Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 18:45   #1

Boat: prairie32 cutter
Storing Flour and Cornmeal

To you cruisers in the tropics. what is the best way of keeping flour and cornmeal fresh and the insects out. I have 2 large copper lined bins with sealed lids where I store my coffee and rice. Is this adequate ?
Old 17-02-2012, 19:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37
Re: storing flour and cornmeal

We use large rubbermaid type containers - then my flour & cornmeal are in baggies inside the containers - the containers always have bay leaves inside. I have no idea if it's right or not, but we survived six years in the Western Caribbean, all the way down to Columbia, with no bugs.

Keep in mind, it depends on where you buy the flour and cornmeal too -- if there's already "extra protein" in it when you buy it, there's no way to keep it out.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:13   #3

Thanks for the info and the pics. I now remember that bay leaves help to keep the (xtra protein) at bay. I buy in bulk so the separate containers make since as well.
Old 17-02-2012, 19:35   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We vacume bag all our flour and cornmeal in small amounts 1 to2 lbs in a package then store in jugs as shown above we put the bayleaves in both ! been in hot and cold never a bug yet ! and we use Indian rice and its bad for weaviles ! just a thought Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:47   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The extra protein is in all flour... the question is if it is still alive or not...

We put each pack of flour in it's own ziplock bag and then in the freezer for 2 weeks. From there into dry storage in the same ziplock bags. Never a problem.

We did the bay leaves too until we found it only helps to a certain level. We still add bay leaves but know it is the freezing that makes the difference.

Also: never open a pack of flour by undoing the glued top of the pack. It is the glue where a lot of the problems are. Take a knife and slit it open right near the top instead.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:03   #6

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
the question is if it is still alive or not...
After you bake the little suckers with whatever you are making, they won't be. And they help round the diet out.
Old 17-02-2012, 20:20   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Gotta have protein, too many carbs!
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 21:43   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yea guys them bugs are protein, BUT it sorta depends how many there are !! a few maybe but my Better half draws the line at raisen looking biscuits LOL Connies a little old fasion that way she wont let me eat my water soaked hardtack anymore cus she saw the weivils in it LOL just kiddin Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:18   #9

Thanks for all the great information. All good ideas im thinking. Never Had any issues up in Alaska. Too cold for critters.Been thinking about a small vacume packer for the boat anyway.
Cheers
Old 17-02-2012, 22:22   #10

I worry though about all the plastic vacume packing creates. I hate the stuff but you have to use it.
Old 19-02-2012, 08:18   #11

What about vacuum pack canisters? That way you just use the same ones over each time you restock.
rattleshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:27   #12

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Before stowing it, I put it in the freezer overnight or nuke it for 5 minutes. Doing so kills all the critters before they hatch. Then I store it in airtight containers.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05   #13

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Storing Flour and Cornmeal

I vacuum seal entire bags of flour or cornmeal. Vacuum sealing does no harm to bread flour or cake flour, but causes all-purpose flour to clump. The flours will keep bug free for a very long time. I recently opened the last bag of bread flour that was purchased in Panama in early 2008 and it is still just fine. Normally I would not keep something that long but this bag got overlooked in the bottom of a deep storage locker. For all-purpose flour, I stop the vacuum process before the bag is completely sucked tight. This causes a looser bag but keeps the flour quite well.

I keep a large Lock'n'Lock canister for opened all-purpose flour and another one for bread flour. And a smaller one for corn meal. Never had a bug problem.

When sealing the entire bags of flour, I use the large rolls of plastic and cut to length desired. Make the bag a foot or more longer than originally needed to hold a large bag of flour. When you remove that bag of flour save the plastic bag and re-use it. By making the original plastic bag much longer than needed you can re-use it several times. In the long run it saves a LOT on the amount of plastic wasted. You can re-use the vacuum seal plastic bags as long as you have not stored meat or cheese. Those must be discarded.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:16   #14

Boat: Lagoon 440

A 'bay leaf' in any flour or grain will stop insects/larvae forming.......

Cheers
Old 02-03-2012, 04:17   #15

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Dont overlook those 2 lt plastic pop bottles (Coke etc) You funnel it in and screw the cap on. No bags to discard. Bang it around a bit if it clumps up. If you do get a protein enhancement, choose the lesser of two weevils and use the microwave to energize them to the surface and then spoon them out. BTW bread that is baked from "populated" flour raises better.