Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 06:01   #1

Thermomix or hotmixpro for food prep

I have been eyeing one of these for sometime when it suddenly dawned - this might be good to have aboard for when we go cruising. What do you think? Does anyone have one? I figure that if I am to give up my whole equipped kitchen for a small boat galley, I may as well be happy doing what I love best - cooking ☺️
HotmixPRO Creative - the Professional Thermal Mixer that Cooks/Freezes
Nadineon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Thermomix or hotmixpro for food prep

I have friends who use the Thermomix ashore and love it. I looked into whether it would be feasible for us on board but decided that too much power was required, I'm not willing to run the generator to use an appliance that has non or lower powered alternatives.
Old 20-05-2015, 07:46   #3

Boat: islandpacket

Its your boat. Use what you want. Just figure out power conciderations.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-05-2015, 08:18   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadineon31 View Post
I have been eyeing one of these for sometime when it suddenly dawned - this might be good to have aboard for when we go cruising. What do you think? Does anyone have one? I figure that if I am to give up my whole equipped kitchen for a small boat galley, I may as well be happy doing what I love best - cooking ☺️
HotmixPRO Creative - the Professional Thermal Mixer that Cooks/Freezes
We love cooking aboard. You quickly get used to the smallness and now we prefer it to big land kitchens.

Baking is a challenge but if my granddad could do it while fighting in the jungles of New Guinea in WW2 then we can just suck it up.

Bottled gas is so efficient. We have also moved almost exclusively to 12V.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadineon31 View Post
I figure that if I am to give up my whole equipped kitchen for a small boat galley, I may as well be happy doing what I love best - cooking
Throwing in ingredients and pressing buttons for everything to be done automatically in my opinion is not indulging in a love of cooking but a love of eating .

Thermomixes were not around when I was still living on land, but for convenience while I was still working full time, I think one would have appealed. Now I have the time to indulge in "slow food". There is such pleasure in chopping or grating or crushing or grinding or whisking or kneading things by hand, seeing produce transform, having the fragrance waft up, meanwhile pausing to look out the window at the stunning water views. I would not opt for a thermomix on board even if I had the power.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:48   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Thermomixs are expensive but very well made and very practical for many dishes: they weigh, chop and cook. I have had one for years and recently bought a second-hand one to use at the beach house and the boat.

I find them particularly useful for more wintry dishes such as soups and vegetable creams. In the summer I mainly use it for gazpacho.

Unfortunately I have an electric cooker on the boat so to prepare the meals I need to run the genny anyway. If I had gas cooking on the boat I don't think I would take the Thermomix on board and have to run the genny just to use it.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 11:22   #7

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Throwing in ingredients and pressing buttons for everything to be done automatically in my opinion is not indulging in a love of cooking but a love of eating .

Thermomixes were not around when I was still living on land, but for convenience while I was still working full time, I think one would have appealed. Now I have the time to indulge in "slow food". There is such pleasure in chopping or grating or crushing or grinding or whisking or kneading things by hand, seeing produce transform, having the fragrance waft up, meanwhile pausing to look out the window at the stunning water views. I would not opt for a thermomix on board even if I had the power.

SWL
Ditto for me!! I love the whole process of cooking, as Seaworthy has expressed.
Old 21-05-2015, 12:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

SWL
Wash your mind out! Thermomix is not about fast. YES.. it takes the tedium from a lot of prep but.......... its about the smoothest, silkiest soups, the best sauces, the best gravies, the most accurate blend and mostly........... great food of a type. A lot of types actually.

Most Spanish homes have a thermomix........... my local cafe place has three. If you need a blender or a food processor or one big pot to make something....... then why not have this baby?

Nothing wrong with home made from scratch........... I do it a lot, and I use the Thermomix for the final product..........

Its a cooker with a little extra.

(But its ok if you dont get one.......... I would still eat your product)

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 22:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Wash your mind out! Thermomix is not about fast. YES.. it takes the tedium from a lot of prep but.......... its about the smoothest, silkiest soups, the best sauces, the best gravies, the most accurate blend and mostly........... great food of a type. A lot of types actually.

Most Spanish homes have a thermomix........... my local cafe place has three. If you need a blender or a food processor or one big pot to make something....... then why not have this baby?
'Swat I said . A love of eating, not a love of cooking.

It is just like painting by numbers .

SWL

Old 21-05-2015, 23:25   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
'Swat I said . A love of eating, not a love of cooking.

It is just like painting by numbers .

SWL
Naah............ You can mix cement by hand but when you have 30K bricks to lay you get a cement mixer.......... Makes for a better finish and still takes an expert to make the brickwork placement good.

Machines were invented to make the process more accurate and consistent, not to take away the knowledge or love of cooking........ When I was a kid, I would have to beat a gallon of whipping cream into thick cream every other day at my mothers hotel....... the head chef made me do it by hand for a while until I could do it and then he allowed me to use the big mixer......

A Thermomix does not take away from cooking. It still requires knowledge and ability.

Look up Luddites in Wiki.........

Old 22-05-2015, 00:31   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Naah............ You can mix cement by hand but when you have 30K bricks to lay you get a cement mixer.......... Makes for a better finish and still takes an expert to make the brickwork placement good.

Machines were invented to make the process more accurate and consistent, not to take away the knowledge or love of cooking........ When I was a kid, I would have to beat a gallon of whipping cream into thick cream every other day at my mothers hotel....... the head chef made me do it by hand for a while until I could do it and then he allowed me to use the big mixer......
We are not debating the easiest way of feeding an army, or suppling restaurant food , but the pleasure of playing with creating small quantities.

Its a bit like using a roller and tray for painting. A roller covers large area, does it well with a beautiful finish, but does it satisfy the artist in you?

Quote:
A Thermomix does not take away from cooking. It still requires knowledge and ability.
Really?
From the link Nadine gave:

"Thanks to the programmable memory and the perfect temperature control, HotmixPRO Creative can guarantee constant, standardized, and optimal results. You can even let your staff use it. As long as they use your recipe (and the same ingredients of course), no one will be able to see the difference. You can also share your recipes with your friends, your fellow chefs, or other restaurants of your chain."

Seems to me it with a recipe and ingredients someone with zero knowledge of cooking could "cook" with it .

Quote:
Look up Luddites in Wiki.........
Luddite: "a person opposed to increased industrialisation"

Industrialising cooking? Sacrilege!
I made a batch of sweet yeast loaves the other day. Kneading the bread was such a pleasure - feeling the sticky dough between my fingers transform and become more and more elastic with each rhythmic movement of my hands, having the heady aroma of cardamom and orange drift up in waves. This is nothing like throwing the ingredients in a breadmaker and pressing a few buttons. Yes, I had a bread maker back home and loved waking up to freshly baked bread in the mornings. But this satisfied a love of eating, not a love of cooking.

Nadine, the OP said she had a love of cooking. "Industrialising" cooking is not, in my very humble opinion, indulging in a love of it.

SWL (aka the "Culinary Luddite" and loving it )

Old 22-05-2015, 00:31   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hahahahaha

I see Seaworthy is replying..........

Incidentally...... in Spain a used Thermomix is about 400-550 EU

I know where to get good ones in Mallorca
Old 22-05-2015, 00:38   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The second you use a mixer....... you could use a Thermomix.
The second you temper something........you could use a thermomix
The second you blend something..... you could use a thermomix

Its not about replacing cooking skills Luddite Lass......... its about using the right tools in the right part of the process.

Old 22-05-2015, 00:47   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
hahahahaha
I see Seaworthy is replying..........
I just snuck in before you .

Old 22-05-2015, 00:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I just snuck in before you .

My favourite Australian duo demo-ing the thermomix....... I laughed for ages..

Tags
food