Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2012, 07:45   #46

Boat: Able 50
Re: Provisioning for a Long Distance Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Here in Guate called "yuca" and "cilantra". The "cilantra" has a flavor almost identical to "cilantro" (coriander), but grows wild. We just pluck it out of the yard around the house -- great stuff. The "yuca" can be harvested (root) and then the bits of the tree stuck back in the ground where it will re-root. Have a small patch at my place that we just continuously re-propogate.

Another favorite from here in Guate: Chile Coban....very nice smoked pepper.
I got plenty more. Here's one that I only know as naus. It tastes a bit like a dense, unripe green apple. I don't like it raw but it is great in cooking.

Spondias dulcis (Naus) - fruit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:39   #47

I mentioned Hicama(spelling) in a previous post. We bought it in Mexico and it was still cool and fresh, crisp tasting in the Marquesas 4 weeks later. It is somewhat like sliced water chestnuts. Does anyone know the proper name(common) name for it?___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 16:59   #48

Boat: Able 50

jerusalem artichoke
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 18:41   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In YnGlitch hicama is usually spelt Jicama, but still pronounced hicama. In the US you'd find it in the southern markets, or the hispanic ethnic markets.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 18:50   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

All great examples of why you should not "over provision" before going cruising -- there's just so much cool stuff out there in the local markets. And interacting with the locals to figure out what this stuff is is half the fun. Definitely enhances your cruising experience.

For example, the mercado central in Guatemala City is absolutely amazing. Huge place with hundreds of square feet to all kinds of amazing produce and spices. The vendors will gladly give you small samples so you can figure out what you like. Even better, there's a food court area -- I've had some really good meals there -- often with no idea of what I was eating, but man it was good!

Another regional favorite: Rosa Jamaica, a type of hybiscus, makes a really tasty tea which will keep for weeks w/out refrigeration (unless of course you add sugar). We brew it up very concentrated so it takes up very little space and then mix to taste.

And, something you can only get fresh and local -- because it does not transport or keep well -- cashew fruit -- eat as is or make a very refreshing beverage from the juice.

In contrast, I tried to buy fruit juice in a US supermarket a few years back -- had a surprisingly hard time finding it (of any flavor) -- if you read the ingredients, almost all the stuff on the shelf is just flavored sugar water.

Damn, now I've got the munchies!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 04:07   #51

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

I am with belizesailor on this one. I think you are right on all points...........
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 10:48   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

jicama is good for ye. my son loves it...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 10:55   #53

Re: Provisioning for a long distance voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And label all your canned goods with a water proof marker!! ( don't ask!!) and you can make it almost anywhere in a cruiseing sailboat in 21 to 25 days, of course if ya plan for 40 days and 40 nights as my dad used to say, ya can't go wrong !! and his other saying was ALWAYS Bring more coffee then you could possibley drink ! Cus you will use it up !! Just what we have always done when cruiseing, plus a little hold out stuff that lasts forever LOL just our 2 cents
No, No... never.... it's exciting having a mystery dinner!
BTW: we found certain brands of Aussie or NZ corned beef were really great roast beef. Great in a pinch when you are out of meat supplies..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 15:54   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Another regional favorite: Rosa Jamaica, a type of hybiscus, makes a really tasty tea which will keep for weeks w/out refrigeration (unless of course you add sugar). We brew it up very concentrated so it takes up very little space and then mix to taste.

I think that's the ingredient in sorrel tea, isn't it? If it is, there's a good rum drink recipe that includes sorrel as well (search "sorrel tea")
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 16:24   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
I think that's the ingredient in sorrel tea, isn't it? If it is, there's a good rum drink recipe that includes sorrel as well (search "sorrel tea")

Yes, same stuff. Just a lot of variations in local names. Here in Guate "Rosa Jamiaca". Mexico "Flor de Jamaica"...

Tasty and healthy by any name (as long as you don't by the commercial concentrate stuff).

I'm working on a beer recipe named "Cerveza Rosa". It is an ale with just enough to give it a reddish color and a bit of Rosa Jamaica flavor and bitterness. The first test batch also had a nice reddish head!
Old 16-03-2012, 16:57   #56

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We still think carrying a little larger Pressure cooker for canning and the small Stainless Smoker we picked up in Alaska 10 or 12 yrs ago(which will run off a converter!) and we can fish and meat, and smoke fish and jerkey, peppers, and even make a little saugage(bou-dan rice saugage) and smoke it a little. we love to pickle tuna for 24 hrs then smoke litely, then can with a little olive oil !! AHH when ya get a whiff of that when ya open it make it all worth while !! ya can live good with home prepared foods ya put up aboard ! We have been semi-broke cruisers most all of our cruisein life and eaten pretty good !! just our 2 cents
Old 16-03-2012, 17:52   #57

A pressure cooker or steamer is great for conch steak too. So many people ruin this wonderful meat by doing silly things to it. Conch sashimi or lightly cooked conch steak with just a little lime or cocktail sauce for me.
Old 16-03-2012, 19:41   #58

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya atta try a Conk chowder some time ! mity fine eatin !!
Old 19-03-2012, 12:59   #59
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

conch chowder, conch fritters and jamaica ...yummmm
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 13:35   #60

Boat: Gib sea 43

corned beef and peanuts have loads of calories per square inch and keep for ages!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long term cruising, provisioning