Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 08:46   #31

Re: Quick - I need 10 Quick Easy ... and Meatless ... Recipes !

Mix Greek yogurt, and yes it needs to be Greek yogurt (tastes way better), tahini, and some garlic

Hellacious awesome dip, or put it on baked potatoes, or just eat it...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 09:01   #32

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually

Goulash, boil shells (or any pasta you want cooked al dente), saute onion (1), green pepper (bell pepper any kind 1) and a clove of garlic with 1 tbsp of oil (any kind), add diced tomatoes (2 cans), tomato sauce (1 can) and noodles after draining, heat and serve, very good. I cook it with lean ground beef as well (cooking with the onion/pepper/garlic, but it can be done vegetarian too.
Old 25-01-2012, 09:07   #33
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

one of my favourite vegan sauces is walnut paprika sauce. I take a small amount of coconut or olive oil and sautee onions adding copious fine chopped fresh garlic when the onions just start to turn translucent, continue till the onions just start to brown. then add a cup or so of walnuts that have been chopped fine in a food processor and a good shot (1/2 cup or more)of flax oil, copious (like two tbsps) of paprika then salt, optionally soy sauce , crushed red pepper flakes and or nutritional yeast flakes( all to taste). just heat enough to thicken and let flax oil absorb. then add water to make a creamy sauce. Do not overdo the heat after adding the flax oil its easily damaged by heat just enough to get it to absorb. There are many variations like adding bell peppers with onions and garlic when sauteeing, Ive had raves everytime I make this sauce. goes well over pasta, rice,spaghetti squash, potatoes and ???? cooled it also makes a great salad dressing and is super healthy for you supplying the essential fatty acids and omega 3s from the flax oil and medium chain fatty acids from the coconut oil. Loads of fiber and protein from the nuts.

A good complement to this is taking more nuts and making mock parmesan cheese by processing nuts, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder together to shaker cheese consistency, Has much more flavor than conventional parmesan cheese which these days is half cellulose powder taken from wood if purchased already ground aka Kraft etc....
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 12:58   #34

Just checked out your blog... so no refrigeration, eh?

Another recipe: dice some onion finely, add chickpeas/white beans, red sweet pepper (if you have and she likes it) - fresh or canned, olive oil, squeeze some lemon, add salt, black pepper to taste. Can also add fresh garlic. No cooking necessary. If this recipe is to be used during passage, remove onion and/or garlic

Adding olive oil, lemon juice (or light-tasting vinegar), and some garlic/onion is a Turkish way to cook any veggies. It works surprisingly well with all.

If a veggie is too tough to eat raw, sautee it by first cooking onion in olive oil until translucent, then adding the veggie in question and salt to taste. After it's done cooking (taste to figure that out for your own palette), add lemon juice and black pepper. Done.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 14:48   #35

Oh, almost forgot about this guy

VeganBlackMetalChef's Channel - YouTube

Don't know how y'all feel about black metal, but his recipes are good, and I think the vids are funny
Old 25-01-2012, 15:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
by now the missus is probably getting pretty tired of egg dishes and pasta, i found a few seafood recipies she may like to get her teeth into!

These recipes have generously been submitted to TASSC for you to try at home. If you would like to submit your own recipe (any kind of recipe) via email, please click here. We look forward to receiving them and trying them in ou...r own kitchens!

Steller Sea Lion Recipes
Sea Lion Ribs
Cut the ribs up in manageable size pieces. Salt and pepper the ribs. Broil until crispy. This recipe is better if cooked over a fire or coals. Barbeque sauce can be used, but just plain salt and pepper is best.

Sea Lion Liver or Heart
After soaking over night, cut liver or heart in small steak size pieces. Dip the steak pieces in seasoned flour mix (flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder) and fry in grease. This recipe is very good fried with onions.

Sea Lion Steak
Cut steak size pieces from the shoulder area and season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Fry or broil. Also good on the barbeque.

Sea Lion Roast
Cut meat from the breast area, place in roasting pan with lots of onions, a few potatoes, and carrots. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 2 hours. Roasting bags can be used and makes for a very tender roast.

Beach-Fire Sea Lion Shoulder Roast
Take the shoulder blade with plenty of meat on it, season with salt, pepper and garlic, then wrap in tin foil. Place shoulder blade side down on coals. About 15 minutes before finished cooking, place beach peas, greens and burnet in the foil with some Lee & Perrins sauce. Cook until done.

Boiled Sea Lion Intestines
After cleaning out the small intestines (baking soda or salt can be used, making sure to thoroughly rinse out), soak over night. After soaking, take intestines and slice a small 1 inch incision length wise every 6 inches or so. Stuff about 2 inch sized pieces of fat into incisions. Braid the intestines with the inserted fat and boil in shallow water for about 1 hour. Serve with Lee & Perrins sauce and rice. Also good cold, sliced and placed on bread with fancy mustard.

Sea Lion Burger on the Grill (Serves many)
Take about 3 pounds of burger (ground with some fat, maybe 5%), add 4 eggs, about 3 cups of chopped onions and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients very well, then shape into huge burgers and grill until done. Serve burgers with fresh steamed fireweed sprouts and rice.

Sea Lion Stir Fry
Take stew size chunks of sea lion meat, flour and season them, then stir fry until almost done. Add a bit more flour and water to make a sauce. Simmer until done and serve over rice or noodles.

Sea Lion Meat, Neck Bone, and Stone Soup
Take stew size chunks of sea lion meat and the neck bones and boil with seasonings of your choice. Add veggies and simmer until done. The neck bones are good to chew on.

Sea Lion Flipper Over a Fire-Pit
Take sea lion flipper and place on the fire to burn off the hair and black skin. This doesn't take very long- maybe a 1/2 an hour with a good fire. Remove the hair and skin as you turn the flipper. Once all is removed, let cool. Place the flipper in a bag with seasonings (salt and pepper) and let sit in a cool place for a day. When ready to cook, simmer the flipper in a big pot with shallow water for about 1 hour. Once fully cooked, take the flipper out and place on a large platter. Eat hot or cold.
Is is okay to substitute manatees. There's a dearth of sea lions here in the southeast???
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:37   #37

Boat: Cape Dory Typhoon

Ingredients

1/3 cup brown rice
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup diced onion
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste
ground cayenne pepper to taste
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers, drained
1/3 cup shredded carrots
2 cups shredded cheese-I use cheddar and pepper-jack 1/2&1/2
Directions

Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini and mushrooms. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned and everything is heated through.
In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, beans, chiles, carrots, and 1/2 the cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

You can make this ahead and freeze it.use as a main dish, We roll it in warm flour tortillas
Neecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:22   #38

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Quick, I need 10 quick, easy... and meatless... recipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
snip

Cheese and milk products are also important for good bone and teeth development.
That is outdated information promoted by the dairy industry and the USDA (which promotes the dairy farming industry). Yes it's true calcium is essential, but there are many non-dairy foods that contain high levels of calcium and other essential vitamin and mineral nutrients. Dairy also contains high levels of animal protein, and that inhibits using calcium for bone formation as explained below.

Nations with the highest levels of dairy consumption are the same nations with the highest rates of osteoporosis. Doctors have learned that high intake of meat and dairy also causes higher acid levels in the body, and the body compensates by using calcium to neutralize acid. In cases of a diet with very high meat/dairy protein intake, the body may even draw calcium from the bones.

There are many credible studies and references on this in the literature. Here are just a few.

https://www.msu.edu/~corcora5/food/vegan/osteo.html

Boning Up on Osteoporosis

DOES TOO MUCH ANIMAL PROTEIN CAUSE OSTEOPOROSIS?

(You don't need protein from meat or dairy. Your body breaks down proteins into amino acids and then utilizes them to form the protein it needs for cell growth. You get those amino acids along with vitamins and minerals from plants and other sources besides dairy.)
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:27   #39

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Uhhh,,i was about to wade in with my own offerings,,,then i saw "Meatless" and i lost all my creativeness...

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Uhhh,,i was about to wade in with my own offerings,,,then i saw "Meatless" and i lost all my creativeness...
Yeah, thanks for sharing that. Guess what... there are some really, truly, bowed-up fine extremely muscular in shape beautiful men in India, all coming from that ancient vegetarian lifestyle.

take it somewhere else, k?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22   #41

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

OOOO! somebody got up on the wrong side of bed today !!LOL come on its a food thread, a little kidding is helpfull !! I sorta liked the Sea Lion recipes myself !! LOL
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Yeah, thanks for sharing that. Guess what... there are some really, truly, bowed-up fine extremely muscular in shape beautiful men in India, all coming from that ancient vegetarian lifestyle.

take it somewhere else, k?
If you think meat and other animal protein is needed (as food) for muscle development you don't know much about nutrition or how the body processes food.

As for "extremely muscular in shape beautiful men" Here's a link.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:34   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Try allrecipes.com

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:16   #44

Sailfastri, I wasn't being facetious. Go look up "Hrithik Roshan"
Old 11-03-2012, 17:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Sailfastri, I wasn't being facetious. Go look up "Hrithik Roshan"
got it now.

Tags
recipes