Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 18:13   #16

Re: Smelly Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
We had the stuffing box repacked prior to us purchasing the boat. It drips in the engine compartment like once every 10 seconds or so. We've been told it's supposed to drip. Hubs first Hunter did the same thing. I can't keep the area dry. Thoughts?

I have PSS so dry bilge.

If you aren't using the engine for a while maybe tie some cardboard up against the bottom of the engine. Try to detect the leak that way. Obviously don't forget get it there as I might. [emoji30]
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 19:31   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So far as adding it the bilge, I use the pine sol as a cleaner, then flush the bilge very well with fresh water. I think that just letting salt water sit in there long enough and it will develop a "boat smell". It a sort of gas like smell, if you have ever worked in the oil field, it's a little like that, just not as bad.
People will deny their boat smelling, but leave it a few days and then come back, likely you will notice a smell, not Diesel, just a smell.
I think it's like people that have cats, they think there is no smell as they are accustomed to it, but for someone that does not have cats, there is a smell.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 19:33   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A Diesel leak ought not be too hard to find, boat that age, I really suspect the flexible fuel lines, likely the return line as if the supply line leaks, it usually sucks air and causes loss of prime.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 20:21   #19

Boat: Colegate 26

Lots of comments to clean the engine - I wonder if Chris Fix's instructions for detailing a car engine bay (seems a bit extreme for this application) would apply to a boat engine? Soapy Wooder!

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 06:11   #20

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I feel your pain, as I have the same thing happening. The smell of oil and diesel is almost enough to make you sick.. I have aired the boat out for 1 year so far, and it is still very noticeable, and I assume it will not go away, I have no leaks, and no engine installed at the moment.

I would also suggest as others have, a good cleaning and scrubbing with a degreaser such as, Simple Green, Dove or the like, do this a couple of times, and then a couple of thorough rinses. Personally I will be painting all the bilges and cabinet interiors anyways, as they(bilges) have never been done in 49 years, so if you can imagine the smell.

A picture of my dirty/oily stinky bilges, we were removing the engine at the time...the bilge is a total mess and will get sorted out in time.
[IMG]Untitled by Scott Ehrich, on Flickr[/IMG]

Good luck to you, please post how it goes.....
Old 21-07-2017, 07:19   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

Fuel lines and the engine (fuel pump) are the first to check, but the tank on older boats needs a good look over and the hardest to fix.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 06:33   #22
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

We once had to evacuate a tiny harbor in the Bahamas because a boat that had a diesel leak in a high-pressure line burned to the waterline. Mists of diesel has spewed throughout the boat, saturating all the upholstery. The crew used all the fire extinguishers but then the fire would just pop up again. The whole boat burned like punk.
Old 23-07-2017, 07:45   #23

Boat: 88 36' Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
We once had to evacuate a tiny harbor in the Bahamas because a boat that had a diesel leak in a high-pressure line burned to the waterline. Mists of diesel has spewed throughout the boat, saturating all the upholstery. The crew used all the fire extinguishers but then the fire would just pop up again. The whole boat burned like punk.

That's definitely not the problem. Just had an old sailor tell us this is the smell of a 30 year old boat that probably had a leak at some point. He looked in our bilge and around our engine... he said no active leaks. The bilge is relatively clean but that's on my list after everything above the floor is cleaned.
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 08:22   #24

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I had a fuel leak in the engine compartment in the past, After repairing and washing and cleaning/flushing and wiping I used orange citrus cleaner sprayed in the bilges to cover up the smell. It cuts the diesel and has a nice orange smell. I think it's $12.00 a gallon at Wally World. Ventilation really helps also.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 08:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
I had a fuel leak in the engine compartment in the past, After repairing and washing and cleaning/flushing and wiping I used orange citrus cleaner sprayed in the bilges to cover up the smell. It cuts the diesel and has a nice orange smell. I think it's $12.00 a gallon at Wally World. Ventilation really helps also.

Today is bleach and Dawn day. Tomorrow is painting and Bilgekote day. Then I will go down over the bilge areas with some Citrus Cleaner. Sadly, I think the smell is in every wood piece in the boat. I'm hoping some Murphys and lemon oil help it. If nothing else, I know the damn boat is clean. [emoji19]
Old 23-07-2017, 11:15   #26

Boat: PDQ 36

Good luck, I can't stay on a boat that is reeks of diesel. I hate that smell. I hope you get it all out of the boat or as much as possible.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 11:19   #27

I would find the problem and fix it fast. You don’t want to go sailing, heel over and get diesel into the wood structure under the floor. You may never get that smell completely out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 11:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would find the problem and fix it fast. You don’t want to go sailing, heel over and get diesel into the wood structure under the floor. You may never get that smell completely out.

No leaks. Guy said probably was once upon a time. In the wood. Just going to keep cleaning and cleaning. We will see. It may never come out all the way but I am going to give it everything I got! Lol
Old 23-07-2017, 14:19   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
No leaks. Guy said probably was once upon a time. In the wood. Just going to keep cleaning and cleaning. We will see. It may never come out all the way but I am going to give it everything I got! Lol
You might try spraying the areas with Sniper, it does a good job on a wide range of unwanted odours. Plenty of online seller's including Amazon
SNiPER® - the Ideal Biocide - kill mold, mildew and remove mold, mildew smell | Global Environmental Restoration, Inc.
Old 23-07-2017, 14:41   #30

If not already employed you might try this for your packing gland:

https://www.emarineinc.com/categorie...-Shaft-Packing

Seems to be able to tolerate little to no leakage without overheating as regular flax might. No water is ideal. When some shows up you know there is a problem...

Quote:
We had the stuffing box repacked prior to us purchasing the boat. It drips in the engine compartment like once every 10 seconds or so. We've been told it's supposed to drip. Hubs first Hunter did the same thing. I can't keep the area dry. Thoughts?
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat