Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 20:16   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Restoring Fresh Water Tank

thanks for the links to suppliers!
Old 19-12-2016, 10:24   #17

Any thoughts on using vinegar instead of bleach? We use vinegar for removing scale and hard water spots.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Any thoughts on using vinegar instead of bleach? We use vinegar for removing scale and hard water spots.
It's good for a lot of things, but it needs to be pretty strong I think and 40 gallons of vinegar might be expensive...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 11:54   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Vinegar is a mild acid, and will dissolve calcium carbonate. Good use for the stuff. What I'm not so sure about is the concentration you would need to kill the critters Mervyn has growing in his tank. Chlorine (AKA bleach) is the standard additive for that job, found in every municipal water system. They both have roles to play in keeping our water systems going; cruisers who don't use a vinegar flush when they notice scale starting to form later post threads about how to remove total blockages in inaccessible hoses.....
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 12:23   #20

Although often touted, I have tried straight white vinegar for soaking small items in to remove white crusty deposits... assume that is some sort of calcium. I have been amazed at how poorly it works. Basically doing nothing at all. Just saying that is my experience although I hear the vinegar suggestion often.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:18   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Vinegar won't kill most bacteria, we use it as an ear flush diving because it leaves the ph so acidic bacteria wont grow, but it doesn't actually kill the bacteria, just inhibit growth, and this at full strength mixed with alcohol, the alcohol helps dry the ear.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:23   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Although often touted, I have tried straight white vinegar for soaking small items in to remove white crusty deposits... assume that is some sort of calcium. I have been amazed at how poorly it works. Basically doing nothing at all. Just saying that is my experience although I hear the vinegar suggestion often.
Lime away or phosphoric acid solution. We switched all our pickups away from aluminum and to PVC for this purpose.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, water