Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 08:51   #31

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Three burners vs 2 burners stove

I had a 2 burner on a charter and did not like it. When we ended up buying the same type boat, I switched it out for a 3 burner. We do use ours. The other plus is that the oven is much larger.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:56   #32

Two burners is fine... especially for a 6 month cruise. I've had both, the problem with 3 burners is they aren't big enough to put anything but small pans on anyway. You put a big fry pan on a 3 burner and can only really get another on there. If you are cruising south to warm climes, you may find yourself cooking on the BBQ a lot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 09:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
we have a 3. never used more than 2. would prefer 2 larger burners to the 3 smaller ones we have.
Simple. And true.

We have a two burner and even then large pots have difficulty fitting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 09:22   #34

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 and counting View Post
........... The only reason I'm not complaining about having 3 is that I figure one of the burners will eventually fail, doesn't everything? So I have an extra in case. .........
My thought is, if something fails, I will repair it. It's unlikely that something as simple as a gas burner would fail. You have a metal piece with a bunch of holes, a thermocouple and a valve.
Old 27-11-2014, 10:05   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I also have an induction hob which I use with a portable generator. You want hot water....... Two minutes!!
those things hustle.........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 10:37   #36

Boat: FP Antigua 37

Hi,
Changed our 4-burner where all four were the same size to a Eno 3-burner where all three are different sized. Excellent Hob and we use all three for different cooking
/petter
Moonskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 16:51   #37

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

We have 3 burner stove and wife likes to cook and is great chef. Hardly ever used more than two burners. 90% one burner. Also have BBQ on back rail used 12 months/ yr. There are many books/ recipes for one pot meals. Despite how the term sounds... they taste great, easy to prepare in a seaway, rough anchorage, anywhere. And easy to store/ reheat next time and eventually clean-up after (my department).

Also highly recommend you get/ use a new technology pressure cooker (they are very safe now). Faster/ easier/ better/ tasting (one pot) meals. Also saves whatever fuel your stove uses because of the 1/2 to 1/4 cooking times.

Save your stove replacement $$ and figure out how to install (even a very small) microwave oven. They can easily run on inverter juice because they don't need to run long. Great for warming up leftovers... 1-2 minutes. Also preferred in Summer and in Caribbean when stove heat/ cabin heat is NOT your friend. Boil cup of water in 1 minute... you probably know all about normal benefits of microwave... now multiply times 10 on a boat, especially with just two of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 19:47   #38

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3GAC View Post
............... Save your stove replacement $$ and figure out how to install (even a very small) microwave oven. They can easily run on inverter juice because they don't need to run long. Great for warming up leftovers... 1-2 minutes. Also preferred in Summer and in Caribbean when stove heat/ cabin heat is NOT your friend. Boil cup of water in 1 minute... you probably know all about normal benefits of microwave... now multiply times 10 on a boat, especially with just two of you.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
A very small cup. We may be splitting hairs here, but a mug of water will take somewhere around two minutes to boil using a practically sized microwave on a boat. And the microwave will not necessarily run easily on "inverter juice" because only the more expensive inverters provide pure sine wave power like the power in your home. The less expensive inverters provide "modified sine wave" power (essentially a square wave) and many microwaves have trouble starting or providing their advertised cooking power under these conditions. I did a rough test on mine once and it took about 20% longer to boil water using the inverter than using shore power.

That said, I am with you on the advantages and convenience of having a microwave on board and the battery bank and inverter to power it. We use ours a lot.
Old 05-01-2015, 14:20   #39

Have a 2 burner stove with oven, microwave, a £50 single ring induction hob , and electric kettle, hardly use gas at all. Do have large inverter and battery bank with ample means of charging. Can hardly get 2 decent sized pans on the 2 burner stove and a 3 burner has similar area.
Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote