Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2020, 13:35   #16

Re: Remove can labels to prevent bugs/roaches?

I invested in a vacuum packer / sealer for such things as flour , sugar , pastas , and so on ! The 4mm bags are like armor against bugs ! Also I tend to seal in 2 and 4 serving portions for usage practicalities but you can do any portion amounts you prefer as the bags are resealable ! Just my approach to addressing the problem ! And YES , "NOOOO CARBOARD" comes aboard !!!
Imagineou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 14:04   #17

Boat: Hunter 38

You can get flour weevils anytime, not just on a boat.

We are in a 15th floor condo and recently had a bought of the little buggers in flour we got from Costco. When we discovered them they'd been in some rice and some dried beans as well.

After a little research turns out its not uncommon at all. Now all new flour gets put in a large ziploc and put in the freezer for a couple of weeks which kills them and makes the eggs infertile. No need to remove it from the original package, just put the whole think into a ziploc.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 14:50   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

The LAST thing one needs is cockroaches aboard. The only solution I have found (other than empty the vessel and close it off--then total fumigation) is to use cockroach baits--the ones that make the eggs if any are laid after contact with the bait infertile as well as killing the adults.

I put these baits in lockers, corners of galleys, wherever the pests can travel in search of food.

Wherever roaches are likely to come aboard, which is where they land on deck before scurrying to the nearest dark space, is a good place to hide baits in any spot where rain will not reach them. Mostly cockroaches (except the American ones which do not mind light)--are nocturnal things.

Some baits are REALLY effective--the pests die within a few feet of the bait and can often be found kicking their last in the morning.

Australia, and I suppose America too, has MANY different varieties of the little pests. In the rain forests in Australia are found the giant ones some people keep as pets.

All of the ones that come aboard are a damned nuisance--and the ones from the cartons are often the American ones and the German ones. You can pick them by their accents--just kidding. These are smaller than the locals, and do not travel as far. They seldom travel more than a metre from where they are camped. The big Australian ones seem to be in two types--flyers and non-flyers. Both types roam widely and over the entire vessel--the BIG flying Australian ones I have had come aboard even in the middle of a mangrove creek while hiding from a cyclone. Deck lights will also attract them aboard. Wharves and jettys are often infested with them.

Cockroaches also love the nectar of some flowers--so they are found EVERYWHERE--and they will eat ANYTHING--even carrion if there is little else. They will also nibble your feet while you sleep--

But no--as long as you do not store your cans in the bilges, you need not remove labels.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 01:08   #19

Boat: Nicholson 55

This is a really good thread.

I’ll just add that if you have done your sailing in a temperate climate, you have no idea of what is about to happen as soon as you go somewhere warm.
Methersgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 20:32   #20

Boat: Westsail 32

Use 'Harris Roach Tablets' and you won't have a problem with roaches....

https://pfharris.com/products/harris...kills-roaches/

(Just a very satisfied customer...)
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote