Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 08:05   #16

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Provisioning on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuvee View Post
In St Michaels, Graul's Market is 1.6 miles from the public dinghy dock next to the Crab Claw Restaurant. Uber is available in St Michael.
Excellent suggestion, thanks

I just learned about the Village Shoppe in St Michael's, which I will check out when we are there. Sometimes these small markets are excellent, and sometimes not so much.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You've named a bunch of places in the northern part of the bay.

If you will be venturing down into Virginia and the lower bay, there's a Harris Teeter Grocery Store and a Rite Aids plus Sub Way etc that you can see from your boat and if the wind is Southerly, it's a nice calm anchorage with a park right on the water.

You could take turns going to the store and staying with the dinghy etc

There's also a Pizza place and post office nearby .......and a McDonalds plus an ABC Store!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...!4d-76.2537957
I had not considered this open roadstead. But as you suggest with a southerly wind might be ok.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Not sure about a bus for the Annapolis Giant. If you use the dinghy dock to the left of Jabin's in Eastport you are about 1 mile away from Giant. Or anchor in Weems Creek and you are close to Graul's.
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of Grauls Market. I did not know about the dinghy dock left of Jabins. Getting in there would realky shorten the walk.

Thanks for the local knowledge.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:19   #19

Right at the southern end of the bay, in Norfolk at the anchorage near the USS Wisconsin, we dinghied ashore and walked to a supermarket. (Might have been a Harris Treeter?)

myageofsail.com
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:27   #20

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Excellent suggestion, thanks

I just learned about the Village Shoppe in St Michael's, which I will check out when we are there. Sometimes these small markets are excellent, and sometimes not so much.

I visited the Village Shop in St Michael’s last week while I was there. Nice little store, has a bit of everything, deli counter, fresh veggies (limited quantities), beer, wine, and liquor. Prices seems to be ok. Friendly staff.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of Grauls Market. I did not know about the dinghy dock left of Jabins. Getting in there would realky shorten the walk.

Thanks for the local knowledge.

I’m currently anchored in Weem’s Creek. Just got back from a trip to Grauls Market. I do like Grauls a lot, a tad pricey, but they have everything you’d need.

The great thing about anchoring in Back Creek is definitely the dinghy dock adjacent to Jabins. It is a decent hike up to the Giant grocery store, but there’s also a hardware store, West Marine, and Fawcett Boat Supply.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:57   #22

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Just remember that you have to wear a mask to go into retail stores and restaurants in Maryland. Not sure about VA's laws but I wouldn't go anywhere without one. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:57   #23

Boat: Catana 471

Bottom of the bay... anchor next to Fort Monroe in Hampton VA, aka Old Point Comfort. The city put in a new/free dinghy dock just east of the Water Street / RT143 bridge, just a few hundred yards from the anchorage. Fifteen minute walk to Food Lion.

Edit: also, Old Point Comfort marina adjacent to the anchorage will let you use their dinghy dock for $10/day, will accept packages for you, and has an excellent restaurant as well.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:03   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Just remember that you have to wear a mask to go into retail stores and restaurants in Maryland. Not sure about VA's laws but I wouldn't go anywhere without one. JMHO
It's the same in Virginia at least in this general area.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Bottom of the bay... anchor next to Fort Monroe in Hampton VA, aka Old Point Comfort. The city put in a new/free dinghy dock just east of the Water Street / RT143 bridge, just a few hundred yards from the anchorage. Fifteen minute walk to Food Lion.

Edit: also, Old Point Comfort marina adjacent to the anchorage will let you use their dinghy dock for $10/day, will accept packages for you, and has an excellent restaurant as well.

Another great suggestion. Although I’ve never been charged $10 to use their dinghy dock.
Old 02-09-2020, 19:24   #26

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

The earliest provisioning has got to be the Safeway in the Camden neighborhood of Baltimore. Just anchor directly north of Anchorage Marina, land the dingy at the tiny park with the fishing pier and walk across the street to Safeway.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
The earliest provisioning has got to be the Safeway in the Camden neighborhood of Baltimore. Just anchor directly north of Anchorage Marina, land the dingy at the tiny park with the fishing pier and walk across the street to Safeway.
Oh, that is a gem! A West Marine there too!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:05   #28

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDW View Post
I’m currently anchored in Weem’s Creek. Just got back from a trip to Grauls Market. I do like Grauls a lot, a tad pricey, but they have everything you’d need.

The great thing about anchoring in Back Creek is definitely the dinghy dock adjacent to Jabins. It is a decent hike up to the Giant grocery store, but there’s also a hardware store, West Marine, and Fawcett Boat Supply.
It has been quite a few years but there used to be a small dinghy dock further up Back Creek so the walk to the stores was even shorter than from the fancyish dock next to Jabins.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:41   #29

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDW View Post

A big thumbs up for Grauls Market as accessed from Weems Creek - and if you're shopping for wine/liquor, don't fail to check out the Walgreens Pharmacy (used to be Rite Aid) next door! Also, the little italian place on the end past Naval Bagels has great pizza

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:33   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Simon's Market in Cambridge is in easy walking distance from the municipal marine/yacht club/anchorage. Beware though, you will need to pass by RaR brewery and other impossible to resist distractions.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning