Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 10:46   #91

Boat: Aquarius 23' and a 17' Kit bass boat
Re: Rice and other long-term rations storage

For co2 grab the small 12 gram cylinders and use a bike tube filler up nozzle that uses the co2 canisters. No need to carry a 10 lb cylinder.
mynameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:00   #92
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Additionally, I'm not sure I would want to carry a standard 10 or 20lb charged CO2 cylinder in the boat since that, in my mind, makes the cabin a confined space hazard."
I call that "fear of fire extinguishers". A CO2 bottle makes a fine fire extinguisher, even though I would question whether an extinguisher uses "food grade" gas.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:00   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
If you are long distance cruising where provisioning (as discussed in this thread) is a concern I'm not sure CO2 is going to be plentiful. Additionally, I'm not sure I would want to carry a standard 10 or 20lb charged CO2 cylinder in the boat since that, in my mind, makes the cabin a confined space hazard. But, those issues aside, you are right, CO2 would also fit the bill as a heavier than air, oxygen displacing gas.
You lost me! CO2 is good to put out a fire or wire feed welding. I wouldn't have a second thought about having it onboard. I'm not sure if Halon (sp) is better. CO2 is probably cheaper and more available My only concern of CO2 is, the tanks are heavy and they need to be well secured. If you snap a neck you have a missile. How did it get into this discussion about food storage?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:18   #94
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There was mention of CO2 being added to food containers, to ensure killing critters that might want to breathe air in them. That's how CO2 got involved. You mentioned a reluctance to carry 10 or 20# bottles of it, which are essentially the same as extinguishers, which is why I mentioned extinguishers.
Securing a CO2 bottle is no big deal, if you can secure a battery or anchor, you've already got the skills for it. And if it is an extinguisher, hopefully there's a secure mount for it. Personally, I like the "no clean up" aspect of CO2 extinguishers. And it would take a truly gross leak to cause a problem from a CO2 bottle of any kind in the room (cabin) assuming you've got normal ventilation. CO2 poisoning isn't like C) poisoning, you'll be tipped off that you need to go on deck for air long before it endangers you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:26   #95

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If you are cruising areas without much access to co2, check with any bar serving draft beer. Most keg setups use co2 with the exception Guinness and the like.
Obviously they will be using larger tanks but will know where to fill.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:40   #96

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I find it hard to believe that there's a harbor anywhere in the world that doesn't have a source of CO2 for its MIG welders.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:47   #97

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I find it hard to believe that there's a harbor anywhere in the world that doesn't have a source of CO2 for its MIG welders.
There may not be a MIG welder in every port. But I'll bet most have kegs of beer or ale that rely on it? I think this started with bug eggs in flower and rice. Now we are to the staples of life, beer and ale.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 14:55   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

If you can't get CO2, just get your partner to hold the bag of rice over their face and breath in and out until they pass out. Then quickly seal the bag.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:15   #99

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

https://youtu.be/c99TUiZdobQ. How to vacuum seal using plastic containers
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 17:32   #100

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If you can't get CO2, just get your partner to hold the bag of rice over their face and breath in and out until they pass out. Then quickly seal the bag.
sounds like you've done this before!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 18:02   #101

Boat: J/42

I'm not quite sure where all this thread leads to, but every school child knows that baking soda + vinegar ==> copious CO2. In fact, you can buy little foil packets that you just smash to mix the two, to generate CO2 and make a laboratory "brewer jar" anaerobic. (Probably some other acid in those, since vinegar is volatile and stinks.) But those are relatively expensive, being "medical supplies." There are various common chemicals that absorb oxygen at the same time, but most of them either stink or are difficult to preserve in a moist environment.

I am old enough to remember the "old school" way of doing it, which was just to seal a lit candle stub in the jar with your petri dishes. The candle used up all the oxygen and snuffed itself. Hopefully before anything cooked or burned. It usually worked.

At one time, I worked across the hallway from a facility that was used for experimental food irradiation. Basically, they would stack crates of apples (or whatever) around the target, then close the door and push a button. An elevator would lift a capsule of Cobalt-60 into the middle of the room. Lights flashed. Klaxons sounded. I think the door to that room had about the same amount of lead as my boat's keel. Theoretically, you might be able to design such a device into a keel... but I don't know if I would sleep on that boat.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 18:08   #102

Boat: J/42

details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-pak
Looks like they're going for about $6 a pop right now.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 19:44   #103

Simple dehydrated vacuum sealed potatoes. https://youtu.be/wkbgMcLaUak
Tomorrow I'm going to grate potatoes and dehydrate them in my solar oven
Old 09-05-2017, 20:18   #104

While I'm talking about dehydrating potatoes might as well go into to blanch or not to blanch. While blanching makes them look prettier not blanching is a lot easier and can even taste better according to this YouTuber. https://youtu.be/gGDw1F1cotI
Old 09-05-2017, 20:40   #105

And the argument for cooking them through before dehydrating. https://youtu.be/wbSZoYQJu0A

So tomorrow I'm going to cook them in my solar oven until they're fork-tender then grate and dehydrate

Tags
storage