Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 16:42   #211

Re: Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I was looking through my old threads and this one seems the most viewed thread I ever started.

Just in case people wonder what is really important..
A wish for you:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rum.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	208738  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:48   #212

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m no distiller, but it’s an art or taste to know when to cut the head and tail off, what backwoods distillers call it. Temp if you have an extremely accurate thermometer ought to be able to tell, but it’s still detectable by taste even when the temp says there is no more methanol, and whatever it is in the tail. The methanol comes first I’m sure, but something else comes at the end, and you catch the middle

There are several aspects to what makes good alcohol really good. Obviously the raw material quality is a big one. The type of yeast used to ferment is another big one that few talk about. Separation of the heads and tails in really good modern stills happens automatically as they condense at different temperatures and so condense on different plates inside the still and run down into separate tanks, if you ever get a chance to visit a good distillery ask if you can sample the pure hearts coming out of the still, even at 150 proof if it is good quality it will not burn. What makes the big difference is that most high production distillers will then take the heads and tails and run them through the still again and again trying to pull every last bit of yield from a batch. The best of the best discard those heads and tails outright, in reality they sell them to cosmetics and other chemical companies for use in other products. Not as profitable as converting it to alcohol for consumption but a good way to make an extra couple of bucks off a run. Another factor is how they then cut the hearts to bring them down to an ABV that they can bottle commercially. For very high quality aged spirits they barrel at full strength and are left to age for however long they decide to, that aging reduces ABV slowly over time as the alcohol slowly evaporates. Some will then add additional hearts to the barrel, some will add water, others and these are the ones that really cost big dollars, will let most of it evaporate away, usually leaving some pretty amazing stuff behind. Not many do the latter any more save for some of the high end scotch, bourbon, cognac, and armangac producers.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 22:05   #213

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I'll always be partial to Pusser's... I can drink it with Coke, Pepsi, Ginger Ale, Ginger Beer, Sprite, 7-Up, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice, etc.

Of course, the Painkiller is the best with Pusser's!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 05:02   #214
CLOD

Boat: none

I wouldn't really consider rum that i put into “mixers” as good rum. Good rum is drank neat of close to neat.
Old 16-02-2020, 06:00   #215

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wouldn't really consider rum that i put into “mixers” as good rum. Good rum is drank neat of close to neat.
...ditto for spiced rum.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 06:01   #216

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Finally getting to the end of this thread. Lots of good opinion.

My choices
Havana Club
Brugal Anejo
Flor de Cana 7 (this is my daily missing rum)

I have a few others of different types in the cupboard but not yet sampled. They were gifts. Will report later
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:12   #217
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

In smaller non commercial setups cuts and blending is the most difficult aspect of the operation. Everything else is a learned or documented procedure that takes years to see the good or bad results. Scientific.
Cuts are personal and so subtle. Choices or scoring one day are different the next after you let the angels have their way, like choosing a boat.
Typically don't share hearts as it's far too sophisticated for anyone without experience, waste of pearls.
Old 16-02-2020, 08:13   #218

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I think I overlooked posting this here:

On a recent trip to Guatemala I was in the Guate City airport to catch a flight at about 9AM. The Ron Zacapa store was already open and offering samples. Ive had yet to try the new Zacapa Centenario Negra and didnt want to shell out $75 for a bottle just to try it. Luckily they had samples. DAMN! This stuff is delicious. What a great way to start the day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	81Sm9JgHe-L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	208864
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 07:22   #219

Boat: Looking to buy

Don't want to revive and old thread, but certainly Old Havana is the rum I prefer, but rarely straight up, mostly mixed.
I prefer drinking straight up or on the rocks, Smirnoff that I previously added a vanilla bean for a month, while I wait a glass of Grant's or J&B does nicely, on the rocks.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 08:41   #220

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Bacardi 151 distilled in Bermuda; 75.5% alcohol by volume. Anyone for rum balls?

Mauritz

Man it has been a long time since I had a Rum ball. My wife makes a mean Bourbon ball!!
Old 28-04-2022, 16:19   #221

Boat: Looking to buy

Can't seem to be able to edit my post...so.

Don't want to revive and old thread, but certainly Havana Club is the rum I prefer, but rarely straight up, mostly mixed.
I prefer drinking straight up or on the rocks, Smirnoff that I previously added a vanilla bean for a month, while I wait a glass of Grant's or J&B does nicely, on the rocks.
(Whyte & Mackay appreciated a lot also, but can't find it around here no more)
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 14:41   #222

Boat: Catalac 12m

1 word: Bumbu
LLGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 15:51   #223

Boat: Catalina 34 MKII

Brugal 1888 from the Dominican Republic is my go to.
robbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:48   #224

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I think I overlooked posting this here:

On a recent trip to Guatemala I was in the Guate City airport to catch a flight at about 9AM. The Ron Zacapa store was already open and offering samples. Ive had yet to try the new Zacapa Centenario Negra and didnt want to shell out $75 for a bottle just to try it. Luckily they had samples. DAMN! This stuff is delicious. What a great way to start the day!

Attachment 208864
Sounds awesome. Haven't had the Edición Negra - but their 'regular' No. 23, is lovely and can be had on sale around these parts for mid to upper $30's. A lovely thing to sip with those stainless steel 'ice' cubes from the freezer.

Tho' I tend to close the day with that, rather than start it
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:52   #225

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLGJ View Post
1 word: Bumbu
Way too banana forward for me. Dislike it.

Ron Zacapa 23
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum