Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 07:31   #1

Boat: Dufour 382 37'
Question Remove can labels to prevent bugs/roaches?

Hello! We're leaving soon on an ICW run south, from ANP to FL. Then, in Jan, we'll cross the Gulf Stream and cruise the Bahamas and maybe northern Caribbean thru Apr '21.

How critical is it to remove paper from the boat for this trip?

I've seen & heard folks talking about the importance of storing flour in containers and removing the labels from cans of soups, beans, vegetables, etc -- the idea being that paper (and perhaps especially WET paper?) is good food for bugs, especially cockroaches.

We're happy to remove the labels and write the contents with a Sharpie. But, by the same token, we'd certainly rather not go to the trouble, both now & later, if it's unnecessary for a cruise of this type.

So what say you? Shall we systematically remove all paper, or not worry about it so much? Many TIA for your replies!
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 07:57   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Remove can labels to prevent bugs/roaches?

It's actually the glue they like. Take some boric acid with you just in case if you bring any onboard.

Always a good idea to remove the paper so they don't deteriorate and fall into the bilge. They will quickly clog a bilge pump.

Depending how you store your cans, nice to write on the tops in sharpie to be able to see what's in the can.

Short answer, we remove the labels.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 09:26   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38

We too remove the paper and write on the lid. We find the labels fall off when stored for anytime in humid conditions.

We do not bring cardboard on board to minimize bug stowaways.
Old 31-10-2020, 09:49   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I don't remove the can labels, but I do write the contents on the top of the can due to my storage situation. I do unbox all boxed goods, and repack dry goods like flour, rice and pasta.

I have never had any bugs in my canned food storage. However, dry goods should be repacked in plastic. Several smaller containers would be better than one large one so when bugs hatch they don't ruin all your stores. I have had bugs in flour, pasta, and rice after a month in storage. ymmv. If all your stores come from the US, all of this might not be necessary. But in Indonesia bugs appeared in my dry goods very often.
Old 31-10-2020, 11:45   #5

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

These are great answers. Our thanks to everyone. Now I understand the other variables in the equation.
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:04   #6

Boat: C-Dory, 22 ft

They eat the glue, which is quite tasty, and go through paper to get to it. My Auburn, Alabama girlfriend once commented how the humidity made the glue on her stamps disappear. She had a little tube of glue to make them stick. I simply told her "Matter cannot be created or destroyed". It didn't take her mind long to work out that roaches were eating the glue (droppings), and she barfed right there in front of me. Keeping everything in ziplock bags solved the problem. I've also used this technique (any plastic bag seems to do the trick) all over the tropical world, Brazil, Indonesia, Tanzania, Angola, etc. I'd typically take some to be sure I had them. With a packet of water/oxygen absorbent inside, this also keeps items from corroding. Be aware that customs people sometime look skeptically at those packets.
Robhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:05   #7

Boat: challenger 32,

Absolutely, put canned food on dock take off labels, using ever sharp sharpie mark on can what it is, give quick coat of shellac. will save you a lot of "creepy crawlers" de Susan W7KFI and 7Q7M
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:19   #8

Forget removing labels. They are too tight for bugs and if the bugs do like glue, they are already on your boat. Food just doesn't last that long aboard because you use it up not to mention that can or two that stays around for a year you become suspect about eating it anyway. 50 years ago someone wrote a cruising book about cans and labels. "Remove them and varnish your cans!" We did it once back then.... What a joke!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:39   #9

After 10 years of cruising in the Keys and Bahamas for 4-5 months a year, I offer the following:
Never let cardboard on board including 6 pack can/bottle carriers.
Put pasta, cereal, etc into ziplock bags.
Don't bother taking labels off unless 1) they will get wet or 2) you already have bugs onboard.
Bargain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14   #10

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargain Bill View Post
After 10 years of cruising in the Keys and Bahamas for 4-5 months a year, I offer the following:
Never let cardboard on board including 6 pack can/bottle carriers.
Put pasta, cereal, etc into ziplock bags.
Don't bother taking labels off unless 1) they will get wet or 2) you already have bugs onboard.
Agree with Bargain Bill. And probably when and not if a few visitors show up, highly recommend Advion cockroach. Comes in preloaded syringes making application easy. Very effective.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

Most current cans use plastic glue. The bugs won’t eat that. I take labels off because they make an awful mess if they get wet. And get rid of all the paper packing immediately. Even if there’s no bugs involved, it means only one trash run.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:23   #12
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedKite View Post
Hello! We're leaving soon on an ICW run south, from ANP to FL. Then, in Jan, we'll cross the Gulf Stream and cruise the Bahamas and maybe northern Caribbean thru Apr '21.

I've seen & heard folks talking about the importance of storing flour in containers and removing the labels from cans of soups, beans, vegetables, etc -- the idea being that paper (and perhaps especially WET paper?) is good food for bugs, especially cockroaches.

We're happy to remove the labels and write the contents with a Sharpie. But, by the same token, we'd certainly rather not go to the trouble, both now & later, if it's unnecessary for a cruise of this type.

So what say you? Shall we systematically remove all paper, or not worry about it so much? Many TIA for your replies!
I am aware of this practice and did so initially but think "it all depends". If you are going on a very long cruise, particularly in hot humid bug infested areas, then you might go through the trouble. There are always those cans that you somehow never get to using.

I keep a selection of canned goods on the boat, never remove the labels, and have not had any infestation here in the northwest or on my roundtrip to Hawaii over a couple months.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:30   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I’m happy that I have never had a big problem. Yet. Since my home food has not been a problem I tend to leave labels on from items that I buy at home. But when traveling I do remove them since I don’t know how big the problem might be at different locations. I hope I don’t regret this method.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:07   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

I never have removed labels or taken things out of the cardboard (other to save space) and haven't had any roaches.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:26   #15

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedKite View Post

If you anchor out, bugs and rodents should not be a problem. Caution, in the tropics some of the roaches can fly. The number one thing to do is freeze any rice and flour before you store it. The labels on cans will make a mess if they get wet in the bilge. If you store your cans in bilge bags(like the reusable grocery bags you get at Trader Joes) it makes cleaning the bilge much easier.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote