Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2007, 20:44   #1

Replacing the kerosene stove with a propane, advice

Hey everyone! I've got a kerosense stove that's about as old as dirt, and it's on our list of things to go. I've had my eye on the Seaward Princess: Princess 3 Burner Gimballed Stove*

(which, by the way, is nearly $700 less than West Marine, including shipping)

I'm having a bit of a hard time in making sure that when the $1000 stove is sitting on my doorstep that it will fit into the existing slot. Is there any helpful suggestions that you guys might be able to throw at me? I'll double - double check this weekend, and take as exacting measurements as I can, and then line them up with the diagram.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 21:59   #2
Kai Nui

Measure once, measure twice, then expect to modify. It is unlikely that you will run into any real issues if you are replcing a 3 burner with a 3 burner. Or even a 4 burner. I have had good luck with the princess 2 burner. Nice and simple, and the temp is consistant. We had one on Kittiwake, and bought one brand new for the trimaran.
Old 31-05-2007, 01:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
This may be one of the few occasions where you can effectively use a carpenter’s square, on a sailboat.
I too have been happy with the Seaward stoves ('tho 2 burner).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 22:01   #4
Kai Nui

Never trust a boatright with a level in his tool bag
Old 01-06-2007, 01:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The level can be slightly useful when blocking a newly hauled boat. Otherwise, see Kai Nui's admonition

Old 01-06-2007, 03:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Why 3 burners?? Haven't figured why you'd need all those burner thingys. Cruised and lived aboard for a number of years with a two burner kerosene and NEVER wished for more burners. In our home, can probably count the times we've used more than two burners on the fingers of one hand. How does the stove gimbal properly for cooking underway with a three burner top?? Seems like it would never balance properly because of the offset of the burners.

Just curious why anyone would want more than two burners. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Now for Alcohol, it may be another story. You may need all three burners to equal the heat from one kerosene burner.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:33   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
Why 3 burners?? Haven't figured why you'd need all those burner thingys. Cruised and lived aboard for a number of years with a two burner kerosene and NEVER wished for more burners.
Before we got our new boat which normally came with a two burner we specified a three burner and the dealer swapped out the two burner and installed a three burner. It's true we seldom use all three burners at the same time but the main advantage of the three burner is a larger oven. Most of these stoves you can hardly roast a small chicken but with our three burner we have done nine pound turkeys. Excellent for Thanksgiving and Christmas on our way south. Last year we had four other cruising couples over for Christmas at Key Biscayne. The Force Ten three burner handled it all. The bigger oven does come in handy. If you have the space I'd recommend a three burner. The boat is our home six months of the year so we live like we do at home. No MRE's for us.
Old 11-08-2007, 23:02   #8

Well, I managed to get it all done:
Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Eric's Blog - - Meet our new stove!

I opted for the two burner, because I wanted to make sure it would fit. I sort of wish I had got the three, because I already would have used it. The other day I was making a big breakfast, and I needed to have eggs, potatoes, and sausages cooking at the same time.

Even if I had the three burners, I don't think it would have worked, just because the pans and burner areas are so small. Perhaps it's just something I need to get aquainted with.

You can see in the picture, the stove was a bit narrow, so we ripped off the existing gimball mounts and put on new ones, which wasn't difficult, but needed to be done properly.

Overall I've been quite happy with my stove so far!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 15:49   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Looks great! I replaced the stove in my boat a while back and have been very happy (3 burner with oven). The problem I have is that most pots are the wrong "aspect ratio" - i.e. too big in the diameter and not high enough, so in order to get 3 pots on the stove at the same time, you need to have rather small pots, especially if using a frypan. I will eventually find some appropriate smaller diameter taller pots I'm sure, but I'm in no hurry.... anyway, I digress. Neat job.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 04:13   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Choosing Pots and Pans to Improve Your Cooking ~ by Amy Albert
A few well-chosen pieces—starting with a good stockpot and a heavy sauté pan—can make a big difference.
Choosing Pots and Pans to Improve Your Cooking - Fine Cooking Article

Old 13-09-2007, 11:56   #11

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Eric, I had to look at almost every pic on your site before I found the pic of your barbecue on back. Barbeques really aren't barbeques as they were meant to be; the modern barbecue is really a grill and an oven, which is great for many boaters.

First during the breakfast you were cooking and needed three burners, you could have thrown a frying pan on the barbecue and cooked your potatoes for example. Also if you purchase a cheap pizza stone (spreads the heat better - learned this trick from a baker) and a thermometer to read the internal temp, the barbecue will also make a good oven. I routinely cook all my whole chickens on my home Weber barbeque, using the Weber "beer can" chicken roaster. I've roasted duck using the barbeque, and several other meats.

So just because you aren't grilling steaks or chicken parts is no reason to not use your barbeque for other functions.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote