Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2023, 11:43   #31

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Provisioning with no refrigeration?

To supplement all the excellent advice already shared here, The Boat Galley also has a small book on this topic: https://theboatgalley.com/refrigeration/

My first boat- which I ventured throughout the S PAC had no refrigeration. I learned from locals different ways to marinade seafood to keep it consumable for a couple of weeks at a time. (I don’t recall the recipes, but similar to ceviche with fish fillets) and lost my notebooks decades ago…)

In case it is useful.

Cheers, Bill
Old 28-05-2023, 13:44   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Thanks to all! What a great group on this forum.

Concerning the question of why I am thinking about this when I have a boat with a fridge: I am looking at smaller boats, some of which do not have a fridge. Besides, smaller often means fewer batteries so I'm thinking of how to reduce power usage.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 13:48   #33

Boat: Hunter 340

Very doable. Not the most healthy for a lifetime but very doable for two weeks. Stick with carb heavy canned or boxed foods. Pastas, beans, canned meats/fishes, etc. The hard part if you have a significant other isn't survival it is a WAF (wife acceptance factor).
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 14:32   #34
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
When I turned the lights on, I saw the biggest insect I have ever seen in my life. It was a cockroach. Inches long. Or as they call them in Florida a palmetto bug.

the palmetto bug also has a very pungent odor when squashed .. very pungent
Old 28-05-2023, 17:08   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hi Dr. D,
I can tell you how I do it. I have a small 29', no refrigeration and 2 weeks is fine for me and the kids. Think in terms of freezing a lot before you go. I have one large "Max cold" cooler that I store all frozen things in, including some pre-made meals, along with a couple large frozen juice bottles. I have a strap over it too to be sure it seals well. Before I leave I pack that as full as needed and then add some dry ice. I only open this when I am pretty sure I know what I am getting I have packed so that the things I want first are on the top. Something like sliced meats I will separate into plastic bags so one bag represents a days worth or so then I freeze them all and only pull out what I need. (I try to avoid buying a block of ice because I can't really use it as it melts. Cubed ice is worse because it melts faster, but I might bring some for adult drinks for early in the trip. Pre-frozen juice makes more sense.) Then I have a medium cooler that fits in the hanging locker. It too has a frozen bottle of juice to keep things cool until it is thawed, then I replace it and we drink that bottle. Only things that need to be cool are in there like cheese or jam. Then I have the boat's cooler which is not really well insulated and is just ocean cool. So that is for stuff like eggs or bread. When all that stuff is eaten up, if we get to that point, then the canned and wrapped goods come out. I put cereal and crackers and such in plastic tubs with screw tops. It all works pretty well for my needs.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 17:52   #36
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hi Dr. D,
I put cereal and crackers and such in plastic tubs with screw tops. It all works pretty well for my needs.
Where do you get your plastic tubes?

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 19:41   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Where do you get your plastic tubes?

dj
Here in Cal we have a chain called "Smart and Final" which caters to restaurants too and they have these clear tubs:. The large ones just happen to fit perfectly on my shelves:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...al-153058.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 03:12   #38
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Here in Cal we have a chain called "Smart and Final" which caters to restaurants too and they have these clear tubs:. The large ones just happen to fit perfectly on my shelves:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...al-153058.html
Great thread! Thank you.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 07:49   #39

I'll put in my two words worth:

Uber Eats

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 12:34   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The key to grocery shopping in the islands is....don't bring cardboard aboard...bags or boxes...though it is a pain in the rear end....unload your groceries from the dink....one by one and put them on the deck or pass them to someone standing or sitting there.

You'll thank me later...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 14:00   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

However, although cardboard prophylaxis is good, remember cockroaches are beetles: they have wings and they fly in unless you are well screened. Like other flying insects, they are attracted to light at night, so will fly out to your low down anchor light and position themselves to come aboard at first light. Sneaky creatures.

The great big ones called palmetto bugs in Florida are also found other places in the world, and including on my boat, once. Like this, I am groggy, coming on watch around midnight, and Jim says, "Ann, there's one of those 3 inch long cockroaches aboard, he just got away from me. Good night, dear." Hmph!

We got it the next day.

Actually, Dr. D., the real issue here is: is life better with refrigeration? And it is.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:59   #42

Boat: Yamaha 33

Lynn Pardey's book, Care and Feeding of the Sailing Crew, has lots of info on cruising without refrigeration.
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:09   #43

Boat: Island Packet 38 Cutter - Evergreen

Refrigeration is a bonus/luxury --- NOT a necessity.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:11   #44

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

No one has mentioned fermented foods. They get better with time.
Lots of sauerkraut recipes online. You can cut back half on the salt, if you like.
Sauerkraut has vitamin C, and is good for your digestion.
Use purple cabbage, add extra water, and use the extra juice as starter. Coleslaw made of carrots and cabbage, with sauerkraut juice in the dressing will get better for a week, and it has all the benefits of fresh vegetables, and more.
Bubbles are normal. The white scum on top of fermented foods is benign. Just skim it off and discard. There will be a cabbage smell (makes me think I have a propane leak) after a few days of fermentation. Ignore it. Put the fermenting sauerkraut outside in the shade if you want the smell out of the cabin.

Meat and chicken can be 'marinated' with vinegar, or, better, white wine for fowl and fish, and red wine for red meat. It will keep for a week at least. Add lots of garlic for better, longer preservation. Cayenne or hot peppers to suit your taste. Makes the best barbecue!
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:17   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
No one has mentioned fermented foods. They get better with time.
Lots of sauerkraut recipes online. You can cut back half on the salt, if you like.
Sauerkraut has vitamin C, and is good for your digestion.
Use purple cabbage, add extra water, and use the extra juice as starter. Coleslaw made of carrots and cabbage, with sauerkraut juice in the dressing will get better for a week, and it has all the benefits of fresh vegetables, and more.
Bubbles are normal. The white scum on top of fermented foods is benign. Just skim it off and discard. There will be a cabbage smell (makes me think I have a propane leak) after a few days of fermentation. Ignore it. Put the fermenting sauerkraut outside in the shade if you want the smell out of the cabin.

Meat and chicken can be 'marinated' with vinegar, or, better, white wine for fowl and fish, and red wine for red meat. It will keep for a week at least. Add lots of garlic for better, longer preservation. Cayenne or hot peppers to suit your taste. Makes the best barbecue!
Jinx!

Was getting a post together about kimchi and other methods. I created a thread on kimchi a few months back.

Also, there is pressure canning for meat, fish, vegetables
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning, refrigeration