Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 10:51   #16

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Re: Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

If you have plenty of fresh water, backpacking meals can be a great and easy way to get your nutrition. Just did this in the Bahamas. For instance, Mountain House Pasta Primavera is in my opinion every bit as good as what you might get at a restaurant or make from scratch at home. The Mountain House Breakfast Skillet is likewise a good and filling breakfast. Each meal takes about 1.5 to 2 cups of boiling water. Try them out ahead of time to find out what you like. Even if you only eat one of these meals once every few days, it may be just the thing when you've had a long day and don't feel like doing "real" cooking. And another suggestion is to add canned vegetables to the freeze dried meals, like green beans or white beans.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 10:58   #17

Be sure to take care of your vitamins and minerals if you're doing a repetitive diet based on dried and canned foods. Your fresh fruits and vegetables will be the first to be used up before spoilage. A good multivitamin with plenty of Vitamin C and B's and calcium, iron, magnesium, and trace minerals will be important, especially if you'll be sleep deprived.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 11:04   #18

Going for 200 days and not eating oatmeal? When you are gone that long its difficult to figure out exactly what to bring because both your cravings and the sea state are going to kind of dictate what you eat. You will need food that you can eat cold such as power bars and etc. as well as foods that can be prepared any way you want along the way. One of my favorites for bulk supplies is Honeyville foods Shop Honeyville Online | Dried Food & Baking Ingredients | honeyville.com They cater to the Mormon crowd who are required to have one years worth of bulk supplies to hold them through what ever calamity that may come down the road. The only problem is their bulk supplies come in one gallon cans which once open can suffer from spoiling if you do not go through it fast enough.
As for servings as was found with mountain house foods a single serving as indicated on the package is for a person in survival mode. Be sure you bring at least enough for one and a half if you plan to be active on board. If not you may run out before the trip is over.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 11:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
200 days?

A goat and some chickens. Goats are pretty and chickens lay eggs.

Mark
I want to reply to this one so much... but no matter how much I try, I can't see how my post would escape the ire of some list admin for pointing out the obvious.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:16   #20

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F98ADG...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:17   #21

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

The Boat Galley by Carolyn Shearlock has many tips for provisioning on long voyages.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:21   #22

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Vacuum pack!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:29   #23

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfportBarb View Post
The Boat Galley by Carolyn Shearlock has many tips for provisioning on long voyages.
Carolyn and Jan are not really long-distance passagemakers. I think you're better off with the writings of Beth Leonard (The Voyager's Handbook and lots of articles) and Lyn Pardey (Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew).
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:31   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I would bring 16kg of parboiled white rice. Freeze for 2 days (to kill any bug eggs), containerize into 1kg portions, and seal well. I like rice. My goto food is rice mixed with some kind of protein, some kind of veg and some kind of sauce.

2 cases of cream of mushroom soup (thats the sauce, mentioned above) and a case each of cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, etc.

As much no-fridge meats as you can afford...beef salami, jerky, pepperoni, turkey jerky, etc.

A good selection of hot sauces, maybe 10 bottles. When the food gets dull, hot sauce can add a ton of flavour when cooking. Especially rice.

Black beans, lentils, chick peas, and kidney beans. These are all super nutritious, full of fiber, and go great with rice. 5 pounds of each (dry, not cans).

Ten pounds of dried apples. Ten pounds dried cranberries. Twenty pounds dry roasted peanuts. Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, hazelnuts, and as many pistachio nuts as you can afford. Pistachios are great for night watches, to help pass the time.

10 of those big plastic jugs of salsa. To go with the rice when you get tired of the creamy soups. They don't need to be refrigerated till they are opened.

10 jars of instant coffee with caffeine. 10 cans of powdered coffee whitener.

If you can find it...powdered eggs. I have found powdered eggs to be much better than they sound.

40 boxes of pasta, mostly elbow macaroni (easier to eat on a moving boat).

20 pounds of onions. 20 pounds of potatoes. Big bags of lemons, limes, apples, and oranges. But these won't last more than the first month.

And finally, when sailing the meals have less meaning...lunch, dinner, etc. I have found there is one big cooked meal a day, plus lots of snacking. Make extra so there are leftovers to enjoy when the weather or your mood turns foul. Get used to drinking lots of water. And when you get to shore, buy as much fresh fruit, veg, and meat as you think you can eat before it goes bad.

Cooking on a boat is different than cooking ashore.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:32   #25

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
I want to reply to this one so much... but no matter how much I try, I can't see how my post would escape the ire of some list admin for pointing out the obvious.

...... that chickens are pretty as well ?
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 12:53   #26

A little off topic but would consider a GoSun thermal oven. Would use less water cooking and cooking would be easier. You will be tired a lot of the time.
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 13:09   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

I can't imagine where you plan to go that requires 200 days nonstop. If you really plan to do that kind of a voyage, the food part will be the easy part. Buy lots of 25-year survival rations and rotate like crazy. This voyage sounds like a Magellenesque tragedy. If you mean to do such a thing, you won't have any of the fun of sailing around here and there. Blessings and prayers, but please don't look for crew. People don't want to sail 200 days nonstop.
qatharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 13:18   #28

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I suggest that you don't underestimate how much of an impact food can have on your morale. I am aware of quite a few passages that have gone poorly due primarily to a crew's dissatisfaction with the meals that were served. Consider taking some foods that you find are special treats. I like popcorn for night watches (low calorie and no sodium if you skip the butter and salt).

I understand your goal to sail around the world non-stop, however, I am almost certain that if you made the same passage and stopped along the way, you'd find it much more interesting, fulfilling and rewarding. Plus you get a wide variety of food, most of which are delicious.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 14:42   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
As I recall, watched one of Alex Thompson's videos about what he ate, he gulped food and had many calories each day. As I recall it was something like 4-5,000 calories.
Of course he is a younger man (than I am) and a very vigorous, fit and active, athlete at a high level of endurance and stamina,
and drives a rather nice large Black Merc that took quite a bit of fuel on Friday evening whilst I was filling up the Suzuki.

Most of use would be pushed to use 4,000 calories a day, even 3,000 needs some serious physical effort to burn off.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 15:01   #30

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
No bias here, but a small 12V watermaker (17Watts a gallon) with 300Watts of solar and operated every third or fourth day, is a perfect fit. As mentioned above, it is not uncommon for a single tank of water (200g) to go bad on such a cruise and that alone would force you to stop and take on water and possible repairs. Food is the easy part, without a watermaker chances are good you'll be forced to make a stop.
The boat have 2 40 gal water tanks and one 20 gal + the water maker. Good cofirmation Thank you Tellie

Tags
cruise, provisioning