Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 16:15   #16

Re: slow cooker

I lived at elevation for years - 8500 ft in Colorado. Have used pressure cookers since the late 1970s. I've been using electric pressure cookers for about 15 years and I like the convenience of set-and-forget. Instant Pot is more or less an electric pressure cooker and works well for me. I replaced a stove top pressure cooker and a crock pot with a 3 qt instant pot. On my boat, storage is limited and while a dedicated rice cooker would be great, I'm very happy with the trade-off. Just depends on how big your boat is and what your priorities are in the kitchen.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 17:00   #17

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: slow cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
not really. the instant pot is a poor pressure cooker... it takes 4 times as long to cook anything, 20min/lb of beef vs 5min as its pressure is much lower than the boring reliable old school kind, and while its an ok slow cooker.. its certainly not any good at rice etc so overall i find it massively overrated and hence a waste of space.
Agree. In my experience multi-function devices don't do anything well. The InstantPot is a great example. Like other electric pressure cookers it takes longer to come to pressure and doesn't reach 15 psi ("low pressure" on stovetop cookers). USDA has a list of things not deemed safe for electric cookers.

The darn thing resets on power fluctuations including switching from shore to inverter or inverter to generator or someone bumping into your shore power cord. Two circuit boards; the one behind the display can short out if you spill something going into or coming out of the pot and the one underneath will short if you spill something on the counter.

It's a mediocre slow cooker, taking something simple and making it complicated.

A pot is a better rice cooker. A pot is a better yogurt maker.

InstantPot is a poor solution desperately in search of a problem.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass