Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 13:56   #76

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

James Cook:
If I were you, I would try to connect with this gentleman:
Circumnavigation: Alone Around the World— part 1 - Sail Magazine
As for me, I don't like cooking while underway and would optimize the supplies to limit it as much as possible. Also, would take as much fruit juice, including tomato juice, as practical.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 18:36   #77

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Something else you might consider: On commercial river trips we had hot weather and no refrigeration so we would pre-cook meals, put them in heavy zip-locs, prepare meats and so forth and then freeze them all and continue by putting the whole cooler in a walk-in freezer overnight and then taping it shut and not opening it till needed, each meal in succession. That would last a little over a week. But that involved opening the cooler twice a day for meals for 20 or more folks. Now I haven't tried this yet but I'd consider storing pre-cooked meals, packed tight in a cooler, layers separated by thin neoprene or heavy plastic, and then fill it with water and freeze the whole thing solid. Then tape the lid shut. Pull out frozen layers or chisel items out as needed only once a day, after all the other fresh food gives out which would be a week or two in. I bet that block would still be mostly solid a month in especially if you used one of those fancy Yeti coolers. Of course it's not for 200 days, but it could save on some refrigeration, or at least guarantee some fresh food long into the trip if the refer gives out. Then after that you can break into the Chef-Boy-ArDee and the freeze dried food. You'd need access to a walk-in freezer, and leave it in there for a few days probably to be sure it is all frozen solid, and then the question is, where to put the big, heavy, solid block of cooler(s) in such a way so that you can drain the water as needed?
But to have a fresh, homemade stew or something, that you just have to heat up? A month or so into the trip? Wow, that would be something....

Ah well just a thought. I'll try it out and see what happens!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 18:53   #78
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Seriously, Don.
You just buy Dinty Moore and skip all the walk-in freezer nonsense that won't get him past the first week anyway.
Or, if you can really make a better beef stew, that's one of the many things you can can (bottle, Mason jar) yourself quite easily.
We've done the deep freeze routine, adding the frozen food into the ice box as "block ice" until needed. But after the third day? Uh, maybe skip the shrimp salad.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 19:02   #79

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
lots of good ideas regarding what to bring int he way of food - but you will need to look seriously at how you intend to cook these meals

If you are using a propane stove - then you will need to bring lots of propane. Let's say you use 1-2 pounds of propane per week - you'll need at least 40-80 pounds or the rough equivalent of 30-40 liters of gas.

Not sure what size american gas bottles are, but our larger sizes in europe are 6 liters so you'd need 5-8 bottles.

1-2 pounds per week might be slim - heating water for coffee/tea (mutiple times per day), cooking beans/rice/potatoes/etc. Heating sauce.

There are two of us aboard Capri and we use roughly 2.5 pounds per week - but we don't make any real effort to limit our usage (that will change when we get to the Pacific) - baking bread? use lots of propane.

This is worth thinking aobut.

For food - well - beans taste great and if you add chili that they taste super good. For pasta, buy some dried mushrooms - they perk up the meal. Same for most dried veggies.

you can buy freeze-dried meat. It will last the entire voyage

Freeze Dried Meat | Dehydrated Meat for Food Storage

Not sure what this tastes like - but buy lots of chili powder,, lots of beans/rice/pasta and with the meat you can make vertuallly any type of stew/chili you want
Nice forward thinking. Earlier I started another thread on propane use you are about spot on as far as propane use goes. I was palnning a 6 week shakeout cruise and do some actual usage computations on propane and toilet paper etc.
It is really good to hear some actual usage estimates Thank you.

Yes lot of chilie pepper and hot sauce...I like cyenne also.
I actually like chile either warm or cold. Baked beans are good cold straight out of the can(c-rats). Also warm coke and rum has a nice flavor(picked that up in England).
Old 09-07-2017, 19:12   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Seriously, Don.
You just buy Dinty Moore and skip all the walk-in freezer nonsense that won't get him past the first week anyway.
Or, if you can really make a better beef stew, that's one of the many things you can can (bottle, Mason jar) yourself quite easily.
We've done the deep freeze routine, adding the frozen food into the ice box as "block ice" until needed. But after the third day? Uh, maybe skip the shrimp salad.(G)
I do canning now I am a little concerned about he glass canning jars on the boat. Not only full but when empty and trashing around in 3-5 meter waves being a possiblity. The Fithies aren't very gentle.
I am thinking more ziploc and pre packages in mylar bags. Water proof , moisture proof and break proof stuff.

