Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25   #31

Re: Provisioning for a Long Distance Voyage

Smithfield Hams are pretty good...does anyone stash away MREs?

Military MREs Meals Ready to Eat seem to last forever. They are much better than the olde C Rations, canned stuff. You can get them at most surplus stores I guess and there is a higher quality (mayne) in nicer packages at sports stores that cater to backpackers...
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33   #32

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
I bought freeze dried vegetables and fruits from overstock.com. They were in the camping/survival section. Very good quality, no extra salt or sugar. Take up very little space.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 01:34   #33

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
I bought freeze dried vegetables and fruits from overstock.com. They were in the camping/survival section. Very good quality, no extra salt or sugar. Take up very little space.
Freeze dried veggies can be very good, especially the green peas. The Surprise brand by Continental are especially tasty. Just watch the expiration dates closely. Freeze dried items do expire and the older they get the worse the results when cooked. I recently threw out a couple dozen packages which had been purchased in Australia in Sept 2009 because the quality had deteriorated past acceptability.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 02:43   #34

Boat: Able 50

One more vote for fresh local produce. There are so many strange foods to be discovered so here are just two that I had never even heard of before going sailing.

Manioc - it looks awful but tastes just like potato only more chewy. The roots will last for a month.

Click image for larger version

Name:	manioc-root.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	38651

Flat coriander - this stuff has lots of different names and tastes just like coriander. It will keep for 10 days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mexican-coriander.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	38652
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 05:01   #35

No one has mentioned the sailors staple....SPAM, the most versatile meat product ever made.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 05:14   #36

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
With regard to canned meats........if you don't like or can't find a brand you like there is another option. Home canning is easy and you have total control of the quality and additives. It's a bit more work but the results are far better than store bought. Fresh canned meat will last at least a year. It was good enough for pioneering folks back in the day. I figure its a great way to solve the same age old problem. Lots of info out on YouTube. With a bit of research and effort you can provision meats and vegetables for a long period of time.

Also Lin Pardey has a good book for reference......... "Care and Feeding of Sailing crew.". It's a great resource.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 05:31   #37

Boat: O'Day 28

I've always been curious about the nutritional value of (store-bought) canned vegetables. Has all the "life force" been cooked out? Can one stay healthy eating canned foods?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 06:58   #38

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

I know what you mean about "store bought" canned food. Although I am no nutrition expert..... Living long term on cans can't be a good. Everything is about making a buck.........if they can stuff scat into a can and sell it, they will.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:07   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
No one has mentioned the sailors staple....SPAM, the most versatile meat product ever made.
Oh, I've seen SPAM made. If I were starving in a life raft I would have to think about it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:50   #40

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Oh, I've seen SPAM made. If I were starving in a life raft I would have to think about it.
Yep. Here in the US, the latest outrage is called "pink slime" being OK to add into meat. I'm not a vegan yet but....
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:02   #41

My wife found that vacuum packed meat kept a very long time (3 weeks +) in our fridge. One time she brought out a chicken that smelled pretty bad but she skinned it and then washed it with vinegar and it was fine as only the skin had gone off. She also found that wrapping cheese in white kitchen roll before putting it in a plastic wrapping helped keep it mould free for many weeks, a trick I still use at home.
summerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:09   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
if i were starving in a life raft i would try to catch a fishie barehanded before i considered spam...is nasty stuff.....
i provision for longer passages by adding more of what i already eat normally and add finger foods of the sammich variety... catching fishies underway is a blessing as well... i keep canned/packaged tuna and canned veggies for when the fishies refuse to bite my lures.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 06:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
One more vote for fresh local produce. There are so many strange foods to be discovered so here are just two that I had never even heard of before going sailing.

Manioc - it looks awful but tastes just like potato only more chewy. The roots will last for a month.

Attachment 38651

Flat coriander - this stuff has lots of different names and tastes just like coriander. It will keep for 10 days.

Attachment 38652
Here in Guate called "yuca" and "cilantra". The "cilantra" has a flavor almost identical to "cilantro" (coriander), but grows wild. We just pluck it out of the yard around the house -- great stuff. The "yuca" can be harvested (root) and then the bits of the tree stuck back in the ground where it will re-root. Have a small patch at my place that we just continuously re-propogate.

Another favorite from here in Guate: Chile Coban....very nice smoked pepper.
Old 14-03-2012, 07:12   #44

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Good info, living in modern US I've become somewhat of a fridge addict. It's hard to realise, but refridgeration has only been around a few decades, (well maybe 7 or 8), before that if you didn't have ice, you had nothing.

It would be good to relearn and preserve the knowledge of keeping food at room temperature. In asian countries, where frideration is still rare and expensive, they mostly keep their food by adding copius amounts of salt, spices, and or drying the meat under the sun.

On maple syrup I used to keep it out, but I had some mold once.

Someone should start a food outlet, (IE whole foods, epicurian, etc..), that caters to naturalists, and cruisers. Food packaged for cruising or other outdoor sports, that has minimal, (biodegradable), packaging, and a non refridgerated eat by date clearly marked.

I've tried to buy old staples, like an oak barrel of pickles, or crackers, but so far not much luck.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 07:32   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Good info, living in modern US I've become somewhat of a fridge addict. It's hard to realise, but refridgeration has only been around a few decades, (well maybe 7 or 8), before that if you didn't have ice, you had nothing. ...
In many parts of rural Guatemala electricity and refrigeration is still uncommon. I lived w/out refrigeration or grid-power for about a year. I enjoyed it because I had to eat only "real" fresh foods. Much healthier I think than all the processed stuff common in developed countries.

Although, it is handy to have access to developed-country-like provisioning resources to get specialty items you want. Here in Guate, WAL-MART is now establishing a significant presence. We are just in Guate City and shopped at a new WAL-MART location (one of many). It was huge! Like Super WAL-MART in the US. We did not buy any food items, just other provisioning related specialty items which are hard to find anywhere else.

However, here in Guate WAL-MART is an upscale shopping experience. I found I really missed what I call the "cross-cultural entertainment value" so common in WAL-MARTs in the USA (think "Jerry Springer Show").

Tags
long term cruising, provisioning