Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 09:53   #1

Provisioning Recs in the BVIs for 5 night charter

We are chartering a Lagoon 42 our to Nanny Cay next month. We will be landing at 3:30pm at EIS so want to have groceries delivered to the boat in advance so that we can get going once we arrive to the marina. Recs for who you have used for provisioning that you liked / ones to avoid? Many thanks!!
cschaebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:37   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Provisioning Recs in the BVIs for 5 night charter

I've used Riteway before, and Caribbean Cellars for alcohol. If you arrive at 3:30PM you won't be leaving the dock that day. First, assuming the flight is on time, you will have 30-60 minutes before exiting the building. Usually only 1 immigration officer is there, sometimes there are 2 but once all the belongers (locals) are processed that officer leaves. And despite less than 100 yards between airplane and baggage carousel and a pickup truck to transport between the two, I've waited another 20-30 minutes for my bag to show up after clearing customs.
Then you have a 45 minute drive to Nanny Cay, but you'll be in high traffic so more like 60 minutes.
Then, you have to do the charter paperwork and the boat checkout and chart briefing. Even if everything is done quickly and efficiently, that will bring you to around 18:00.

Since all of the charter companies I know in the BVI won't allow night sails and sunset is around 18:30, you will be at the dock until the next morning.

So perhaps you could combine the taxi ride from the airport with shopping at Riteway, since you'll be passing the store on your way to Nanny Cay.

The biggest complaints I've heard about the delivery services is that often they will "substitute" items when not actually necessary. Going shopping yourselves will avoid that possible problem.

I've spent about 15 years in total at Nanny Cay (on my own boat) and what I am always amazed at, is the huge amount of leftover provisions that the cleaning crews take off the boats (and bring home). The BVI has a bar and restaurants in just about every anchorage and often happy-hour drinks ashore turn into restaurant evenings instead of BBQ aboard. That needs to be catered for, as food isn't cheap in the BVI. Of course such items as salt, pepper, spices, etc. are always left over, but they are cheaper than steaks and other perishables.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:33   #3

Re: Provisioning Recs in the BVIs for 5 night charter

what he said
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter, provisioning