Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 19:46   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Tips for Stowing Jars (Canned Goods) Aboard ?

I was thinking, half joking, of using bigger plastic tubs, filling the tubs with the jars and then pouring in the rice. No wasted space that way.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:35   #32

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch30C208 View Post
For cruisers who use Mason jars for canning: do you bring the empty jars home, drop them over the side in deep water, or take them ashore to the trash or (recycling)?
At the price of jars I'm not going to deliberately toss them! I store the empties until I have something to ship to my daughter and simply use a larger box and send them to her home. Once a year I visit and refill the jars, plus more. (Every time I go back it seems I add another dozen jars.)

Is it "economical" to ship them back? Maybe not, but since I add them to presents already heading that way I consider it a win-win situation. When I get to her house I'm ready. Yes, I know it's possible to use the pressure cooker on the boat but quite frankly, it is so much easier to use her electric range and just go at it.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32   #33
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I save the jars and carry extra lids and rings. Caught a 40-pound mahi-mahi, no refrigeration, canned it. It made the most divine chowder and fish cakes.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch30C208 View Post
For cruisers who use Mason jars for canning: do you bring the empty jars home, drop them over the side in deep water, or take them ashore to the trash or (recycling)?
If I have room for them full I have room for them empty. Clean and store.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12   #35

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

For mason jars and such, I go to the U-haul places and purchase the sleeves used for packing glasses. They are a thin foam material, I mark the outside with the contents and tape them around to secure the jars.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22   #36

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
doesn't come in plastic bottles and neither does my homemade chili and soups!
Further drift: I tried (Dollar Tree) a dehydrated powdered chili mix (brand name Vigo) that was surprisingly good. That said, I didn't follow the directions, however the powdered blend was a darn good base. It makes approximately 2 quarts and was rich.

Okay, I saute'd onions, added some minced garlic, a couple of real tomatoes and maybe 1/3 pound of hamburger. I didn't have the can of diced tomatoes suggested on the label. Anyway, next time I'll use about 1/3rd of the package and it will be about perfect.
It cooked "quickly" (forgot exact time) and was hearty -- perfect for those times you don't want to cook but do want to eat more than a peanut butter sandwich.

End of thread drift. (At least for now!)
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37   #37

I'm gonna second the towel idea. For my part, I always try to kill two birds as it were, so I stow the towels as wraps for breakables. You can weave a towel in and around the things as you pull towels out for use. hope that makes sense
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch30C208

RB
I use empty canning jars for storing leftovers or making a personal jars of ice tea. I cool them then refrigerate & tea gets cold quickly in the freezer after It holds small amounts of rice, sprouting seeds or beans etc in the galley so you don't have to dig out your large bags so often. I don't can now and still use the jars!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 08:43   #39

Throw away canning jars?!?! Are you mad? We even bought reusable Tattler lids so we don't need disposable anything. I suppose the rings will wear out eventually but I only need a couple dozen at a time and every time we get more jars they come with a of rings.
rattleshirt is offline   Reply With Quote