Thanks good imput helps confirm maybe what will work and what might not.
Old 09-07-2017, 19:18   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
James Cook:
If I were you, I would try to connect with this gentleman:
Circumnavigation: Alone Around the World— part 1 - Sail Magazine
As for me, I don't like cooking while underway and would optimize the supplies to limit it as much as possible. Also, would take as much fruit juice, including tomato juice, as practical.

thank you for the link. I will see if He is will to share any advice..
I am experimenting on how to take dried fruit and make fruit jucie out of it.
Old 09-07-2017, 19:20   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Seriously, Don.
Ah, you cut me to the quick sir!The challenge is on!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-07-2017, 19:24   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana_ct View Post
Interesting and relevant thread. Non -stop solo is a great personal goal.
Right now we are prepping for a two-handed circumnavigation in 34footer, not relying too much on restocking. The freshwater budget is 5 litres a day each. We have an electric watermaker and 300 litres in 4 tanks. Also, we have a saltwater tap to reduce water usage and ability to catch rainwater. These are not all fully trialled apart from assessing water needs. Right now I am in my forepeak berth which has most of the long term food supplies. when I open the locker it smells like a Chinese supermarket. have vacuum packed a lot of this. There is a lot of rice, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, jars of vegetables, pickles, oils, spices, jam, marmalade, fruit, nuts, packet soups, popping corn, cassava, buckwheat, curry paste etc etc.I tried MREs (self heating meal) Aside from their being expensive for one meal the flavour was rather sweet for my taste. We have a few of them in the "Grab Bag" for a liferaft situation.
Tasty food will help your morale when things aren't going so well. On the shakedown, which was a bit cold and rough at times we had mugs of instant soup in no-spill mugs and bits of Baby Bel or other cheese in a rind. Hot chocolate is easy to do and pleasing, even if, like us, you'd never have it at home.
A pressure cooker will help reduce cooking time and water use for the dried rice and beans. I also use mine for canning and pickling in half litre pickling jars. I try to keep pack sizes small. They are easier to stow, less to have open and less to drag around. I invested a lot of time standing in front of the Foodsaver, bagging bulk sacks into 500g bags. Chocolate, dried fruit, jelly crystals, chestnuts are packed into a "treats locker".
We do have a small fridge but it is mainly for milk, the next cold drink, cheese and romaine lettuce, which seems to last.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for posting
You say lots (can you define that a little better) and how long you figure those amonts will last you. that would be a good bit of info..

Ummm chinese made my mouth water. Think I will go make some right now.
Thanks again for the post

PS latest review: the korrs chicken flavored rice not bad i think they will make the list at $1.00 each good value tkaes bout 10 minutes to make.
However I tried some SPAM in a can. sorry tjhat is not getting any where near the boat. I don't think I would even use it as fish bait......... I got one bite down about gagged. Smelled so strong I had to take it and the can out to the trash outside. I was rifting it still the next mourning. yacky poo
Old 09-07-2017, 20:14   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
However I tried some SPAM in a can. sorry tjhat is not getting any where near the boat. I don't think I would even use it as fish bait.
Uh-oh, another strike against you in Hawaii
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-07-2017, 20:32   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
One thing to keep in mind is a lot of these items are plastic wrapped. If you aren't touching land for 200 days, that's a lot of garbage to collect.
I assume you have no intention of throwing plastic in the ocean.
Skip the watermaker, get a trash compactor instead to fit into your energy budget.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:13   #86
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think the 6-7L EU tanks are the same as our "twenty pound" US tanks, which these days are only filled to 17 pounds because of cheating. Ergh, no, because of the new safety float valves. (Like our "half gallon" bottles in the supermarket, which used to be 64 ounces but are now often 54 or 48 ounces. Magic.)

200 days...figure seven months, arguably seven tanks if you are cooking three times a day, which many folks wouldn't. If you focus on low-fuel cooking, you can easily cut your consumption in half. For instance, foods like pasta don't have to be cooked on a rolling boil. The boil stirs them up and apart. But a wooden or plastic spoon (absorbs little heat) can do the same thing, while they are simmering and there is no fuel being used. Might take 18 minutes instead of 10...but saves half the fuel. The are insulated pots which also allow foods to "simmer cook", and pot cozies to help with that.

Glass container on a small boat are problematic, for sure. When I grew up, everyone knew someone who had been cut up pretty badly by domestic glass. Glass room doors, glass kitchen cabinet doors...glass was a dirty word and I still don't like it around unless it is needed.

But cruisers do the same thing with wine bottles, when the good stuff (in boxes) isn't available. (Kidding!) They often will take a cheap bulk pack of white cotton tube socks, slip one sock over each bottle to cushion them, and pack them tightly together. Empties can be rinsed & go back in to keep the pack tight, or other material can keep them snug.

You can also buy stretch wrap, the heavy stuff used to wrap things up for moving, in rolls as small as 6" wide. Wrap that around jars, and at least if they crack, most of it is contained by the plastic. It is not the same as food wrap, but it isn't expensive, either.

Spam: Yeah, then you might also want to skip the Underwood tinned meats. And use the Vienna sausages as crab bait, too.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:52   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Skip the watermaker, get a trash compactor instead to fit into your energy budget.
I ordered a Mr. Fusion generator which will solve my fuel, trash and battery needs.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Uh-oh, another strike against you in Hawaii
DonC You really have me rethinking that second trip to Hawaii

Quote:
Hellosailor But cruisers do the same thing with wine bottles, when the good stuff (in boxes) isn't available. (Kidding!) They often will take a cheap bulk pack of white cotton tube socks, slip one sock over each bottle to cushion them, and pack them tightly together. Empties can be rinsed & go back in to keep the pack tight, or other material can keep them snug.

You can also buy stretch wrap, the heavy stuff used to wrap things up for moving, in rolls as small as 6" wide. Wrap that around jars, and at least if they crack, most of it is contained by the plastic. It is not the same as food wrap, but it isn't expensive, either.

Spam: Yeah, then you might also want to skip the Underwood tinned meats. And use the Vienna sausages as crab bait, too.(G)
I like the package wrap I have dozens of rolls of it here at my store from 4" up to 24"
Yes I don't think the canned meats will make the cut.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:22   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
I am trying to put together a "what to take list"..
This thread would on be concerned with Food.
Size boat 40' has typical refrig. for a 40', 300w solar, water maker, 200 days non stop give or take 20 days. (God willing and with King Neptunes cooperation)
Since you mentioned boat size and 200 +/- days at sea, may I suggest:

Powdered meals. Yes, powder. You mix with water, and then drink them. High in protein. Low fat. Low carbs. I suggest "ISOPURE". I like "Strawberries & Cream" flavor. It comes in a few other flavors. Please see the three attached photos. Please read the ingredients. One-hundred calories per scoop. Three scoops per drink. One drink = one meal. You can put enough on your boat to last 2-3 years, OR MORE, non stop.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4647.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	151575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	151576  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4646.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	151577  
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 20:10   #90

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

Beware long response, you have been warned!!!!

Did a 2 week hiking trip this is what I ate....

I opened everything up and measured what it took to make a portion placed that information on a piece of paper in the ziplock bag with the item one ziplock per item instead of many packets of the same thing.

Ate the same thing for the 2 weeks, might not be something you want to do for 7 months, but may give you ideas of what to take...

I was hiking so finding some fresh berries I could eat during the day or add to pancakes in the morning....

Bob

Breakfast:
https://jet.com/product/Aunt-Jemima-...b2bb6e7fcca772

https://jet.com/product/Quaker-Insta...dc2ed4f999f668

snack:
https://jet.com/product/Emerald-Smor...2b93c64db82f6c

Lunch:
https://jet.com/product/Herdez-Flour...9d2cdffdf2b2bc

https://jet.com/product/Jif-Peanut-B...98feef1852274c

https://jet.com/product/Smuckers-See...56bd43e0a5fee7

https://jet.com/product/Lipton-Soup-...25e663baa08e3e

snack: