/ten minutes then adjusting up or down. Better with a heavy baking tray to spread the heat, and it seems pre-heating is a must if you don't want to burn the bread.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 03:41   #155

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
My wife bakes bread (and cakes, biscuits, you name it) every few days in the Origo 6000 (the oven version of the Origo 3000). I can get by on less than one litre of fuel a week for my cooking efforts but using the oven takes more, she estimates using on average 3 litres p.w. No complaints at all about baking with the Origo, though temp control is by checking the thermometer every five/ten minutes then adjusting up or down. Better with a heavy baking tray to spread the heat, and it seems pre-heating is a must if you don't want to burn the bread.

Thanks Nevis. That usage seems in line with what I recal from my old pressure stove. Used to take about a gallon every three to four weeks. And we cook all the time when out. The only disappointment for me (the bread maker) was the oven. But I bet that had more to do with the oven design itself than the fuel source.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:19   #156

Boat: 1984 Mirage 27 (Perry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Those are the Taylor wicks, not the Tilley wicks. The Taylor wicks fit into a cup around the base of the burner and absorb the alcohol that is poured into the cup (such that it can't splash out). The problem is with the pouring. A Tilley wick (e.g. TILLEY HEATER TORCH, PART No 151) is wetted in a bottle away from the burner and clamped on as needed. IIRC they were less than a £ apiece 20 years ago - today on eBay they are asking $25-$35 delivered. Ouch.

I am going to check my spares - I may have another pair. Not paying that price...

Greg
Without knowing the exact size from the photos, could you not make your own with some stainless wire, a brass/copper pipe/tubing end cap (of similar size), and some ceramic or glass wool used for wood stove door seals? You would just have to drill 4 holes on the lip of the cap and pass the wire to make handle/clip. Should be able to make your own for a lot cheaper then they want for them.
Thuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 07:38   #157

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I spent a year in the islands on my old boat with an Origo. No complaints at all! Boiled water for coffee every morning and though it may have taken a minute or two longer than propane I never really noticed it. Cooked and baked everything we needed. Alcohol is freely available at any hardware store with a paint department or you can pay twice as much (or even triple) at the chandler.

New boat has a standard propane setup. No complaints about that either. I think the only fuel that would be a deal breaker for me is CNG which is only easily available in the USA.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:47   #158

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"
Thumbs up Re: Propane vs Alcohol Stove

I had to ask if anyone would have or can tell me how the plastimo Atlantic oven operates. Our Bombay came with a two burner alcohol stove that sat on the counter. I have had the Atlantic stored for years and decided to install it so we would have a oven. I prefer propane to alcohol 1. hotter 2.fule lasts longer 3.less mess and only need to fill tank 2-3 times a year. 4. A warm boat in cold weather with the smell of baked goods!
But what work well for one may not as well for another...Safety is the most important thing when cooking!
Our Hille is still going strong on the Force 50 after 32-33 years...
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, stove