Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 08:02   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Safire cooker reviews and North America availability

Hi Folks,

I am looking to purchase a cooker/grill for open cockpit use. I made note of the Safire cooker that uses charcoal brickettes or a proprietary coconut husk fuel which is avilable in the UK. What are folks opinions on the use of solid fuel cookers over propane or other gas/compressed liquid fuels with regard to sefety and performance.
Does anyone have experience with the Safire system? Has anyone seen this available in the US?

Thanks,

Tom
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Safire cooker reviews and North America availability

Cobb GB

Seems very similar to the Cobb, which we use on board almost exclusively during the warmer months.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:20   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

+1 on the Cobb, although I don't own one and use a propane (Magma) grill. I had a dock neighbor a few years ago who had one, and I was impressed. It uses only a few charcoal briquettes so you don't have keep a lot of that messy fuel on board. Also the body of the cooker does not get hot so you can set it in the cockpit. No need for a rail mounting.
I like the convenience of propane, so I'll likely stick with it. If I were to give up on propane grills I would go with a Cobb - or a Safire if it is comparable.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:23   #4

A couple thoughts: Charcoal is messy on board & if the thing tips over on deck, it isn't going to be easy to put the briquettes out.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A couple thoughts: Charcoal is messy on board & if the thing tips over on deck, it isn't going to be easy to put the briquettes out.
I can't speak for the Safire but the Cobb is wide and low and is therefore unlikely to tip over. We obviously don't use it underway. It uses very little charcoal, which we extinguish, dry and use again if it hasn't all burnt. The benefits of keeping heat out of the boat in hot summer months make it worth carrying a hit charcoal.

I use the Cobb to bake bread, casserole, grill, roast, fry, stirfry and make pizzas. A very versatile bit of kit and the Safire looks as good. The Cobb does come in a propane version.
Old 10-05-2015, 17:06   #6

I really like the Cobb too but for flavor obviously charcoal is hard to beat. I worry about the dangers of charcoal too and normally would not use it cruising..I found a really great alternative that gives such a unique flavor though...I always grab a few coconut husks..put a handful in some foil and get it smoking on the propane grill...and bam! The safety of propane..the flavor that puts hickory in its place...INLAND :-)
sailboat chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 17:48   #7

Another vote for the Cobb. I have used it for about 8-9 years, very happy. Very versatile, for bread , roasts slow cooking , whatever. It is a cooker, rather than a charcoal grill, you can bbq chops, sausages, seafood etc. But it will not quick sear a prime steak....it just stews.

I use the proprietary fuel, compressed coconut husks, very clean, effective and efficient, but a little exe. Far more convenient than briquettes.

The Cobb makes a very effective smoker, hot or cool. I am now playing around with using it to dehydrate food.

Very suitable for onboard.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews