Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 09:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
provisioning list

Hello, I am working on my first provisioning list and am wondering if there is a more simple process than I am using...... Currently its a yellow note pad, all the meals I make with the sides and then how many times I may make that in the next 5 months. surely someone has a better practice. If you have a spreadsheet or something that you use, would you be willing to share? We are looking at about 5 months sailing around the Bahamas and then back to Florida. Leaving the first 2 weeks of January if that helps.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 16:32   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: provisioning list

We usually plan the initial weeks worth of meals. Then stock the boat with ingredients we like for the next couple months.

We will have a wide variety of canned goods. Three different kinds of rice. At least three varieties of flour. Then the condiment we like. We will grab opportunities for fresh veg and fruits or unique regional foods as we find them. This works very well for us.
Old 25-11-2020, 17:12   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I run a spreadsheet....
A PDF copy - bi-lingual - can be found here https://docdro.id/WKPZC2h
Vertical columns are Establishment/ On Board/ Required.

What you need will depend on where you are going and what you expect to find in the shops when you get there.

Mine is pretty big as we often expect to be going 2 months with no resupply.

You soon find out what you aren't using..... in my case... rice/instant potato/ canned meat... ie Spam and corned dog... although Fray Bentos is OK at a pinch...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 17:43   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

5 months , whaaat, even my Atlantic crossing only required about 4 weeks in advance purchasing and planning and thats alot

Surely you will be provisioning locally as you transit , This allows you to use local foods , fresh vegetables , meat and fish etc

otherwise youll be eating spam for weeks, or making totally impossible recipes where you find you cant get " that" ingredient at the time

Id concentrate on a list of non perishable staples, I always bring stores of chopped tomatoes, UHF milk , pasta , rice , coconut milk , condiments etc. I find hot food gets increasing disliked as the temperature rises ( except on long passages ) . Clearly refrigeration and freezer capacity play a big part . I bring a few " desperation" tins like meatballs and a few things like that, usually I find Im bringing them home at the end of the season as well !!!

I also know a good selection of recipes , so when shopping locally , I tend to pick ingredients and then select ( or modify) my recipes to suit , rathe then having a fixed "meal plan " and finding the ingredients arnt available

Half the fun is sourcing the local food, plan for passage making meals and leave the rest to what you find you can provision locally , its rare to find areas of the globe these days where you cant provision
Old 26-11-2020, 06:13   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

No matter what you pack I would think that you will get tired of your own provisions in that amount of time.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:08   #6

I will definitely be purchasing local on the perishables, produce and the proteins, but we are going to do the first long trip being frugal. The things that are not readily available in the islands are what I am trying to stock up on. His favorite tea, my favorite spices things like that, and I am by nature an over packer so I am trying to be more necessity driven. I have a menu planned out for about half that time but of course it is not set in any particular order, just those are the meals I want to be prepared to make. I am thinking that if I double that I will be prepared and when we return what is left will go back in the pantry.
Old 26-11-2020, 07:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I run a spreadsheet....
A PDF copy - bi-lingual - can be found here https://docdro.id/WKPZC2h
Vertical columns are Establishment/ On Board/ Required.

What you need will depend on where you are going and what you expect to find in the shops when you get there.

Mine is pretty big as we often expect to be going 2 months with no resupply.

You soon find out what you aren't using..... in my case... rice/instant potato/ canned meat... ie Spam and corned dog... although Fray Bentos is OK at a pinch...

Thank you so much
Old 26-11-2020, 07:22   #8

Jamaican hard dough bread is hearty and travels well. Easy to make.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 07:27   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by got seashells? View Post
I will definitely be purchasing local on the perishables, produce and the proteins, but we are going to do the first long trip being frugal. The things that are not readily available in the islands are what I am trying to stock up on. His favorite tea, my favorite spices things like that, and I am by nature an over packer so I am trying to be more necessity driven. I have a menu planned out for about half that time but of course it is not set in any particular order, just those are the meals I want to be prepared to make. I am thinking that if I double that I will be prepared and when we return what is left will go back in the pantry.
This seems an excellent approach. Spot on.

So much of cruising is managing resources. With a well stocked pantry and access to water you can pull up anchor when you want to but not be forced to move just to provision.
Sparx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:31   #10

I want to say that this must be a cool journey! I was almost on the same route already!))) I want to give advice on how to store spices, if it comes in handy) The coolest option is magnetic jars! It helped me a lot)
JenMorri88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:02   #11

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I also put together a spreadsheet at https://www.questsofdiscovery.com/files (scroll down to the bottom of the list).

In my experience food consumption goes down on long passages at sea. Also, a "planned meals menu" changes after 1.5 days. I don't provision based on planned daily menus...I provision based on things I like to eat.

Also, things like warm cookies from the oven are a real treat once a week, and some dark chocolate is nice also.

Fresh bread is also great. I usually make Irish soda bread once a week. (I don't eat a lot of bread.) For lunch sandwiches, I use flour tortillas instead of bread...they last longer and roll up nicely for ease of consumption.

Staples such as rice, pastas, dried noodles, beans, etc are easy to store and last a long time especially if stored in sealed containers. I partition pasta and rice and beans into 2 person serving size and seal in vacuum sealed bags for storage.

I don't stock up on tuna...I have never failed to catch fish at sea...I used to get to port with more tuna than SPAM! (Unless you really like SPAM...there are many other better alternatives.)

Root veggies last a long time, other veggies not so much. Plan meals accordingly. Again, unless you really like the taste of canned veggies...it is something I would skip. Fresh veggies are usually plentiful wherever you go.

Recently I found those Tasty-Bite things are easy and pretty good over rice. Dress them up with canned chicken, fresh veggies, etc and they make a quick and excellent hot meal.

Provisioning is tricky business when you first start out...we tend to over-provision and somethings go to waste. With experience and based on location your diet and provision amount will likely change.

Oh...one last thought....if you buy in bulk....get a vacuum sealer and divide into smaller packages. Buying a greater quantity of smaller sized things like condiments helps reduce waste...you won't go through 1 gallon of mayonnaise in a passage.

Also be aware that some countries may confiscate certain items in your pantry upon entry...so check on that and use those items prior to clearing in.
Old 12-12-2020, 18:08   #12

Don't forget some preferred dried fruits, trail mix and meats. You can dehydrate, smoke and jerk your own or buy what you prefer. It makes for handy cockpit snacks and when you don't feel like cooking.
Captain_Kleusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 16:40   #13

Caned chicken, pasta, caned tuna, Pasta, caned clams, pasta.
Sorry not so helpful. I have the same problems with this list.
I am working on it tonight and leaving about the same time.
Good luck see you there.
Hog Wild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning