Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2009, 19:54   #16

Boat: Tashiba 36
Last year at the Strictly Sail show in Chicago, a fellow was demonstrating a marine cooker. It looked like the the Fagor model cited previously in this thread. He fried some chicken wings and french fries as part of the demo. I have to say, they were fantastic. Especially the french fries. Well cooked and not greasy.

I was very impressed but put off somewhat by the cost. They are much more expensive than the standard Faqor household style. We ended up purchasing a set of stacking pans with removeable handles at the show and put the pressure cooker on the future purchase list.

When we got home we did a lot of internet research and could not find any "household style" pressure cooker that was recommended for pressure frying. In fact most warn against it.
sparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 23:43   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I've had a Sears 6 qt. for years and it is hanging in there. I wish I could find a 4 qt.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 06:05   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See “Miss Vickie's Guide To Modern Pressure Cookery” at:
Miss Vickie's Guide to Modern Pressure Cookery

Specifically “What You Need to Know about Pressure Frying”
howto Section

“... If you want to do pressure frying then buy a pressure fryer. Fagor makes a pressure fryer, and so does Magefesa. Read carefully, because each of these manufacturers make several different models, but only one that is made for pressure frying. Pressure fryers have an additional safety feature consisting of a heavy duty metal bar that clamps and locks over the top of the lid in case of an accident. Pressure fryers also cook at a lower pressure than pressure cookers.“

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 12:16   #19

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 - Seaventure
And here’s another vote for the Lagostina brand. This is a picture of the one we have: http://www.amazon.com/Lagostina-Brava-Stainless-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0002J7KH0 . My husband loves how the lid works, which is different from what you usually see.
Seaventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 12:43   #20

Boat: 48' Hi Star
I have the WMF 6 1/2 quart pressure cooker like this:

Amazon.com: WMF Perfect Plus 6-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker: Home & Garden

I absolutely love it. I got in on Ebay for less than half price, $80.00 including shipping if I remember. It was a "return" because it had a few scratches on the lid, but had never been used. I couldn't even see any scratches. Anyway -- Highly recommended.

get a good book or two on pressure cooking recipes like this one by Lorna Sass, or any of the books
Amazon.com: Pressure Perfect: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker: Lorna J. Sass: Books

Happy cooking
Old 27-10-2009, 17:49   #21

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Pressure Cooker that goes to the standard 15psi

Not interested in Pressure Frying and want a Pressure Cooker that goes to the standard 15psi. I'm thinking 7quart? I will be at sea (salt water environment). I know NOTHING about cooking but will learn.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 18:01   #22

Boat: islandpacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Not interested in Pressure Frying and want a Pressure Cooker that goes to the standard 15psi. I'm thinking 7quart? I will be at sea (salt water environment). I know NOTHING about cooking but will learn.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Extemp.
found this and cook books also Amazon.com: Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker: Kitchen & Dining
Old 27-10-2009, 18:13   #23

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Lagostina is one of the best.
Not too many things come with a 25 year warranty. They aren't indestructible, but are probably as close as you'll ever get.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 14:42   #24

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Small pressure cookers

I have this one: Seb - Auto Cuiseur - P0531100 - Authentique 8L: Amazon.fr: Cuisine & Maison

Mine is 8 liters, perfect for a crew of 4-5. It came with the boat. The smallest size is 4.5 liters.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote