Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 17:23   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Tell me About These Kerosene Burners

I have a stove that had the kero. burners like yours and then the company had an epifany and sold a alcohol conversion kit...I still have the manual if you would like to look it over...tells how to convert it to " safer alcohol..very simple and they say it is safer...pm if interested in a copy of the manual..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 18:38   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Base Camp in the UK will send kero burner parts to the US. Last year they were trying to get some Indian make burners, but I suspect that project did not turn out, I had ordered two but they never arrived.

St. Brendan's Isle, the mail forwarding folks, will sell you replacement kero burners straight from Taylor.

But there are still many around for sale. Someone turned me onto "www.allofcraigs.com" and there are several stoves and burners for sale there.

I have a lifetime of spares, but I'm pretty old, so stay in touch with my Wife.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:06   #33

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Have a look at this we have one Brilliant.
ecsmith.co.uk/origo 3000
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 10:45   #34

We lived with kerosene stoves for 4 years on two different boats and found them very practical. I only had burner problems when the boat was in storage,(the burners rusted up when not used). The burners in the earlier photos look a lot like an old Coleman white gas camp stove I have. Priming a kerosene stove is easy if you use Tilley Wicks. They are a small wick that is built like a wire clothes pin to go around the base of the burner with just the right amount of alcohol. I found that the priming cups made the Tilley Wicks hard to use so I removed the priming cups and life was easy. I kept the Tilley Wicks in a small bottle of alcohol, away from the stove, and if the burner didnt light on the first attempt I waited a while to make sure the wick was cool before dipping it back in the alcohol. Really , the only time the burner didnt light was if I or the wife got distracted and let the burner cool too much before lighting. Never had soot problems or any detectable smell. Tilley is an old English company that I assume is still around. They were only about a dollar each when I bought them in the seventies, so I bought 6 or 8 which was good since they would go bad after 10 or 12 months of use. NOW! after all I have said, my next boat had a propane stove and it was love at first light. Old dogs can learn new tricks.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 17:39   #35

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Hi I lived with Kero stove and oven for 3 years full time in the 80's cruising remote parts of PNg and Solomons. I could always get kero & metho. Propane was just not available back then. I rarely had acproblem with the burners, as mentioned by others, the trick was in the pre-heating. The kero flame is very hot and easy to cook with. Having said that though, next boat will definitely be gas.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 22:01   #36

I just googled Tilley storm lanterns and found that the wicks are called Pre heating torches. Boy have they gone up in price since i bought them last. I dont know how to post a link, but if you look for the lamp accessories you will find them. If you have a kerosene stove I think an extra 25 or 30 dollars a year to make your 2 or 3 times a day stove lighting a little easier is still a bargain.___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 06:12   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I just googled Tilley storm lanterns ...
Tilley Lamp - Home of the Paraffin Pressure Lamp - Tilley Lamps

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 16:03   #38

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

We have used a three burner plus oven kero stove for over 20 yrs. I have serviced it twice in that time. Very happy with the performance. The key is in sufficient preheat time.
If your burner tubes carbon up, try a piece of thin stainless rope, frayed at the end, and rotated against the lay in a battery drill - insert from the bottom of the dismantled burner. Cleans the insides nicely.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote