Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2023, 12:26   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Tilia Foodsaver (vacuum pack/heat seal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
Might as well jump in to buck the trend. The previous owners left a vacuum sealer on Confianza. We tried to get in the habit of using it, but it never stuck. We usually just use ziplock bags and roll them to squeeze much of the air out before sipping. This has been fine to protect parts as well as food.

And we usually wash the bags to be able to reuse. We are always somehow generating too much plastic waste anyway.

But, whatever works for you to get the job done!
This is what we do for most things. I only vacuum bag my dried food before it goes into storage. Food dried and sealed properly can last for years this way. But once it is opened I just use good quality ziplock bags; mostly the freezer type.

It's not hard to compress most of the air out, usually by rolling. And of course we wash and reuse our bags. They can last for many rotations this way.

BTW, I know Foodsaver sealers use proprietary bags, but you can use any quality bag with them. To get the vacuum to work, just insert a small portion of their proprietary bag into the lip before vacuuming. I keep the trimmings from the proprietary bags for this reason. But the bags rolls are pretty cheap, and easy to use, so I admit I mostly use Foodsaver ones.
Old 17-05-2023, 14:57   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Dry good we have vacuum packed are exact amounts that fit in the Mason jars we keep at hand for storage in the galley, or that are used in one go, like a mix for baking bread. The bags are washed and stored as we take all our trash back.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 15:05   #18

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is what we do for most things. I only vacuum bag my dried food before it goes into storage. Food dried and sealed properly can last for years this way. But once it is opened I just use good quality ziplock bags; mostly the freezer type.

It's not hard to compress most of the air out, usually by rolling. And of course we wash and reuse our bags. They can last for many rotations this way.

BTW, I know Foodsaver sealers use proprietary bags, but you can use any quality bag with them. To get the vacuum to work, just insert a small portion of their proprietary bag into the lip before vacuuming. I keep the trimmings from the proprietary bags for this reason. But the bags rolls are pretty cheap, and easy to use, so I admit I mostly use Foodsaver ones.

We have been buying generic "foodsaver" bags on Amazon the past fewe years. They work very well. and at nearly 40% less $$$/.

Tags
food