Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 17:08   #31

Boat: Graham Radford 415
Re: The Three Best Cookbooks for Travelling with a Small Galley !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
This is what I hope to do as well. I have 6 cook books and 2 3-ring binders filled with recipes I use. I would love to reduce this load by putting them all on a computer. It would be great to get a tablet that could be used as I cook. I would have to get used to browsing on a computer instead of flipping through pages (I'm old fashioned, I guess!) Guess this is my summer vacation goal!
I was in the same boat....... as you and didn't think I could get used to using a screen instead of a good ol' cookbook but it's surprisingly an easy jump, for me at least!

I copy and paste the recipes into my own documents which works great. I usually like to tweak the recipes I'm following (don't we all?) so this way I can just change whatever I like or add little notes to remind me!
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles

I was in the same boat....... as you and didn't think I could get used to using a screen instead of a good ol' cookbook but it's surprisingly an easy jump, for me at least!

I copy and paste the recipes into my own documents which works great. I usually like to tweak the recipes I'm following (don't we all?) so this way I can just change whatever I like or add little notes to remind me!
I am going to start by trying to convert them to Adobe by scanning them. Don't know if it will work but it sounds easier than typing each one!! I tweak even my own recipes to spice it up.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 21:06   #33

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
In fact it is so easy to get used to screens I had a moment of panic the other day, thinking I'd broken my cookbook because it wouldn't turn the page when I tapped it. Panic subsided when I realized I had been repeatedly but futilely prodding the page of a paper cookbook and not my iPad.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41   #34

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtdaemon
In fact it is so easy to get used to screens I had a moment of panic the other day, thinking I'd broken my cookbook because it wouldn't turn the page when I tapped it. Panic subsided when I realized I had been repeatedly but futilely prodding the page of a paper cookbook and not my iPad.
That is really funny. I see my wife doing the same thing when she picks up the net book instead of our iPad.

Wrinklesinoursails.Blogspot.Com

Mike
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38   #35

I have been something of a Food Network addict for the past few years. Their Ipad and Iphone app allows you to select your favorite recipes and store them in a virtual "recipe box". With the app you have all the recipes from the Food Network at your fingertips.
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:29   #36

Boat: Bayfield 29

I remember back at the dawn of the PC era when a new IBM PC cost several thousand dollars, one of the most common questions was "yeah that's nice; but, what can you do with it?"

Invariably among the very short list of answers was "you can store your recipes in it!"

I guess, finally, decades later, that that is now a practical and legitimate use for technology.

(FWIW, I buy very few dead tree books anymore...I've been known to pay a premium for a book just so it will live on my Kindle instead of the bookcase).
Godot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 21:09   #37

Boat: Alberg 30

Fear of Frying. Written while the author was a liveaboard on a small sailboat near Vancoouver. James Beard, I think.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 00:24   #38

Boat: GibSea 402

I use an App called Paprika which in my opinion works well. Its easy to web browse and then save a recipe in a standard format and if it won't save you can cut and paste. I use it with an iPad
pwhitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 00:39   #39
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use an app called Sparkpeople. It's a healthy living site, which provides all sorts of services, such as tracking your food intake and nutrition, tracks exercise, provides articles and a forum.

It has a huge bank of recipes, since members upload their own to use in their tracking, so their may be a hundred versions of spag bol. But once you've selected the one you like most, it goes in one of your own cookbooks. It can be accessed both thru website and the app
SaucySailoress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 00:45   #40

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

It was James Barber,
I used to watch his cooking show "The Urban Peasant" he had a pleasing way of making recipes simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Fear of Frying. Written while the author was a liveaboard on a small sailboat near Vancoouver. James Beard, I think.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:10   #41

Boat: 1990 Marine Trader Dbl Cabin 38
I got rid of my cookbooks when I moved aboard. But first I scanned all of my favorite recipes. I was surprised that when I got into it, most cookbooks only had one or two recipes that I really liked. Now everything is on my iPad and it works great.
S/R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49   #42

I still have cookbooks and notebooks with my favorites or those I want to try. I agree i don't use many recipes out of the cookbooks but I keep them for ideas or some basic reminders.

I hope to put the ones I use on a computer too. I am working tot enter them in an app called My Recipe which lets you enter them by category and have separate areas for ingredients and directions. I want to have family recipes available to my kids- besides those scribbled on a index card (although love the written too).
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i will pluck a page from a magazine and keep it until it turns yellow and falls apart and still not write down the recipe on that page to somewhere it will save--but i have many kinds of recipes in my brain--used and remembered--some rare some not-and i used to have a copy of keep it simple s(______) cookbook--i left it with the man with whom i sailed the gulf of mexico.
i use recipes spoken to me by locals and i use that which i was taught by other cultures in cooking-- works out quite well. i dont have to stow a cook book and i make good foods....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05   #44

Boat: Picaroon - 40' Hardin Sea Wolf Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to heatherbrie

I see that others have already recommended most of my favorites: Joy of Cooking (a must), Lorna Sass Pressure Perfect and Spice Necklace, a great read with fantastic recipes for the Caribbean. I also use a vegan cookbook, Veganomicon, all the time -- while I'm not a vegan, it's fantastic for when eggs, meat, dairy or other specific ingredients are hard to find.

If you want some fun recipes, I have a section on our blog, too!

Grub | Picaroon Blog
Old 12-08-2012, 12:31   #45

I gotta go with Mark Bittman's How to cook everything.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote