Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 17:53   #16

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: Thinking of going CHARCOAL to GAS grill; how?

I'm with Matt. I have a Magma Catalina grill on my 37' Uniflite CC. It has worked like a champ for years.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:22   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have two X 20 # tanks. A fault in the grill piping emptied one tank over about two weeks. Our friends have a totally separate small diameter vertical six-pounder on the rail just for the grill. I think this is way preferable.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:26   #18

Both cook your food.
One of those tastes better when the food is cooked.
I can hardly ever control the propane flare ups.
Have both and prefer the taste of wood.
Good luck.
Jas0381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:54   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

A few options I have tried. You can find refillable one pound cylinders and refill them from your spare tank. I found this to still be a pain. So I just pull my spare tank out from the locker and use a hose when I grill. I make sure to use this in a way that any propane leak will not enter the boat or a closed space. Swim platform works well.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 19:56   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have done a similar conversion, from charcoal to gas.
  1. Bought a Magma gas BBQ gril, the parts to convert from charcoal is not worth it.
  2. "T" into your gas line AFTER the regulator and solenoid.
  3. Install a small valve so you can turn off the gas flow to the grill
  4. Run a line (hose) from from the T and the valve to the grill, through a vent or existing opening, I used the cowl vent nearby.
  5. Put on quick disconnect fitting on the end of the hose so you can disconnect the gas line and put it in the locker
  6. Buy the low pressure valve and fittings from Magma to use the low pressure gas, including the quick disconnect fitting

This approach means you can use the same gas supply as the rest of your boat, including the solenoid and regulator. With the small valve you stop gas from leaking out the quick disconnect fittings which may not be perfectly tight when no BBQ is attached.

When going to sea you disconnect the gas line, stow it, and disconnect the BBQ, remove it, and stow that also.

I've used this approach for over 25 years. It works well and is good seamanship.

One note: the Magma products don't last long. I BBQ about 5 times a week and the Magma grill lasts about two years, the burner goes out first. You can however make a new burner from the bottom of a beer can. Lasts longer than the magma version.

When you use the system, put on some good blues and take a glass of scotch. It's a great way to relax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85-3191-Ready to BBQ.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	220926  
Old 08-08-2020, 23:16   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Charcoal is safer--does not require special storage. Gas is a potential bomb if not stored correctly, sometimes difficult to obtain, but very convenient if you already have some aboard.

I have a gas barbie--and it uses canisters of gas. If I am cooking for about four people it will use a cheap disposable butane canister. If I am cooking for just the two of us, I can get more than one use out of it. I store them in a deck locker in plastic zip-lock bags to stop them going rusty. My barbie is stainless steel and cost me about eighty bucks--but mine does not need to go as large as that. My previous one was half that size and also stainless, and it used charcoal. Great except that one could not do a roast in it.

In America there is a nice little stainless canister barbie for about fifty bucks. You get what you pay for though, and not all stainless steels are equal. Wash any barbie down in fresh water after use and store it under a cover to keep the salt spray off it.

My friends who travel a lot and barbie outdoors all of the time swear by the gas powered Webers, but they are Gypsies not sailors.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 00:29   #22

Boat: currently boatless

Love our LPG BBQ. It has a plate and grill or can be converted to either. Forget the marine BBQs, from my experience they are rediculously exspensive and hate the wind. We have a unit very similar to a Weber mounted on our stern. The burner is stainless and the units are alloy and wont rust. BBQ or roast or even make scones and you will have the benefit of spending way less money. Our gas bottle is mounted to the rail and is turned on and off on each operation.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 00:33   #23

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

Had a Magna on our boat, propane source. There was no low, med, high...just high.

On Land, bought a nice new name brand propane grill. wasted no time converting it to lava rocks above the burners. wow, nice difference. The heat was diffuse, spread out, and oh the wonderful smoky carcinogens. If the rocks could be kept from moving, they might make a quite acceptable modification to the Magna.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:19   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Gas grills rock.....

I got the Magma Catalina IR model....good size, great taste, no fuss. You have to buy a set of rail mounts as well, but they do have built in legs for use on land - mine spends the winter on my porch ready to grill...

Matt
Is this the one?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma...rill--15972599
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 02:35   #25

I enjoy cooking with Charcoal at night, but I also like the convenience of cooking breakfast with gas. does any one know of a duel fuel gas/charcoal marine (or even household) BBQ/ grill?

or has anyone tried fitting a charcoal tray in a gas unit (or vise versa)?
Fendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 09:40   #26

Strongly recommend using Weber portable grill - not as stylish, but better performing and arguably - longer lasting (due to parts availability and lower cost). Use with big tank and never worry about grill fuel.

Tapping into stove tank/line is likely against the code/original design and is something that may cause your insurance to deny coverage or payout in case anything happens.

Good reading for reference
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-173684.html
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:27   #27

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
Strongly recommend using Weber portable grill - not as stylish, but better performing and arguably - longer lasting (due to parts availability and lower cost). Use with big tank and never worry about grill fuel.

Tapping into stove tank/line is likely against the code/original design and is something that may cause your insurance to deny coverage or payout in case anything happens.

George_Sd, I would really be surprised if supplying multiple devices from one regulated propane source is against anyone's code or a possible reason to deny insurance claims.

Many boats (and houses) have more than one propane appliance running off of one tank system. You need to make sure it is T'd off after the regulator, use proper fittings and hoses, and that there is a shut off valve for each appliance.

For a gas BBQ which uses small camping bottles (such as a Magma) you need a low pressure control valve, available from Magma or marine suppliers, if you are planning to run it off of the same tanks as your main propane stove.

It is better to use the main propane supply than hang a separate tank off the railing, which is unsightly and unseaworthy.

As for the use of Weber BBQ, I don't have an opinion on that. I've always used Magma but I admit that they don't last for much over 3 years of continuous usage in a salt water environment but parts are available (world wide). We are on our fourth Magma kettle in 34 years and it is getting to the point where I need to spend some money on it, which I will. I use it 4-5 nights a week.

We have two gas bottles, one in use and one spare. It supplies the stove, water heater, and BBQ.
Old 21-10-2020, 17:49   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Slight thread drift.....Wingssail what sort of gas water heater do you have?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 18:33   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have two X 20 # tanks. A fault in the grill piping emptied one tank over about two weeks. Our friends have a totally separate small diameter vertical six-pounder on the rail just for the grill. I think this is way preferable.
You left a 20lb. bottle of propane open and unused for two weeks ?
Old 21-10-2020, 18:36   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post

There is no "code" for propane in pleasure craft in Canada or the US. Adding a second line to another appliance is within ABYC standards if done properly.

Tags
arc, Grill