Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 17:17   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Question about US Food Products

We can alota fish ,tuna, cobia,redfish, along with beef in the pressure cooker, as the folks above do, lots of fish out there and home canned tuna is way better then you can buy !! just our 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:22   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

If one does not mind hard tack, there is canned pilot bread. I usually have a fair amount on hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Half-Case-Futu.../dp/B005IPVFE2

or

Pilot Bread | Crackers

GH Bent has been producing a variety of traditional crackers and hard tack since 1801:

Results for Hardtack & Crackers

Canned Boston Brown Bread (B&M) has already been mentioned. As for SPAM, I am actually rather fond of it, particularly fried and eaten with bread and hot mustard. There is also a wide variety of preserved meat and sausages out there as well. Summer sausage is good because it requires no refrigeration and one does not have a metal can to dispose of.
Old 22-01-2012, 14:26   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

You'll love the Azores. They are beautiful.

UHT milk is increasingly available in the US. If it isn't with the rest of the dairy products check the area for baby food. Parmalat is a common brand on the US East Coast in liter boxes. You can also find one cup "sippy boxes" that are very handy. "Mini-Moo" coffee creamer is also UHT.

Spam is not real food. Your opinion may differ. Try some before you stock up. I have had similarly bad experience with canned ham. Canned chicken, tuna, corned beef, and salmon have worked out well.

I load up on fresh fruit and veg and eat as much as possible early days before it goes bad. I keep it out where it is ventilated and I can see signs of early turning in time to use it up.

Cabbage, carrots, oranges, apples, onions, and potatoes last long enough to carry you nearly all the way there.

Morningstar soy-based sausage is quite good and lasts a long time even without refrigeration.

Making your own bread is easy but does take some practice. Don't put off making it the first time until you are at sea. Practice on the docks.

Arnold makes a product called Sandwich Thins that last a long time. Recommended.

Eggs last a long time. I store mine in a locker near midships and flip the whole carton every three or four days to keep the albumin coating the inside of the shells. I've gotten months from eggs. We bought 14 dozen at Tesco in Hamble and I was still eating them in Annapolis three months later.

There are a lot of options for canned food in the US with near indefinite shelf life. Some are better than others.

A Foodsaver (brand) vacuum sealer is worth its weight in gold. It nearly doubles the life of most products.

Choices vary depending on your fridge and freezer capacity.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 20:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Canned Boston Brown Bread (B&M) has already been mentioned. As for SPAM, I am actually rather fond of it, particularly fried and eaten with bread and hot mustard. There is also a wide variety of preserved meat and sausages out there as well. Summer sausage is good because it requires no refrigeration and one does not have a metal can to dispose of.
http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...0Awful/ugh.gif
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 20:52   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

@Rebel Heart--hahaha, good one! SPAM is still a step up from the IMP (Individual Meal Pack), albeit a small one.
Old 22-01-2012, 20:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
@Rebel Heart--hahaha, good one! SPAM is still a step up from the IMP (Individual Meal Pack), albeit a small one.
Maybe it's my delicate sensibilities as a liberal southern Californian. I'm hitting up the farmer's markets and eating organic beef where the cows all have college educations and the such. Spam for me is just horrible.

How about some ham/eggs/potatoes scrambled together in a cast iron pan with some olive oil and rosemary?

Simply, delicious, and without the mystery-meat aspect of spam.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 21:17   #22

Spam is nothing more than deboned pork shoulder. Your ham/eggs/potatoes scrambled together sounds great. I will have to give that a try this week.
Old 23-01-2012, 05:24   #23

All this talk about Spam made me hungry! I gotta run to the supermarket and grab some Spam. I have the bread and mustard already! Watch the "breaking news at 6:00PM" for Spam-related food poisonings. Next, I gotta look up some Paula Dean recipes to make later on.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 05:41   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

sorry cant eat the stuff, without breaking into a monty python routine, also it brings back my child past and I remember what crap we ate then.!
Old 23-01-2012, 06:00   #25

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Maybe it's my delicate sensibilities as a liberal southern Californian. I'm hitting up the farmer's markets and eating organic beef where the cows all have college educations and the such. Spam for me is just horrible.

How about some ham/eggs/potatoes scrambled together in a cast iron pan with some olive oil and rosemary?

Simply, delicious, and without the mystery-meat aspect of spam.
Fried (sliced) potatoes, (with olive oil garlic, and a dash of turmeric, with corned beef, and finished with sour cream is one of the top foods of all time.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 06:03   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about US Food Products

Anyone with sensebilities who's worked in food manufacture would not eat a lot of the products.. from sausage and pies to spam....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 06:07   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Oh, you mean this one?

DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 07:12   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

thats the one

Dave
Old 23-01-2012, 07:25   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

The next time you are in Austin, MN USA don't forget to visit the SPAM museum.

SPAM > SPAMŽ Museum
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Anyone with sensebilities who's worked in food manufacture would not eat a lot of the products.. from sausage and pies to spam....
Right On! Don't forget to mention frankfurters, peanut butter, argentinian orange juice, tuna fish (the Hg), etc., etc., etc....
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food