Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2020, 09:53   #1

Spares and misc? - PRIOR to boat purchase

Hello-

I am about 3 years away from purchasing a 40' - 44' catamaran. Would like to start purchasing some boat spares and misc items that I may need now, just so spread the costs out. I have tools, and even tools for tools so all good on that. Also have plenty of electrical connectors, heat shrink, and 2 conductor wire. Was thinking of stocking up on SS hardware, bilge pumps, inline water pumps (at sink, heads, etc), and 12V fans. What else could be purchased as spares prior to purchasing the boat? Thanks
Austin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:02   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Spares and misc? - PRIOR to boat purchase

Save the money you would spend on these items in an interest bearing account so you will have it when you need it. The boat comes first. You will find that your choice of spares and miscellaneous items will be dictated by the physical characteristics and needs of the specific boat you eventually purchase. You are putting the cart before the horse.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:23   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Three year old spares will be rusted or fail when you go to use them and be out of warranty. Just make a list now, buy 30 days before you depart
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:30   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

A lot of times the boat you buy unless brand new will be loaded with spares already, so you may be doubling up, even on generic spares.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:36   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

USCG may even change requirements in three years so that any lifejackets you buy now will be obsolete too. Save money now and find the boat first.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:45   #6

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

You certainly sound keen to spend money. Don't worry; there will be plenty of opportunity soon enough.

As others have said, hold off until you purchase the boat. Often items have to be a particular size to make the most of the tight spaces in a boat. The boat you buy may even come with a good selection of spares.

The only thing I'd consider might be bargains at clearance sales for consumables such as assorted stainless steel nuts, bolts and screws etc.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:48   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Spend that money on a small sailboat and improve your sailing skills unless you already have a boat and tons of experience.

Or buy your spare parts because some sailors/cruisers would rather fix something on their boat than actually sail it.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 15:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
You certainly sound keen to spend money. Don't worry; there will be plenty of opportunity soon enough.

As others have said, hold off until you purchase the boat. Often items have to be a particular size to make the most of the tight spaces in a boat. The boat you buy may even come with a good selection of spares.

The only thing I'd consider might be bargains at clearance sales for consumables such as assorted stainless steel nuts, bolts and screws etc.
Basic tools are probably safe enough, too, if someone wants to stalk sales.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 18:28   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Murphy says that whatever you spend your money on now, the seller will already have and leave on the boat. Whatever you actually need will not be among the things you pre-buy
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 19:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Murphy says that whatever you spend your money on now, the seller will already have and leave on the boat. Whatever you actually need will not be among the things you pre-buy

Damn Murphy is always following me around.
Old 27-08-2020, 19:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Save the money you would spend on these items in an interest bearing account so you will have it when you need it. The boat comes first. You will find that your choice of spares and miscellaneous items will be dictated by the physical characteristics and needs of the specific boat you eventually purchase. You are putting the cart before the horse.

I wouldn't come to a forum for financial advise, nor did I ask for it. Thanks for the response but if you can't provide an answer to the question, no need to respond.
Old 27-08-2020, 19:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post

Keen is the key word, looking to purchase items at clearance / surplus prices when available, as opposed to being in another country and paying 3X+.
Old 27-08-2020, 21:19   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
I wouldn't come to a forum for financial advise, nor did I ask for it. Thanks for the response but if you can't provide an answer to the question, no need to respond.
“Originally Posted by Orion Jim
Save the money you would spend on these items in an interest bearing account so you will have it when you need it. The boat comes first. You will find that your choice of spares and miscellaneous items will be dictated by the physical characteristics and needs of the specific boat you eventually purchase. You are putting the cart before the horse.”

I regret you failed to see a legitimate and honest response to your question in this reply. Good luck.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 17:25   #14

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Austin,

I like to look out for the miscellaneous boat parts that people sell by the box load.

Just a few months ago, I paid $30 for a few boxes of boat bits full of all sorts of odds and ends. A lot of it I just turned around and sold for a profit.

He was a retired cruiser who did not want the hassle of selling them individually and just wanted the lot cleared out.

These opportunities come up quite often in my local Craigslist classifieds, although here most people are trending towards the Facebook selling platform.

More often than not, the boat will come with loads of spares but not always. I didn’t have that pleasure when I bought my Samson.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 17:29   #15

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Spend that money on a small sailboat and improve your sailing skills unless you already have a boat and tons of experience.

Or buy your spare parts because some sailors/cruisers would rather fix something on their boat than actually sail it.
Or both ^. We enjoy sailing and fixing.

There’s nothing wrong with that.

My first boat needed so many repairs... these repairs lead to experience and knowledge, and make me a lot more comfortable in the blue in case anything does go wrong.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchase