Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2020, 13:56   #1

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25
Saltwater in my freshwater tank D:

SOMEbody (yes me) unknowingly installed about 42 gallons of SALT water into my water tank">FRESH water tank. WHAT pray tell do I need to do to reverse the damage? The tank is 42 gal. monel. Thank you kindly in advance!
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:21   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Saltwater in my freshwater tank D:

Maybe overstating the obvious... pump it out for starters. Then fresh water rinse 2-3 times (fill, pump out). Do you have any filters on your fresh water system? If so, change those after the rinse.

May need to access the tank fill directly to extract ALL of the salt water if you don't think you can pump it out otherwise.
Old 16-06-2020, 14:35   #3

If I can get it all but maybe a gallon or two, or five out, do you think treating it with bleach might kill anything that would be harmful to drink?
Old 16-06-2020, 14:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You are going to have to tell us how this happened. Water in the diesel tank I can kind of understand and we see diesel in the water tank, but saltwater in the fresh water tank?

Bleach won't hurt, we do it every year to clean the tank and pipes etc. You don't need much btw.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 15:29   #5

The spigots at the marina are freshwater but not at the pump out station. I used the spigot at the pump out to fill my tank like a dummy.
Old 16-06-2020, 15:35   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourguitar View Post
The spigots at the marina are freshwater but not at the pump out station. I used the spigot at the pump out to fill my tank like a dummy.

Yuck.....even if they’re fresh water, there aren’t enough degrees of separation there for me to fill my portable tanks.

For your problem, just fill and drain several times. The chlorine in your municipal water supply should be enough. If your on well water, a capful of bleach should do the trick.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 15:43   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

In our area there are big signs saying to not use the hoses in the pump out area for anything but pump out activities. The water is from the normal drinking water supply, but I guess they don't want you putting poop covered hoses in the fill for your drinking water.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 21:05   #8

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Ah, come on people!

It’s water with a little bit of SALT in it! Just empty the tank and fill with fresh water. Seriously. If you’re a panicky germaphobe do as much as you want, but it’s salt water NOT POISON!
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 01:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Ah, come on people!

It’s water with a little bit of SALT in it! Just empty the tank and fill with fresh water. Seriously. If you’re a panicky germaphobe do as much as you want, but it’s salt water NOT POISON!
I echo Harmonie.

Was a little confused by everyone getting their knickers in a twist over a tank of saltwater. I mean... we swim in it.

If KillYourGuitar would like a great freshwater tank shock-treatment, I'm certain that Peggy Hall posted one on the Forum fairly recently, but one way a person would go about finding it would be to search all of her posts - which would be rather onerous.

Well, good luck either way... just be glad it wasn't diesel in your freshwater tank. From my perspective, that would have been FAR more catastrophic!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 03:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Ah, come on people!

Sorry- don’t want to be rude or flame you — BUT—— As someone who was a licensed water system operator, this is just bad advice.

There are many organisms in salt water that could cause issues, notably fecal coliform. Beyond the chlorine that should be in the tap water, adding a cap or two of bleach, and then draining the tank a day later is just prudent.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 04:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I echo Harmonie.

Was a little confused by everyone getting their knickers in a twist over a tank of saltwater. I mean... we swim in it.

If KillYourGuitar would like a great freshwater tank shock-treatment, I'm certain that Peggy Hall posted one on the Forum fairly recently, but one way a person would go about finding it would be to search all of her posts - which would be rather onerous.

Well, good luck either way... just be glad it wasn't diesel in your freshwater tank. From my perspective, that would have been FAR more catastrophic!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
What's wrong with a little diesel? It's good for ya!

I would put some bleach in the tank - but not because it is salt water but because it is seemingly marina water.

I make bread with straight salt water when were a few miles out to shore. It's tasty!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 10:09   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourguitar View Post
SOMEbody (yes me) unknowingly installed about 42 gallons of SALT water into my FRESH water tank. WHAT pray tell do I need to do to reverse the damage? The tank is 42 gal. monel. Thank you kindly in advance!
Pump it out and refill it with fresh water maybe a couple of times to taste.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 13:59   #13

yeah pretty obvious drain and flush it
capt.lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 15:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sorry- don’t want to be rude or flame you — BUT—— As someone who was a licensed water system operator, this is just bad advice.

There are many organisms in salt water that could cause issues, notably fecal coliform. Beyond the chlorine that should be in the tap water, adding a cap or two of bleach, and then draining the tank a day later is just prudent.
I stand corrected, KillYourGuitar! Despite his nap-inducing monniker, Snore is one of the sages on this Forum.

Follow his advice!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 17-06-2020, 15:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
What's wrong with a little diesel? It's good for ya!

I would put some bleach in the tank - but not because it is salt water but because it is seemingly marina water.

I make bread with straight salt water when were a few miles out to shore. It's tasty!
Hahaha!

Now if I could just develop a taste for diesel...!
LittleWing77

Tags
salt, water