Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2023, 14:55   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Re: Provisioning with no refrigeration?

Carolyn shearock on the boat galley website has written a good bit on this topic. Go to theboatgalley.com website and you will find it. Wealth of knowledge by actual cruiser.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 22:22   #62

Boat: Hans Christian, Christina, 43

Grith
The western Australian Cruising Guide is available from the Fremantle Sailing Club. There is a section on the Kimberley's and more info can be had from the Kimberley Coast Cruising Yacht Club’s web site www.kccyc.org.au. If you want additional info Email Terry: yachties@yahoo.com and get the latest copy of Terrys Topics, he has made Sat charts and GPX waypoint files that work with the WA cruising guide, making life easy when planning a trip.

Our blog: svmatilda.com
svmatilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 23:27   #63

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

With dried foods, look out for the extra water you will need to carry to rehydrate. Tinned foods basically don't need much or any extra water
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 23:50   #64

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grith View Post
Water is one of our biggest potential issues. Yes I have been reviewing buying a RO Watermaker but they are both outrageously expensive and our need for one is uncertain as The Kimberley’s does have some waterfall and stream water in most dry seasons.
One of the issues with RO Watermakers is they actually don’t like sitting unused and our need is potentially very intermittent and restricted to this one trip as with both a pressure seawater extra tap in the sink and 220 Litres in tankage and portable containers we are generally fine for drinking water.
Heading up there for about a 3 month very remote cruise without resupply next year is the challenge for food, water and fuel.

Have you checked out the Western Australia Cruising Guide form the WA Yacht Club? Lots of 'cruiser added' notes in this, especially about where to get water in the North West.
If you have not seen it before, look for the episode in 'Free Range Sailing' where Troy talks about his justification for getting the Katadyn 40E watermaker. Apparently it 'thumps' when in use, so is best not to have it in the saloon if someone is off watch.
Basic justification is you don't need to carry water, and essentially make it on a daily basis - or every few days - which reduces weight that HAS to be carried, so that can be used for food or spares that are also heavy.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:09   #65

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
Red wine is best at room temperature. Cold beer is a luxury for while the ice lasts

Why do Brits drink warm beer? Lucas refrigeration. (shows my age, perhaps)
Har Har... room temperature beer in the UK = the temp in the pub cellar which is about 1ºC above freezing ie permafrost.

Red wine? Room temperature?
Depends on the temp in the room
Old 03-06-2023, 02:39   #66
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Water is one of our biggest potential issues. Yes I have been reviewing buying a RO Watermaker but they are both outrageously expensive and our need for one is uncertain as The Kimberley’s does have some waterfall and stream water in most dry seasons.
One of the issues with RO Watermakers is they actually don’t like sitting unused and our need is potentially very intermittent and restricted to this one trip as with both a pressure seawater extra tap in the sink and 220 Litres in tankage and portable containers we are generally fine for drinking water.
Heading up there for about a 3 month very remote cruise without resupply next year is the challenge for food, water and fuel.
It’s a matter of mindset. Where you wouldn’t use the RO because you can jug water from a public tap, I would use my RO instead. Not just because I don’t like to jug water but also I distrust if it’s safe to drink, I want to be self reliant and prepared in case utility water becomes unavailable.

Waterfalls and streams are not always a trusted source of water. I pull it through a RO system to make sure. I do take rain water though.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:43   #67

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
There are a number of inexpensive membrane filters that will remove pathogens from water and make it safe. I recommend the lifestraw as they are one of the few that provides lab results on their website.

You also should carry some chlorine bleach, but don't run bleach treated water through your lifestraw filter. Bleach is effective against nearly everything except protozoa. If the water is otherwise "clean", an oz of bleach to every tank when you fill up might be all you need.

220 liters is enough for 2 people for 2-4 weeks, assuming you conserve and depending on how much. If you really conserve, wash dishes in salt water, and bathe in rivers/streams or salt water, you would only need to resupply a couple times.

Don't keep all your water in one tank, in case you lose it, it becomes contaminated, etc. You should always have 40-50 liters of emergency water separate from your main storage.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:18   #68

Boat: C&C Northeast 39 (sold)

Hello Doc,
You've got lots of good suggestions on this thread. I am trying to run down the protein rich recipes I enjoyed on a 21 day Outward Bound expedition in the Lake Chelan Cascade Sawtooth Wilderness in Washington state in 1996. I've always thought they would adapt well to a transatlantic crossing. Since seeing your query, I've written to the Northwest school, and am waiting to hear back. As you can imagine, everything we carried came in sealable bags, were lightweight and compact, and quite delicious. There were 9 of us, with one remote resupply. I will get back to you either way. Photo, August 1996 with snow in background.

Cheers, Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hugh.ob cascades.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	276271  
Hugh McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:07   #69

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Billions of people around the world who live maritime lifestyles managed to live and still do without electrical fridges, and somehow they even manage to eat more healthy too!
Depends on your lifestyle and eating habits but IMHO Fruits and Veggies (the main reason to have fridges) won't last more than 2 weeks with or without a fridge so I am conflicted about rebuilding a fridge vs just using a portable one; (in general the fruits or veg that can last longer don't require refrigeration if stored right.)
Fresh meat can be home canned pretty much everything else can be stored dry or preserved.

Learning to eat like the locals without fridges helps ie Philippine adobo recipes with marinating in vinegar
Little tricks like storing butter in brine etc

Some folks are mindful of the plastic pollution associated with prepackaged foods

A small fridge just for chilling things is easy, can be even one of them portable fridge freezer brands but if we're talking large builtin jobs, do you really need it?
I guess it depends on what you like to eat but aside from freezing meats I can't figure much of a use - but for ice cream, which is a nonnegotiable item board for for some, and no point living without.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 16:03   #70

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Dr. D:
With all the fine posts of others all I would add is:
-As a rum and coke drinker, I would switch to gin and tonic in the Bahamas
-Someone mentioned train mix. I made a mixture of raisins, chocolate chips and peanuts. Stored in 2 liter coke bottles made it makes a great snack in the cockpit--even if it was raining.

With all the excellent information others have provided, gaining weight may become your major problem.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning, refrigeration