Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 14:22   #61

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Rum

I'm headed to Belize next month, I will definitely stop by and try a bit, see how it goes down.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:29   #62

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We prefer to drink G&T. We use dark rum to make those delicious rum cakes.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:33   #63

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Barrel proof, if I recall, is the proof of the whiskey or rum in the barrel--tyically between 60 and 65% alcohol. When it's bottled it is generally watered down a little to reduce the bottle proof to around 40--45% both for taste and to lessen the expense.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:56   #64

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I'm a bit partial to the Barbancourt 15 year old myself, but in reading this thread i find there are a many quality rums that I have yet to try. I knew there was a reason to keep fixing this *(&^%& boat. The quest continues!!!!!
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:19   #65
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Barrel proof, if I recall, is the proof of the whiskey or rum in the barrel--tyically between 60 and 65% alcohol. When it's bottled it is generally watered down a little to reduce the bottle proof to around 40--45% both for taste and to lessen the expense.
Especially the excise duty
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:38   #66

Boat: S2 35c

Ok having lived in Barbados the home of dark rum ( Mount Gay ) I have had my share of great rums , Pryate used to be from Anguila until they were bought by Patron been there drank that. Its a blend of bulk rum and flavors , It's a good flowery sipper . Flora de Cana is exceptional for the price . Mount Gay XO is still the baseline on which others are judged , An old rum is not always good, Mt Gays old master distiller told me 5 to 7 years is ideal casking for rum.

So whats the best ... Mount Gilboa hands down ,good luck finding it.

the worst , Jack Iron and Sunset.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:47   #67

Anything made of sugar cane juice....not the cheap stuff made of molasses and sugar they sell in the us....

for a crash course on the subject, read Rums of the eastern Caribbean's by edward hamilton.... it will change your life....
Old 07-02-2014, 16:55   #68

20 year Cruzan

Guavabbery
MTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 17:14   #69

I'm pretty fond of Bacardi 8 & Appleton Estates. Mt. Gay is now making a new version that is aged in whisky barrels. It's pretty tasty. Somebody gave me a glass of something called Atlantico (SP?) that was pretty darn good too. Plain old white Cruzan was pretty good when I was in the VI, but the version that I get closer to home just isn't the same.

I stay as far as possible away from one called J Wray & Nephew overproof. That stuff was nasty.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 17:20   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
It probably varies from distillery to distillery, or even from batch to batch, but I thought that barrel proof was usually a little higher than that. Bottle proof usually is 40% & is generally regulated very carefully. Here in the US, the manufactures pay their tax based on proof gallons & all of that is watched like a hawk.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 17:21   #71

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkajou View Post
Anything made of sugar cane juice....not the cheap stuff made of molasses and sugar they sell in the us....
Your talking about "rum agricole" (if its made in the french islands) or "cacacha" (if its made in Brazil). Real earthy and fresh tasting. I agree, with a little lime, sugar, and ice, nothing beats it!
Old 07-02-2014, 18:58   #72

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-K View Post
the worst , Jack Iron and Sunset.
jack iron. do you mean carriocou jack iron? wasn't that the rum that old west indies hand don street used to sing the praises of? always wanted to get my hands on some but heard it's hard to find outside of carriocou.

for a good all around rum it's hard to beat mt gay on the rocks, or neat if you haven't got the rocks. adding anything to rum, like spices, only detracts from the pleasure of it all....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 19:07   #73

Sounds like it is time for a few good run cake recipes. Preferably from people who have made it a bunch and swear they make the best. Show your kitchen pride!
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 20:20   #74

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

In two weeks there is a Rum Festival in Nassau.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:26   #75

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
In two weeks there is a Rum Festival in Nassau.

Unfortunately the Bacardi factory in Nassau (no one seems to call it a distillery) was shut down a few years ago. We used to get a bunch of cruisers together and go on a tour of the factory. All get aboard a bus (privately owned in Nassau) and the driver would take us to the factory non-stop. We'd arrange for him to come back at five to pick us up. On the tour they showed you the oak casks piled outside and they showed you the outside of the factory. For some reason we were never allowed actually in the factory to see what was going on. After the tour came the highlight of the visit- their hospitality center, an outdoor bar with all the Bacardi products and a small store that sold Bacardi products. We'd stay in the bar sampling everything till the bus came to pick us up at 5 pm.

Tags
rum