Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 15:11   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
James-
Sprout growing has nothing to do with green thumbs or plant growing, really. More like a grade school science experiment where you stick some "seeds" in between a paper towel and the wall of a peanut butter jar, add some water and come back in a couple of days.
Or like buying a ChiaPet.
Fast options on the web.
For methods, see:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1772587

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1999088
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 15:33   #62

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
Then through the canal stopping there and then visit a little of the west coast of the canal zone the leap off toward hawaii for a fun month or two.
Hawaii hasn't been good for you in the past, you should go around.
Old 05-07-2017, 16:42   #63

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am still wondering about the 200 days at sea thing...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:46   #64

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

You don't want to know the number of those I have killed lol
Old 06-07-2017, 19:51   #65

DaveS Thank for the reminder.
Everyone in My family has steered clear of there for generations.
Old 06-07-2017, 20:19   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

One thing to add to the list... canned butter and cheese from Washington State; many things are improved with Cougar Gold! https://creamery.wsu.edu/
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:19   #67

DonC 200 days give or take 30 days
Solo three Capes
No race no record just personnel achievement.
I married a wonderful woman who is no longer with me. I raised a fantastic Daughter. That is happy and successful. I have had the honor of two great parents both deceased. I started and ran a successful business for 42 years. Served in the US Marine Corp. Have done 24 hour bicycle marathons. Swam across rivers. So much more to and this is now on that list.
Sorry everyone for this post .

I have been experimenting with making jerky not sure how to keep from maybe molding in packaging. I figured 190 oz. Or 12th lb. Would be enough.
Old 06-07-2017, 20:27   #68

Scott butter is better that is for sure.
Pancakes just aren't anything thing with out it. How many lbs would you figure I would need for 200 days?
Old 06-07-2017, 21:06   #69

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Solo three Capes
I married a wonderful woman who is no longer with me. I raised a fantastic Daughter. That is happy and successful. I have had the honor of two great parents both deceased. I started and ran a successful business for 42 years. Served in the US Marine Corp. Have done 24 hour bicycle marathons. Swam across rivers. So much more to and this is now on that list.
Sorry everyone for this post .

I have been experimenting with making jerky not sure how to keep from maybe molding in packaging. I figured 190 oz. Or 12th lb. Would be enough.
No need to apologize, and I don't mean to pry.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:44   #70

DL actually it was good legit question. Even people that know me wonder what am I thinking. The idea of a non-stop circumnavigation is the quest. I can always turn it in to a multi stop circumnavigation.

Had a Korrs chicken and broccoli meal last night not bad. I am starting to think 4 meals a day maybe more in line.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:48   #71

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
DL actually it was good legit question. Even people that know me wonder what am I thinking. The idea of a non-stop circumnavigation is the quest. I can always turn it in to a multi stop circumnavigation.

Had a Korrs chicken and broccoli meal last night not bad. I am starting to think 4 meals a day maybe more in line.
4 Meals....??
You will be surprised how little you feel the need to eat on a long sea passage....

You will graze rather than eat...
Old 08-07-2017, 00:05   #72

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

Interesting and relevant thread. Non -stop solo is a great personal goal.
Right now we are prepping for a two-handed circumnavigation in 34footer, not relying too much on restocking. The freshwater budget is 5 litres a day each. We have an electric watermaker and 300 litres in 4 tanks. Also, we have a saltwater tap to reduce water usage and ability to catch rainwater. These are not all fully trialled apart from assessing water needs. Right now I am in my forepeak berth which has most of the long term food supplies. when I open the locker it smells like a Chinese supermarket. have vacuum packed a lot of this. There is a lot of rice, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, jars of vegetables, pickles, oils, spices, jam, marmalade, fruit, nuts, packet soups, popping corn, cassava, buckwheat, curry paste etc etc.I tried MREs (self heating meal) Aside from their being expensive for one meal the flavour was rather sweet for my taste. We have a few of them in the "Grab Bag" for a liferaft situation.
Tasty food will help your morale when things aren't going so well. On the shakedown, which was a bit cold and rough at times we had mugs of instant soup in no-spill mugs and bits of Baby Bel or other cheese in a rind. Hot chocolate is easy to do and pleasing, even if, like us, you'd never have it at home.
A pressure cooker will help reduce cooking time and water use for the dried rice and beans. I also use mine for canning and pickling in half litre pickling jars. I try to keep pack sizes small. They are easier to stow, less to have open and less to drag around. I invested a lot of time standing in front of the Foodsaver, bagging bulk sacks into 500g bags. Chocolate, dried fruit, jelly crystals, chestnuts are packed into a "treats locker".
We do have a small fridge but it is mainly for milk, the next cold drink, cheese and romaine lettuce, which seems to last.
Hope this helps.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:32   #73

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
4 Meals....??
You will be surprised how little you feel the need to eat on a long sea passage....

You will graze rather than eat...
Good point, I agree, although others may enjoy cooking full meals on a passage.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:51   #74

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

lots of good ideas regarding what to bring int he way of food - but you will need to look seriously at how you intend to cook these meals

If you are using a propane stove - then you will need to bring lots of propane. Let's say you use 1-2 pounds of propane per week - you'll need at least 40-80 pounds or the rough equivalent of 30-40 liters of gas.

Not sure what size american gas bottles are, but our larger sizes in europe are 6 liters so you'd need 5-8 bottles.

1-2 pounds per week might be slim - heating water for coffee/tea (mutiple times per day), cooking beans/rice/potatoes/etc. Heating sauce.

There are two of us aboard Capri and we use roughly 2.5 pounds per week - but we don't make any real effort to limit our usage (that will change when we get to the Pacific) - baking bread? use lots of propane.

This is worth thinking aobut.

For food - well - beans taste great and if you add chili that they taste super good. For pasta, buy some dried mushrooms - they perk up the meal. Same for most dried veggies.

you can buy freeze-dried meat. It will last the entire voyage

Freeze Dried Meat | Dehydrated Meat for Food Storage

Not sure what this tastes like - but buy lots of chili powder,, lots of beans/rice/pasta and with the meat you can make vertuallly any type of stew/chili you want

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:33   #75

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Solo three Capes
Whatever your reason, I have always found that being well stocked on my boat is always a benefit. Too many places have either limited or no food available to purchase, or its extremely overpriced. I enjoy eating out as much as the next guy, but there is a lot of comfort knowing that I can eat aboard too. Most of the places I want to go are anchorages anyway. A sightseeing tour of the grocery stores of the world might be very interesting, but I don't enjoy carrying huge loads back to the boat when it can be avoided. Its nice to grab what I can easily carry in fresh produce and local delicacies.

On my local sailing voyages around Lake Ontario with my kids, they found my cooking to be nutritious, but dull. Until they found my stash of hot sauces. Hot sauces keep without refrigeration, and you need very little for a lot of flavour. Those boring rice/bean/pasta dishes can really come alive with the right hot sauce! FYI, there is a specialty store in Cobourg (near the harbour) that sells only hot sauce...well worth a visit if you are sailing nearby.

One Spicy Store! | Cobourg Now
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, provisioning