Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18   #181

One word Vegimite!!! Aussie Aussie Aussie......
Chickenlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31   #182

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Simple inventory:

Bread, peanut butter, jelly, mustard rice, spag pasta, elbow macaroni, cheese, sausage, onion, garlic, canned and frozen veggies, tomato paste, dried spag sauce mix. olive oil, dried mushrooms, basalmic vinegar, apples, granola bars, coffee. Spices.

Using only these ingredients I can make:

Coffee
Granola bars for breakfast, with lunch or as a snack.
PB sandwiches.
Meat and cheese sandwiches. (could include lettuce, also oil and vinegar)
bread and spiced olive oil appetizer (hopefully with wine)
Apples with lunch or as evening snack
Spaghetti with meat sauce, onion, mushrooms and garlic.
Thai peanut sauce with meat, onion and veggies thrown over either rice or pasta
Stir fried veggies and onion over rice
Mac and cheese with veggies and possibly meat (or lobster)
Cajun rice jumbali with rice, tomato sauce, veggies and hopefully lobster
Lettuce salad - could add veggies, cheese - with oil and vigarette

Note, most of these foods require no refrigeration.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05   #183

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
You can try this one:

Homemade Yogurt Recipe | Hillbilly Housewife
Old 05-07-2010, 09:12   #184
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Chapatti Bread

Aww - I love Hillbilly Housewife - she is sooo cool, makes me wanna be a Hillbilly, almost!

So, my step-daughter and I tried making chapatti for the first time today, to mop up a leftover curry. It was soo easy!! I cup white flour, 1 cup wholemeal flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 3/4 cup water.

Mix, divide into 12 balls, leave for an hour (this is what makes them soft), roll, then fry really quickly. They were amazing!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06   #185

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
You could pick up fresh produce at your stops and dehydrate them. Then all you have to do is seal them away from moisture to keep them fresh. Use a air tight container or I like the vacumn packing system for that.

Hanging Food Dehydrator - Food Pantrie

Then you could cook on deck with the solar oven you have made

Plans for Solar Cookers -- The Solar Cooking Archive
Don't forget your vitamin supplements
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 16:59   #186
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

This little voice kept telling me "Palm oil, bad!" and while I had it confused with hydrogenated things, the US Dept. of Agriculture, who occassionally have the right information about foods, say: "Palm oil is not a healthy substitute for trans fat."

Palm Oil Not a Healthy Substitute for Trans Fats / April 15, 2009 / News from the USDA Agricultural Research Service

Nutella still will be on my no-buy list. I'm sure the odd spoonful won't kill me, but I really try to pass on anything that 'would result in similar unfavorable levels of LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B (a protein, attached to fat particles, that carries bad cholesterol throughout the bloodstream). That's when compared to consuming either of the diets enriched with canola and soybean oils high"

I wonder if I take a healthier nut butter and add in cocoa or chocolate powder....
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:51   #187

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Poutine is great after a pubcrawl (though pizza is far better), but cuisine it ain't!
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:55   #188

Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
This little voice kept telling me "Palm oil, bad!" and while I had it confused with hydrogenated things, the US Dept. of Agriculture, who occassionally have the right information about foods, say: "Palm oil is not a healthy substitute for trans fat."

Palm Oil Not a Healthy Substitute for Trans Fats / April 15, 2009 / News from the USDA Agricultural Research Service

Nutella still will be on my no-buy list. I'm sure the odd spoonful won't kill me, but I really try to pass on anything that 'would result in similar unfavorable levels of LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B (a protein, attached to fat particles, that carries bad cholesterol throughout the bloodstream). That's when compared to consuming either of the diets enriched with canola and soybean oils high"

I wonder if I take a healthier nut butter and add in cocoa or chocolate powder....
While it's not cheap, there is a Nutella alternative for the diehards, particularly if they also happen to be fond of dark chocolate. The organic feed store we frequent also has organic dark chocolate & hazelnut spread that contains no hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated/modified oils. It blows my mind to see Nutella commercials hyping it as a "healthy" breakfast food for kids. This other stuff still has sugar in it (organic cane), but is still better for you healthwise.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

You know, we picked up the most amazing truffles a while back, and they were basically made with coconut oil (virgin unrefined is best) and cocoa. Coconut oil is amazingly good for you, and very tasty.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47   #190

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
What about an EasiYo? Cheap to buy NZ$30 (US$20). From what I have been told, no need to source fresh yogurt culture to start a batch or boiling up milk to specific temperatures. There is a wide variety of flavours sold in powdered form to use plain, greek, flavoured etc etc. And as these are powdered they are light and easy to stow long term. Not sure but I believe no refridgeration required for them that do not have that option onboard.

I am planning to buy one for our cruise...anyone currently used one?
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:33   #191
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
What about an EasiYo?

I am planning to buy one for our cruise...anyone currently used one?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! SENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!

We brought the city supplies of Greek style (NOT the low fat) and it is utterly terrific! We bought about 50 sachets.

All the flaovoured ones were sugary and crap. The Greek one is perfect and you can add fruit, honey, anything. Plus we add Dill and have as a dip with crackers. (or Dill and Garlic Mmmmmmm)

the only problem is we haven't been able to buy the powder since.

I understand its available in England.

The idea of using some ofd the previous culture and milk poweder is workable but isn't the same. Similarly we gave up useing only half a sachet with added milk powder.

You just have to take the full supplies from home! Buy plenty.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38   #192

GREAT thanks Mark that was a resounding YES for EasiYo from you guys

Yeah I was thinking on the Greek style (low fat - sorry shhhhh don't tell Kevin) for the reasons you mentioned. Thought it would be the way to go.

There is so much you can do with yoghurt to hand to make a tasty meal!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:54   #193

esy yo

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've had an esy yo for years here in oz, but I was wondering if you can get the powder in the states or do I have to take a stack of it with me? As it's name says it's soooo easy. Yep greek mix is the way to go...you can also get an ice cream mix for it , if you have a freezer onboard.

Hungry now!

J
Old 11-07-2010, 04:00   #194

esy yo

Yep you can get it anywhere by the look of things...here is the site for the states, but it is much cheeper in any supermarket in australia...the maker here is about 18-20 $. Mix about $3 me s think.

Phase One Trading Group, Inc.

J
Old 11-07-2010, 04:06   #195

Oh MY GAWD.....ice cream are you SERIOUS.....I am so off to buy one of those darn things pronto.

>>>>>fades into distance muttering about the possibilities of ice cream whilst on the boat...oh my gawd did I say Oh my gawd I am soooooooooooo pleased I read this thread