Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 18:14   #1

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

I am trying to put together a "what to take list"..
This thread would on be concerned with Food.
Size boat 40' has typical refrig. for a 40', 300w solar, water maker, 200 days non stop give or take 20 days. (God willing and with King Neptunes cooperation)
What food and how much would you bring on board?
I eat anything but oatmeal/sushi.
How much would you count on Fish from the sea?
What for breakfast? How Much?
What for lunch? How Much?
What for dinner? How Much?

I am a creature of habit. I could eat the same thing 7 days a week for the same meal for the full 200 days if needed. But variety is also okay too.
There is probably no wrong suggestions here. Feel free to take a stab at it. Please.
Old 23-06-2017, 18:27   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

There are some good threads on this I believe... try a search and look through the "Provisioning: Food and Drink:" forum. But my favorite is Seaworthy Lass's here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-113368.html

But be warned! Don't read it on an empty stomach!

as far as suggestions:
think of things you get odd cravings for from time to time... funny how some of those taste even better when yer out sailing. I never eat salami, but out sailing I crave it. Smoked oysters too. And turkey chili... man I'm hungry, gotta go make dinner.

200 days non-stop? whoa, where ya headed? You're getting a BI40 not a Flicka, right?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 18:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

A lot depends on where you are going to be sailing for 200 days.

High latitudes require a totally different diet to tropical sailing.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:06   #4

Nonstop solo RTW on a slow boat?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Salt Beef + Ships Biscuit + Cheese + Weevils + lime + Grog = The Traditional Menu

With respect, and in a sincere question: Why 200 days NONSTOP?

What is the point of "nonstop" for 200 days? What is your goal?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:33   #6

StuM, Delancey : Solo RTW 40'yawl. 10 ton. I am plotting two diff courses (capes or canals) not sure at this time. Working on when and where to start also.

I am trying to figure quanity of food .

Steady all good suggestion but am not a drinker (of course this trip may make one)
Old 23-06-2017, 19:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You could look into the meals and provisions taken by the recent Vendee Globe racers.

They sailed (raced) nonstop RTW.

As I recall, watched one of Alex Thompson's videos about what he ate, he gulped food and had many calories each day. As I recall it was something like 4-5,000 calories.
Of course he is a younger man (than I am) and a very vigorous, fit and active, athlete at a high level of endurance and stamina, and was sailing at the pinnacle of endurance racing and in the Southern Ocean etc. You can probably find the menus or types of food mentioned in the various videos on youtube about that race.

Also, you could google and look into what Jean Socrates might have taken on her trips RTW. She is older and may be a good example for metabolism etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 23-06-2017, 22:38   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
StuM, Delancey : Solo RTW 40'yawl. 10 ton. I am plotting two diff courses (capes or canals) not sure at this time. Working on when and where to start also.

I am trying to figure quanity of food .

Steady all good suggestion but am not a drinker (of course this trip may make one)
There is no way you are going non stop if you take the canals.

There is always a wait time going through them and you have to go ashore for paper work. You will also have to take on line handlers. It would just be silly to not take advantage of this situation to provision.

The first question you need to answer is how you will meet your water needs. While you could survive on 200 gallons which would mean one gallon a day I would suggest more. Also some food choices require water for prep. Standard fare like rice and beans means a gallon a day will not be enough.

As others have noted fishing success is related to your route. My experience has been while it is possible to catch some fish on a passage I have always been a lot more successful fishing at anchor, especially if I could get in my inflatable and choose my spot.

But the bigger question for me is why you want to do this non stop.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 06:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There is no way you are going non stop if you take the canals.

There is always a wait time going through them and you have to go ashore for paper work. You will also have to take on line handlers. It would just be silly to not take advantage of this situation to provision.

The first question you need to answer is how you will meet your water needs. While you could survive on 200 gallons which would mean one gallon a day I would suggest more. Also some food choices require water for prep. Standard fare like rice and beans means a gallon a day will not be enough.

As others have noted fishing success is related to your route. My experience has been while it is possible to catch some fish on a passage I have always been a lot more successful fishing at anchor, especially if I could get in my inflatable and choose my spot.

But the bigger question for me is why you want to do this non stop.
All good points.

It is good to be prepared, and that includes be prepared for your plans and voyage preparation to be spoiled by events or chance or weather.

On a 2,500 mile voyage across part of the Northern Pacific, we trolled (fished) with recommended fishing gear (plastic squid of different colors) and only caught one large Dorado (Mahi Mahi). That fish was very good, welcome fresh meat, but I thought we would catch more. Some boats on some courses on some parts of the ocean catch lots of fish. Some don't.

Also, we had about 100 gallons of water in the main tank when we left Hawaii. There was no water maker on board, and the engine was non-functional, so we sailed the whole way. IF we depended on a electric water maker, without a redundant power source, we would have been very thirsty or SOL.

We were becalmed for several days too. Near the end of 30 days, we were at the bottom of the water tank (4 men on boat, using the water for only drinking and food prep) and then the water was foul with scum and bio growth (not my boat). It was so foul no one wanted to drink it, as it looked like green algae soup. Some unforgettable lessons learned.
Old 24-06-2017, 06:13   #10

Boat: Currently in between

I've never prepped for this before so I can't speak to the food. However, I would state if you are planning on fish as being part of the diet you should take lots of extra tackle. You're gonna lose some lines, hooks, lures and if you don't have sufficient backup tackle that part of your planned meals, fish, will be no more!
Old 24-06-2017, 07:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There is no way you are going non stop if you take the canals. If you do not go ashore would that not still be considered non stop?

There is always a wait time going through them and you have to go ashore for paper work. You will also have to take on line handlers. It would just be silly to not take advantage of this situation to provision. And this is part of the reason for my posting things I have not thought of. Can't all the paper work be taken care of by a (what are they called) Agent without going ashore? Maybe the line handlers would invalid the solo qualification. I thought anchor out for the wait period to go thru the canal. Maybe the canal route is off the table.Thank You for bringing this up.

The first question you need to answer is how you will meet your water needs. While you could survive on 200 gallons which would mean one gallon a day I would suggest more. Also some food choices require water for prep. Standard fare like rice and beans means a gallon a day will not be enough. Water maker , solar as noted in OP

As others have noted fishing success is related to your route. My experience has been while it is possible to catch some fish on a passage I have always been a lot more successful fishing at anchor, especially if I could get in my inflatable and choose my spot. Yes Fishing is always a 50/50 that is why I was asking for some outside imput. Thank you this helps confirm. the plan for the worse.
But the bigger question for me is why you want to do this non stop.This is a just a another personal achievment. Because it is there to do
Just to name a few things. Going back seven generations I was the first in my family to get a college degree, first to study at Trinity Hall, Cambridge England, second in my family to join the US Marine Corp., start my own business by the age of 24. drove from San Clemente Calf. to Quantico Va. only stopping for gas and food in 45 hours(in a 55 T-Bird 10 gallon tank $.36 a gallon 12 milea a gallon 27 stops for gas), recieved my Lifesving Certification at age 15, swim across the Ohio River and back at Newell WV., achieved doing 134 pushups in 2 minutes, Rode 351 miles on my bike in 24 hours non stop, worked 68 hours straight with no sleep. There are more but I am sure you aren't that interested and others have probably done more interesting worthy things.

You asked I felt windy...
r
Old 24-06-2017, 08:09   #12

Bacchus good imput definenitly alot of hooks, line, leaders, cast net and wieghts. can always make lures form aluminum cans, may all und up being dead weight but who knows.
Old 24-06-2017, 08:38   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

No bias here, but a small 12V watermaker (17Watts a gallon) with 300Watts of solar and operated every third or fourth day, is a perfect fit. As mentioned above, it is not uncommon for a single tank of water (200g) to go bad on such a cruise and that alone would force you to stop and take on water and possible repairs. Food is the easy part, without a watermaker chances are good you'll be forced to make a stop.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 08:54   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Do you have the boat yet? Or a boat yet?
I would really suggest a two-week shakedown cruise to see how your ideas and the boat get in order. Among other things a menu for two weeks can be repeated until the whole trip is done. But.
Your refrigeration will be almost worthless for a trip even two weeks long. Very little besides cold beer will keep for more than two weeks, unless it is frozen, not just refrigerated. Eggs, fresh eggs, sure, a bit longer but not the length of your trip.
Which puts you at tinned, freeze-dried, or other staples for the bulk of your food. Breads, only if you bake them fresh.
The Vietcong will tell you that a 20# bag of rice is all you need to keep one busy man going for one month. Cooked in the morning, eaten cold at lunch and dinner, there's little fuel to burn as well. The question is, where you decide to set the bar for yourself, beyond that. If you're not a foodie, heck, seven bags of rice and you're good to go.
In those two weeks you'd be able to clock your consumption of toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, soaps, all the things you can't get at sea. (Well, unless you have Amazon's drone delivery service.)
If you plan to take pasta, you can save considerable fuel by letting it come to a boil, and then shutting the flame, letting it slow cook in the pot. Potatoes have a limited storage life, even in the fridge, but instant mashed can be pretty good if you know how to cook them. Dried lentils, beans, store well but need fuel to cook, and some practice.
Shelf life and your eating habits really are going to call the shots. And don't forget to carry enough provisions to accommodate possible spoilage and a delay en route.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 09:04   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

200 days?

A goat and some chickens. Goats are pretty and chickens lay eggs.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, provisioning